What to look for...and avoid...in a hearing aid.

dlowan

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 09:23 pm
@ehBeth,
They look unbearably cute in the box!!!

dlowan

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 08:51 pm
@dlowan,
Woot!

I have two hearing aids and I am coping with the deafening din in a huge Asian food hall with brick floors and packed out.

Wow, it sure makes a difference to my hearing!

One is happy with one's aids so far.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 09:06 pm
@dlowan,
One is pleased for one.
dlowan

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 09:13 pm
@ehBeth,
One is thankful for your good wishes.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 09:15 pm
@dlowan,
Two can be as bad as one
It's the loneliest number since the number one...

edit:

happy hearing, bun.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 09:59 pm
@dlowan,
Another happy one to read this..
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 12:10 am
Cool
dlowan

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 12:46 am
@Eva,
Lol. First drawback......man next door trying to do something with his door lock....sounded as though it was in MY place. So much so that I had to go and investigate, even though I knew there was nobody in my place!
sozobe

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 05:44 am
@dlowan,
Wow! Glad they're working so well!

My hearing still fluctuated for most of the time when I was wearing hearing aids -- so sometimes my hearing was much better than where the hearing aids were set. I was supposed to adjust them accordingly, but occasionally I'd take advantage of the super-hearing. For example, I remember sitting at one end of a long hallway in high school and being able to make out the (quiet!) conversation at the other end. Felt like a super-spy. Smile
dlowan

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 06:56 am
@sozobe,
I still need to do a lot of conscious processing.....not sure if that remains once you don't have normal hearing, whatever aids you may get?

Man those woollies are noisy!
dlowan

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2012 01:27 am
@dlowan,
Original.....right......hearing aid has gone kaput.

Neither the hearing centre nor the manufacturer help line for Australia is open until mid January.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.........

Be cool if public sector places could just up and close.

Hoping it's still under warranty.

It was fine when I put it away.
roger

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2012 02:15 am
@dlowan,
It certainly should be. Mine had a one year warranty. I don't know why yours would have less.

Mine cratered back in July and cost $450 for a repair. The repair lasted till mid December, but was on it's last month of repair warranty. They fixed it again. I expect it to last till about January 19. I was just getting used to not hearing again.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2012 09:37 am
Those socks are adorable! But, dlowan, you said they were noisy? Or were you calling something else the woolies (your cats?). I'm thinking it may be another 1.5 years before I endeavor to try this again. I need to buy a car and I don't think I can swing both expenses at once.

I'm glad you sound so excited about have both aids, Deb.

It's interesting to go back through my comments here.
dlowan

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2012 02:27 pm
@littlek,
The woollies are the cats.

My excitement has been tempered by my right hearing aid going kaput and it not being even possible to get it assessed until hearing aid people decide to come back from holidays in a week or so.
dlowan

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 06:54 am
@dlowan,
yay...hearing centre open again. Aid needs to go to hospital....but they've given me a loan vehicle....not great, but hey, it's a loaner.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 04:04 pm
Had my second audiogram today, the first being back in 2002, and I needed hearing aids then; more so now. Didn't get them for money reasons.
So I'm going to be rereading all the hearing problem threads. I trust it'll take a while for me to get them through the system and then to learn to deal with them; probably will start a thread on it myself, but not yet. Just got the news that they agree with me and it's a go.

Among other things, I need to translate my copy of the audiogram notes. I've a long history of being able to read medical hen scratching but in this case I don't have a round up of the usual terms used, yet. A new learning experience, what?
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2017 11:52 pm
Old thread! Read through some of it, but any new hearing aid advice? Types? Brands? What's new? How well do they work?

Mr. M's has suffered gradual hearing loss over several years, but it's now advanced to the point where hearing aids have become a necessity.

Thought I'd begin our research here with those who know.
roger

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2017 12:13 am
@mckenzie,
One thing I can tell you is that it's easy to make a hearing aid that works in a quiet audiologist's office. You should definitely give them a test in a noisy environment, like a crowded restaurant.

Mostly, I've used variations of the GN Resound. The recent models are better at noise control than the older ones, but not quite there yet. My most recent one is the Liberty brand from Sam's Club. I don't know what's available to you, but I took it for a leisurely stroll through the store. It was better than the Resound - at least for my hearing problem. You should also try their Speaker in Ear model. They are often better, and can be tested by you without the custom ear mold you should get with it.

The dispenser who makes the adjustments is important. Some are very good, but if you feel doubt, go somewhere else.
mckenzie

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2017 04:52 pm
@roger,
Thanks Roger. Good to see you!

His hearing's been deteriorating for several years, but when he's been tested, he's always been advised to wait. Now he's mishearing or missing entirely too much conversation, even without background noise.

We don't have Sam's Club up here, but we do have Costco, which carries the ReSound, Phonak, their own brand, which I understand is Siemens, Rexton and Bernaphon.

Speaker in ear hearing aids, thanks. I looked at an article about those, and they are best for someone with his type of hearing loss, high frequency and normal low frequency.

There's a lot to learn!
roger

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2017 07:35 pm
@mckenzie,
You might check this site. Generally, they don't have enough traffic to be useful, but might help a little.

When he starts telling people to quit mumbling it's about time to do some research.