Who is your favorite singer and why?

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 11:54 pm
I love Justin Bieber. He's very talented.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 15 • Views: 11,739 • Replies: 63

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 12:02 am
@MorganBieber,
I always have a difficult time figuring out this answer as I love a lot of music and making a commitment to answering one is kind of a minor betrayal to the others I love.

But for the sake of writing a single name, I would say indee Rock singer/songwriter Aimee Mann. Wonderfully unique singing voice and a load of poppy yet still melancholic tunes.
MorganBieber

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 12:04 am
@tsarstepan,
Cool, never heard of her.
dadpad

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 01:05 am
@MorganBieber,
Janis or Bob for me.
they had something that spoke to a generation and still do.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 02:32 am
I love Greg Allmann. I think he has one of the best blues voices of anyone ever - black or white- and I love the songs he sings/writes.
He is the only singer/songwriter I can think of whose stuff I am always in the mood for. I never skip through a song or turn the channel of the radio when he comes on.
He's also an incredibly talented keyboardist and guitarist.

And he's still alive and kicking after a liver transplant last year. He's playing Birmingham in July.l

Francis

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 02:48 am
My favorite these days is Melody Gardot:

djjd62

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 05:10 am
@MorganBieber,

this is perhaps my favourite Aimee Mann song

as for me, my favourite would have to be Paul Heaton (The Housemartins/The Beautiful South)

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 09:13 am
Gots to be this guy
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 09:17 am
ak ak ak
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 09:37 am
@MorganBieber,
These days it is Daniel Taylor, counter-tenor.

There is an extraordinary richness to his voice in all registers.

He can fill a hall with sound without being miked.

I first saw him perform when he was about Justin Bieber's age. It is amazing how his voice developed. It was beautiful when he was in his teens, but now there is so much more emotion in his expression.

I'm not a fan of voices that have to be miked.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 09:52 am
@tsarstepan,
I'm with you on Aimee. I love the pop hooks.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 09:54 am
@aidan,
Quote:
I love Greg Allmann.

Uh Huh
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 09:58 am
@djjd62,
Here's my favorite. Amazing live version.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 10:42 am
Actually, I can't tell you who is my favorite. I love several, for a number of reasons.

Dylan: His songs are so varied, ranging from insightful or political, to humorous, beautiful, story telling. In his best days, he could perform those songs better than anybody.

Leonard Cohen: From the complex to the simple, from the deep mysteries to the carnal pleasures - It's hard to match Leonard.

Harry Belafonte: Another multifaceted artist. He considered himself a folk singer, performing worldwide folk songs. Most remember him for Calypso. His most popular albums were Calypso and Jump Up Calypso.

Bobby Darin. Went from rock n roll to performing and writing a wide range of music and doing most of it very well.

Judy Collins. Beautiful performances through a long career of different kinds of songs.

Buffy Sainte-Marie. Activist performer. Author of some very good music. Won Academy Award for Up Where We Belong

I could go on for another page -
panzade

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 10:47 am
Like tsar said, it's hard to pick a singer but I think Joni Mitchell has been a constant in my life since 1968. Sadly her voice has deepened and got huskier but this tune from 1969 reveals an ethereal angelic sound that I've never heard matched.

Of course nowadays singers come in a package of video, gossip and glamour so it's hard to tell how talented they really are.
Eleni Mandel is someone I really like these days. She writes her own quirky pop tarts that appeal to me.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 10:54 am
I don't know if she's my favorite of all time, but Trixie Whitley gives me the shivers in a good way.

Sturgis

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 10:56 am
Dave Van Ronk is the main one but there are several contenders for second place. Why? His mannerisms, style, delivery...everything he did was and is pure joy to me each and every day.
o
Among the living I'll split between Bob Seger, Merle Haggard and Joan Baez, different days I have different moods.
panzade

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 11:02 am
@Francis,
Quote:
My favorite these days is Melody Gardot:

I can see why Francis; she's a modern day Edith Piaf but just a little less vibrato in her voice.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 11:03 am
@edgarblythe,
I concur edgar. Those are the stalwarts of modern popular music
panzade

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 11:05 am
@LionTamerX,
WOW! I gotta get me some Trixie!
0 Replies