'To Have Peace, Prepare For War'

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 12:28 pm
'To Have Peace, Prepare For War' This is a quote that I stumbled across on the internet a while ago and it has stuck in my head since for one reason. I am still pondering the question of is it true? What do you think? I believe that in fact the speaker of these may in fact have been right because if you want peace in my opinion then you will inevitably have war before you have peace because there will always be someone trying to oppose you and who doesn't think the same way as you. So are the people who get peace the ones with the biggest armies? Because for their to be utter peace in this world does that not mean that everyone else would have to die if they did not agree. Think back to the tactics of Ghengis Khan. He was a man hundreds of years ago who united the Mongol nation and made them into a war machine. Every Mongol travelled with him and together the nation conquered much land. In this land Ghengis kept peace for one reason. The people of the lands he conquered feared him and his people. They were so ruthless and such good warriors that they would kill whole cities if they rebelled and the Mongols had already proved this. So also the inevitable question is does peace only come from fear? And do we truly want utter peace because surely you must know that to have utter peace in this world millions would have to die?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,124 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 12:37 pm
Si vis pacem, para bellum, if you want peace, prepare for war, is a Latin proverb of the Romans. In the world in which they lived, it was a very apposite idea.
kuvasz

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 04:43 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 05:01 pm
@kuvasz,
Oh, that's a classic, Boss, best lines that boy ever delivered . . .

. . . to hear zhe lah-mentations of zhe vimmin . . .

Cracks me up every time . . .
0 Replies