Is anyone aware of good sources of non-copyright images available on the net?

dlowan

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 11:43 pm
What I need is images of communities, families, adult men and women, little children, medium children and teenagers expressing various emotions.

The emotions I need are happiness, sadness, anger, shame, excitement, confusion, horror and embarrassment.

I need not just faces, but whole body really obvious expressions of these emotions

I need as many races/cultures/nationalities as possible.

There used to be scads of images that came with early computers, but I am damned if can find anything....or at least I can find stuff but I am concerned it is copyright.

Damned if I knw how to tag this.

msolga

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 11:46 pm
@dlowan,
Sorry, I'm not able to help, Deb, but I suspect the tsar might have a clue or two!
He seems to have some good stuff up his sleeve for special posts.
dlowan

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 11:54 pm
@msolga,
Bless both of you, I hope you are right...but are his glories non copyrighted?

This is for something that I hope will be used widely and I don't want to get us sued!
msolga

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 11:56 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
I don't want to get us sued!

Oh I can appreciate that!
I wouldn't want that, either. Smile

Good luck, I hope someone comes up with the goods.
dlowan

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 12:02 am
@msolga,
Don't you teachers have all manner of secret teachers' business thingies secreted away that might help?

msolga

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 12:07 am
@dlowan,
Well of course, Deb.
But I can't divulge the details or they'll no longer be secret teachers' business! The other teachers will then be very angry with me! Razz

But seriously ... I'll have a look see & see what I can find.
How's that?
dlowan

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 12:22 am
@msolga,
You're great!

Actually, I am finding some stuff...I now have to find out if it's free to use for publication.

Hell of a lot of Aboriginal art sitting there. I wonder if they really DID release the images?

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 12:33 am
@dlowan,
If $1 or so an image is ok then I recommend istockphoto.com.

The requirements you have are hard to fulfill on any free site I know of, and the time you'll save in search might pay for the images.

Incidentally, what you are looking for are usually called "royalty-free" images, and that might be useful to your search queries for such sites.
msolga

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 12:33 am
@dlowan,
Sorry for what must have appeared as my indifference earlier, Deb.
But I misunderstood. I was thinking you needed emoticons (which is why I suggested the tsar. He's the king of emoticons! )
Images (photographic & other) are a lot easier!
I should read more carefully.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 12:40 am
@dlowan,
So you mean images something like this?
(Crikey, that's BIG!)

But not just faces, but whole bodies, from different cultures?
Which are not under copyright restricts?
Gotcha (I hope)!

http://mrg.bz/1jHMc8
dlowan

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 12:42 am
@Robert Gentel,
Thank you!!! For both bits of information.

I am happy to pay a bit so will look up istock.photo. and any others that don't cost the earth that people know about.

The devil seems to be in whether you may copy the presentation with the images in it.....I am writig something that might be widely used in Central Australia....but if people just had to pay a few dollars per presentation copy, then that's life.

The sites I have seen so far charge a lot more.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 12:45 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
The sites I have seen so far charge a lot more.

Yeah, istockphoto's big draw is price (plus it's not that bad). I wish you'd posted this a day or so earlier. Yesterday I used up my credits there that were about to expire (they last a year) and had to find ways to use them that I thought might later come in handy. I could have given you $100 or so of photos but ended up trying to guess what I might need later.

Incidentally, these sites can also be found by searching for "stock photography".
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 12:45 am
@msolga,
You have got me! We want a bunch of different races to make reinforce that the problems we are trying to help these communities with are world wide problems....not problems only in their communities.

Drawings are FINE!!!! It's risky using photos of Aboriginal people in the mix because it's intensely bad to show photos of the recently dead.....but DRAWINGS
dlowan

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 12:47 am
Robert and Olga...thank you both again.

Heck, I've been going crazy with this for all sorts of reasons, and this might just work!!!

Generally one wishes for Aboriginal people in pretty much all the graphics for teaching in the Lands....but this project and subject is really delicate and I need a real balance.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 12:58 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
It's risky using photos of Aboriginal people in the mix because it's intensely bad to show photos of the recently dead.....

Absolutely.
An issue of extreme sensitivity for aboriginal people.
Understood. (The ABC has educated us very well on this.)

So, you eventually plan to publish something, including the images, Deb?
(hence the copyright concerns?)
dlowan

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 01:11 am
@msolga,
Well, legally I don't know if it's published or not!!!

I am writing material attempting to give understanding to indigenous communities, families, men's and women's groups about an issue that is very sensitive. When I come up with the thing, and it has been pulled to pieces and re-done enough to make sure EVERYONE is unhappy with at least part of it, it becomes a resource freely given to anyone with the expertise to use it.

It will have several levels so can be aimed at different sorts of groups depending upon who they and the presenters are...eg you'd want a female presenter to go really deep into the subject with the women, and a male presenters for the men...unless the men give permission for a woman to give it, and for the men only to then remain and discuss it. We had indigenous women presenting some material recently, and then the sexes broke up to discuss. That went beautifully...but it's cultural dynamite...you have to keep pushing the envelope without creating a nuclear explosion.

So....I guess it's SORT of published...but definitely not for profit.

But, if the damn thing ends up being useful, you'd want it used anywhere it might help...so these things can end up travelling quite widely.
msolga

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 01:18 am
@dlowan,
I understand, Deb.

Very important work which needs to be approached with extreme sensitivity.

All the very best of luck to you & the others involved!
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 01:42 am
I googled "pictures of fearful (sad)(happy) people", and got a variety of stuff--obviously staged shots, line drawings, caricatures, some moving photos, in a variety of situations and groups (don't just stick with the first results page__click on the header above the pictures on page 1 of the results and it'll usually take you to many many pages of pix). It;s a heavily mixed bag but some of them looked promising. Not sure how you'd tell about copyright. Some obviously will tell you in the URL or at the site it came from, or they'll be overprinted with something to make it unusable as it is. There was a book that somebody, it might have been MOMA, put out in the 50s called "Family of Man" that had hundreds of hgih-quality photos of people in all kinds of situations from all around the world. Some of those might work. They might go easy on rights for something essentially non-profit, I don't know.
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 01:49 am
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=family+of+man&x=15&y=25

okay, it was MOMA that put it out, Edward Steichen took the photos (or maybe selected them) and Carl Sandburg wrote the words. Wouldn't be surprised if it's in the Adelaide library--it got world-wide circulation for decades after it came out.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 01:58 am
@MontereyJack,
Thank you for looking, MJ...but I need sites where the copyright issue is clear.

I am emailing a couple to get some d=sort of determination about how widely I can disseminate the images once paid for...then I need to examine closely whether they have what I want.

A very expensive site has some wonderful stuff, but I just can't afford it, and neither, I suspect, can any of our agencies.