Is anyone aware of good sources of non-copyright images available on the net?

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 02:02 am
another option of course is to find a pic you like and then email them and ask. might be cheaper in the long run, if more time-consuming.
Roberta

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 05:33 am
@dlowan,
Major publishing companies often have photo editors--people who spend their time collecting usable pictures. My contacts with publishing companies are long gone. But you might want to contact one or two, ask for the photo editor, explain your nonprofit purpose, and ask about sources. It may work; it may not. But I know they know. Sorry I can't be of more help.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 05:33 am
@dlowan,
Why do you want to know? Are you going to produce a comic?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 05:34 am
@dlowan,
A few -- these may or may not be of help; I have used these images for articles:
http://www.photos8.com/
http://www.photoxpress.com/
http://www.publicdomainpictures.net/
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 06:09 am
During my blogging days, I used to hear about this source quite a bit:

http://www.flickr.com/creativecommons/

Users have offered pictures taken by them free for everybody's use - you just have to give them credit, I guess.

Not sure how useful this is going to be, but you could look into it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 06:55 am
Thanks all...I'll try those out.
hingehead

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 07:57 am
@MontereyJack,
if you go to the advanced search module of http://images.google.com/ you can search by Usage Rights.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page is also a good place
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 08:39 pm
@dlowan,
Bunny, spidergal has the best answer in that Creative Commons is absolutely free to use unless you're planning to sell the works using the images.
Quote:
Attribution means:
You let others copy, distribute, display, and perform your copyrighted work - and derivative works based upon it - but only if they give you credit.

Noncommercial means:
You let others copy, distribute, display, and perform your work - and derivative works based upon it - but for noncommercial purposes only.

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 02:14 am
Thank you all..I have actually joined the place Robert suggested but am finding their legalese hard to negotiate and what I want seems to be more expensive.

I have emailed them.

Off to explore your other suggestions!
msolga

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 07:56 pm
@dlowan,
I've continued looking, Deb, but (so far) haven't come across better sites than the ones that have already been suggested.

How's it going?
dlowan

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 12:18 am
@msolga,
What I decided to do for now is just do a quick and dirty draft (well, likely a hundred different drafts by now) where I just said what I felt needed to be said, and shoved in any old graphics just to give a bit of an idea.

That draft is now being looked at by other eyes as we speak, and this will result in massive changes. We'll then send it out to the person managing the whole process and cross our fingers that we can find a suitable Aboriginal consultant to tell us how it's all wrong.

There's therefore going to be a heap more writing and a heap more and a heap more.

I'm telling folk about illustration probs and hoping some good ideas come in...I'll follow up the leads here over the weekend.

I have to say the conversations are fascinating...it's just getting it so it says what it needs to, begins to come up with some ideas, all while being culturally appropriate enough not to offend everyone, but confronting enough to spur some action.

I don't have the skills for that...I imagine we'll be at it until we all want to run away and hide.

Meanwhile, I had completed another project, had it looked at and changed some stuff, printed it and spent forever laminating it.

Of course I had checked and re-checked it but once I laminated it somehow all the errors were clearer and I'll have to re-edit and laminate the goddam things all over again!!!

Grrrrrrrr.....
dadpad

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 12:40 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
Of course I had checked and re-checked it but once I laminated it somehow all the errors were clearer and I'll have to re-edit and laminate the goddam things all over again!!!

Grrrrrrrr.....

get someone else or several someone elses to proof read it next time.
This works and is reccomended by most lecturers and professors. I used to do it for tafe assignments for my diploma.
Its based on the fact that you dont read correctly cause you know what you wrote.
dlowan

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 01:54 am
@dadpad,
They already had!
msolga

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 02:08 am
@dlowan,
Tell me something, Deb. Rolling Eyes
When I used to work on school publications (like year books) no matter how many people helped in proof-reading the text, a few errors always snuck through.
Used to drive me crazy.
At the most intense periods of production I used to actually dream about proof-reading! Like dreams of words in front of your face! Agh.

Anyway, it sounds from what you've written, there are many heads involved in this project. Good. It can be very lonely (& at times, frustrating & worrying) work otherwise.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 03:40 am
If I can help ya, bunny, please let me know.

I don't usually do professional favors, but I'd do one for you if the thing isn't too long.
dadpad

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 05:53 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
They already had!

well they didnt do a very good job.
Make them do the laminating as pennance
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 06:40 am
@Roberta,
You're very kind...but it's just a matter of a few typos and a transposed paragraph where I didn't remove the original.

This is the short piece...it'sonly the laminating that makes it a pain!

Msolga...the court reports that go out of where I work are proof-read and edited to death.

I have never read one that doesn't contain a number of errors!
0 Replies