INNIE OR OUTIE?

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 09:46 am
Quote:
however to let a little discomfort with closet agoraphobia rob you of the intense pleasure of being part of an 'event/performance', not obtainable from media of any quality level, makes none.

I don't feel robbed at all. That does not mean I will not go to an event, if it is something that I really want to see. As far as "performance", I have a high fidelity sound system that rivals a concert performance. If I were in N.Y., I would still go to Carnegie Hall, as I did when I lived in the City. Now THAT is an experience. I have been to the concert halls in my area, and believe me, the music sounds better in my house.

I have a 50" TV and digital cable connected to external speakers. I can see just about all the movies that I want, without being forced to listen to the yakety yak of the busybodies sitting around me in the movies.

Hey, I might just go out and hit the sales today in the department stores.

I think that I am at a point in time, where I relish my comfort.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 10:16 am
Phoenix; just don't become so preoccupied with tech interconnectivity, tht you miss the best aspects of humanity - 'sharing emotional highs'.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 10:19 am
Perhaps that is something that extroverts cherish more than introverts. It's not like Phoenix (or I, or anyone else) doesn't ever share a high with another person.

And, it makes me feel bad to think I might be defficient in that way. I speand way too much time worrying about my introverted tendencies as it is, thankyouverymuch.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 11:01 am
I don't fret being introverted . . . and when i do go out into public, i put on a show . . . i feed people lines, i flirt with nearly every female in sight, i throw expressions at them they weren't expecting to hear . . .

She: Hi !

Me: No i'm not . . . do i look high? . . . can other people tell?

She: Heeheeheeheeheeheeheeheehee

Me: I wish i were . . .

She: Heeheeheehee . . . you quit now . . .

Extroverts are so eay . . .
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 11:04 am
I'm pretty much with Bo on this. I need my human contact for real highs.

I don't like listening to recorded music, regardless of the quality of the recording or the equipment. I need to be there with the musicians, being part of the experience. I don't have a lot of interest in listening to someone else's concert experience. I guess it's one of the reasons I don't listen to that much music on the radio - unless I'm in the car - and then I'm still usually looking for the CBC or NPR on the dial.

I need to be out there mixing it up with people fairly regularly. I'm not good in a job where I don't have a lot of people contact. Working at home was a disaster in the past. I stopped getting out, and got very depressed.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 11:06 am
hmmmmmmmmmmmm
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 03:03 pm
I wanted to be ther at Bernsteins
conducting the nY philharmonic doing the Beethoven 9th on the occassion of the dropping of the Berlin Wall ( of course,in Berlin). That, to me, would have been a big lifetime checkmark. I would have checked my I at the door and gone nuts with the rest.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 03:46 pm
kerver wrote:
I thought you were talkin about belly buttons

Innie.

Except those couple of times when I was pregnant, then I was an outie.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 09:23 pm
truth
I don't like crowds that are jam packed. I could never permit myself to stand in Times Square New Years Eve. But I do enjoy large groups of people, especially if I know most of them. I would like to have company over for dinner once a week. I love to spend time with friends in a restaurant or coffee house. But I actually spend a lot of time at home, painting, A2King, playing the fiddle and reading--and meditating the first forty minutes of my waking day. I pretty much have that introverted part of my life well organized. I A2K while painting,back and forth from studio to study. Then I play the fiddle for short (half hour) bursts about three or four times a day. Then I read literature during the last two or three hours of the day. I do ALL of the shopping for food. My wife appreciates this because she is slightly agoraphobic (which prohibits my once-a-week dinners). But like Farmerman, I can't be completely trusted with the check book. I love to do impulse buying of exotic foods. Enough about me. How about you? What do YOU think of me?
P.S. I consider myself an introverted extrovert because when I'm with others I tend to focus on my insides, as it were.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 09:34 pm
All my life I have been morbidly shy, though in the past ten or so years I have learned to hide it somewhat. I believe the shyness came natural, since my mother was the same way - But it was re-enforced by a bullying step father, who made it a mission of his to make me grow up stupid and inconsequential.
I love to go to concerts and I now don't mind going to parties and the like with my wife. But, I dearly love to sit home with my records and CDs.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 09:44 pm
ooooohhh {{{{Edgar}}}}
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 11:12 pm
I'm definitely an introvert. And quite shy. Yet I constantly surprise myself at my ease in social situations & enjoyment of them, when I might have been dreading them before hand.
But as much as I enjoy the compamy of people, at times I MUST have time to myself or I'll begin to become quite fretful. Then it's back to the bat cave to become engrossed in a book for a whole day, just sit on the back verandah & meditate for hours, become totally involved in my garden, hire a video, dream ....
I think I'd find it very hard to live under the same roof with another person now, no matter how much I liked them. The constant interraction would feel too draining & demanding.
0 Replies

NNY

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 03:00 am
I always thought I was an introvert, I live in my mind after all, why not? It seems as I have a need to concern myself with others and feel a connection or some kind of Identification with others. I have no Idea what I am, far too many factors that make what I am, it's hard to divide into left or right, it's forgetting all these thousands of things that make how a person responds to others.
0 Replies

Aressler

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 11:46 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I have come to the conclusion that I am an "extroverted introvert."

Haha I like that.

I would have to say that I would be one too. I am always around a crowd.. I guess you could say that I like attention modestly, but I could not live without being along. That is one of the only true places in which you can derive intuition from yourself. It is quite hard to be around a group of people and think like you would alone. On the other hand, being with the group allows you to derive a lot of very useful things as well in which you couldn't otherwise.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 03:44 pm
truth
Yes, I am like Phoenix, a sociable introvert. The mere fact that I sit for hours at the PC each day interacting with bright, interesting people shows my sociability. But I'm doing so alone (together with painting and playing the fiddle and reading literature). This suggests introversion, the pleasures I have while alone. On the other hand, I visit my wife in other rooms regularly throughout the day and friends throughout the week/month. The best of both worlds. My wife disagrees, accusing me of extreme extroversion, of interacting with A2Kers because of lack of opportunity to interact in the flesh. This is--I'm happy to say--her only complaint. But it is understandable given her relative sociophobia.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 04:01 pm
I took that test, MB, fairly recently and have forgotten the results. I remember arguing with some about some of the questions having more than one answer, given this or that situation, and that one's answer might be swayed by the day's mood or a recent experience. People responded that the test is regarded as quite reliable and that people tend to test the same over years' time.

I suppose I should take it again, so I can name the category I fit into. Certainly it was introvert, but I don't remember the adjective.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 04:12 pm
truth
Could it be "damned" introverted?
Cool
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 04:41 pm
It could be, it could be...
0 Replies

gozmo

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 07:41 am
A psychiatrist once told me that my inner life was so rich I had little need for reality. Does that mean I'm an introvert?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 03:28 pm
truth
I won't say what I think it means, but good luck. And please give my best to Napolean; I failed to say good bye to him the last time we met.
0 Replies