Jeapardy, Monopoly, Clue, Wheel of Fortune, Candyland.......

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 07:36 pm
From Hi Ho Cherry O when I was 4 to Scrabble the other night, I love playing games. Board games, computer games, tv game show games....whatever. The ones I suck at too. My husband & a lot of people I know don't play games as often as I'd like. When I was in high school I would call a friend of mine (on whom I had a crush) and we would play jeapardy against each other while it was on tv....I get online mostly to play gin or scrabble sorry even the occassional monopoly game, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE to sit down on the floor (criss cross apple sauce as my 4 year old says) with a coke and a board game and just get it on.

As the game is played, the good times seem to just roll on and memories are made. Fun is made of family and friends, jokes are told, stories remember, cheaters called out in jest, winners jump up and dance around and strut as they tell you 'let's play again' and make light-hearted jokes about the slow pace of the loser, or the lack of money in their 'bank'. Family is just family when you're playing board-games.

I have become a Monopoly collector and so far I have 15 versions, 2 of which are collectibles and 1 is a limited editition collectible. I simply love games and the good feeling they bring.

Has anyone noticed a genral decline in the playing of games? Does the world (our children) find much more fun in doing things solo these days? I look around me and see so many kids playing their video & computer games alone...where have the days gone when kids would go outside and play? Sit in the garage or the car port or in each other's rooms and play uno or clue or whatever!!!.

What games do you enjoy most?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,191 • Replies: 36
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 12:55 am
I would have to say my favorite game is "Chutes and Ladders" -- challenging, thought-provoking, filled with unbearably tense moments.

Sometimes, after a particularly intense game, I find myself drenched in sweat.

Thanks for asking, Onyxelle. I think I'll round up some of the boys tonight and get a game goin'.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 01:05 am
Texas Hold'em. If you've never played...don't. :wink:
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 03:30 am
Onyxelle, I absolutely agree. Saturday night, I + my 3 sons in their 20s played Cluedo; they love board games and I'm confident will take it into the next generation (and they are also cool and have loads of friends, in case anyone should be thinking what saddos to be sitting playing board games with Mum on a Saturday night!) They love Diplomacy which is a very interesting and challenging game; also we play lots of word games. Yesterday with my cousin's family we played 'Analogies' - one person thinks of someone in the room and answers questions about him/her like 'If this person were a car/famous building/plant, what sort would they be?' The aim is to guess who it is, of course.

Any new good board games out there? Most of them are variations on Monopoly or Snakes and Ladders, just getting round a board and winning, have been disappointed with many. Then there are the truth/dare type games which ask searching questions.

Let's hear it for games!!
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 05:31 am
In my family, games were a substitute for communication. While my parent's marriage was going stale small talk was replaced by the sound of the dice.

I enjoy games. I used to play bridge untill I ran out of friendly folk to play with and started playing with people who were much better than I, and would rather criticize than teach. I used to play cribbage with my father, but after the colossal shunning Mrs SealPoet and I got this past week, I don't think I'll be there again. My last memory of my grandfather was playing cribbage on my mother's back deck. One of the cards blew off the deck, and as I got down to retrieve it from under I lay down on a still burning cigarette butt.

Bought my youngest a backgammon board for Christmas. He seems pretty pleased (because he can beat his big brother.)
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 07:23 am
Quote:
Texas Hold'em. If you've never played...don't.

Why would you say that, Bill? Texas hold 'em is one of my favorite games. I travel to the card club on a weekly basis and the game has been very, very good to me.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 07:28 am
I know why he'd say that. I can't afford to learn...
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 07:31 am
Ahh, yes, that does make sense Seal. Forgive me for my hasty judgement.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 08:05 am
what is texas hold 'em?

does it have anything to do with big sexy guys that my husband doesn't have to know about????
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 11:52 am
I love trivial pursuit. In my family, we all think we are brilliant but the game decides, and who ever wins gets to wear the crown till the next match.
I like scrabble too.
If it were poker, you'd all be nekkid...
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 12:02 pm
We played cards more than boardgames in my house. Gin Rummy, Trump, Pitty Pat. In college, academic college that is, we played Bid Whist for hours and hours in the student union. Hardly ever went to class. In art school, we never, ever played cards. Different curriculum, tho. Different setup altogether.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 12:12 pm
I love card games and board games. The nieces and nephews list that as one of the reasons that I'm just a big kid. Trivial Pursuit was a big favorite of mine when it was new, but haven't played it lately.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 05:15 pm
onyxelle wrote:
what is texas hold 'em?

does it have anything to do with big sexy guys that my husband doesn't have to know about????

Texas hold'em is a fast paced variation of poker that is reputed to "take a minute to learn and a lifetime to master". It can be expensive to learn and should be avoided by those with a propensity to become degenerate gamblers, as it is quite addictive and lots of fun. :wink:
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 05:17 pm
Scrabble, Monopoly, Backgammon, Cribbage ... I love my games. I'm manic about a couple of card games, particularly Canasta.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 05:25 pm
Ever play Euchre, every player I've ever met was from Canadas eastern seaboard and subsequently moved west.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 05:27 pm
I'm not from the seaboard, but I'll admit to almost missing a final exam while in university, because I was so engrossed in a euchre game.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 08:25 pm
Euchre is very popular in Wisconsin as well, though I would never have guessed how to spell it. Perfect for foursomes of friends, as it requires very little attention and allows for plenty of conversation. I wish I knew some cool people who played it here in Palm Beach.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 08:29 pm
Wisconsin!

Are you a cheese-head, O'Bill?

gotta run - I'm playing Brickout right now.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 08:35 pm
Euchre, which i've not seen in most of the country, flourishes, it seems, in regional pockets, Chicago and northern Illinois are obsessive about it, as are parts of North Carolina . . . fascinatin' game, you can play well when yer drunk, or you can play one of the fastest, most cut-throat competition team games i ever seen . . .

Fascinatin' rhythm ! ! !
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 08:54 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Wisconsin!

Are you a cheese-head, O'Bill?

gotta run - I'm playing Brickout right now.

Shocked Does my new Avatar answer your question? :wink:
0 Replies