Dehydrating fruits and veggies

Delicia

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 05:48 pm
I really want to dehydrate an extremely large amount of fruits and veggies in the event of a major emergency whereby a large group/family can eat for many, many months if necessary. I would appreciate any and all ideas, suggestions, and knowledgible advice as to how to go about this and still be cost effective as I live on Social Security. Thank you.

Green Witch

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 06:01 pm
@Delicia,
I would suggest you buy the book Making & Using Dried Foods by Phyllis Hobson. It's covers many ways to dry and properly store all kinds of edibles. If you live in the country you should speak to farmers about gleaning (meaning you can go back over a crop after it has been professionally picked and take any leftovers). If you live in a city, talk to grocery managers about being allowed to buy in bulk or buying vegetables that are marked down due to age (often doesn't matter when drying). You can also go to farmers' markets and make deals to buy bushels and baskets of produce for less than full retail. Cheapest is to grow your own.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 08:23 pm
You might consider a vaccume preserving unit such as Fowlers vacola as an alternative to drying.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 08:34 pm
you can dehydrate in your own stove so do not think you have to buy expensive equipment.

but

on google, just type in your ideas. You will get many links about what it is you want to do and just take some time and read them all. You will be able to find many suggestions, stories of failure, success and tips.

I would start with " how to dehydrate ( what ever fruit you have) "
Then move on to " how to dehydrate in mass quantities "
THEN.. how to dehydrate in stove..

so on and so forth.
With google, you can almost type in any question you can possibly think of and get your answer. Probably more information that way then here. I do not think there are a lot of people here who are into that.

( i do it! )
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 10:51 pm
This site has instructions for making homemade dehydrators:

http://www.dehydratorbook.com/homemade-dehydrator.html

And here's Alton Brown's do-it-yourself dehydrator:

It has the video from his Good Eats show as well as a transcription:

http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/Season11/dried_fruit/witheringbites.htm
0 Replies