Do you like or dislike social networking sites (like Facebook, Myspace and Twitter)?

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 10:29 am
I don't like them. I don't join any because I feel like Big Brother is watching me. What about you?

djjd62

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 10:38 am
never used myspace, can take or leave facebook, don't go to twitter as much as i once did but i have some of the folks i follow sent to my email as an RSS feed to keep up with somethings i'm interested in
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 10:42 am
@djjd62,
How much privacy do you have on these sites?
aidan

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 10:46 am
I like looking at the pictures of friends I haven't seen in a while.

But for kids, I hate them. I was just thinking the other day that I wonder how much the incidence of activities like volunteering among young people has fallen because they spend so much of their free time on facebook.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 10:48 am
@JGoldman10,
don't know, i've never worried too much about it, don't think i have too much to hide
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 10:57 am
@djjd62,
The thing I'm concerned with is you don't want the WRONG people getting involved in your business.
djjd62

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 11:05 am
@JGoldman10,
not sure who the wrong people are
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 11:11 am
@djjd62,
Really? You don't have enemies on any of these sites?
djjd62

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 11:14 am
@JGoldman10,
i've had a few incidents with some folks (all here, all in the politics threads), mostly they blow over, i can't think of any enemies i have anywhere on the web

and if i do, i don't really care, life's to short to worry about that kind of stuff
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 11:17 am
@djjd62,
I can't concern myself too much with people I am not going to ever meet in real life but I KNOW how to deal with them.
djjd62

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 11:19 am
@JGoldman10,
but you never know who you're going to meet, i've met a few of the folks here in real life, hell one of them is related to me
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 01:12 pm
@JGoldman10,
Big Brother is watching you here, too. It's all public.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 01:52 pm
@JGoldman10,
I've been puttering around the internet since November 1995. It's a tad too late for me to start worrying about whether big brother (corporate or governmental) is watching what I do.

I use Facebook and Twitter rather faithfully though I have been on a minor slowdown for both sites these past couple of weeks.

Never liked the garbage scow that's Myspace. Too amateurish for my tastes.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 01:55 pm
@wmwcjr,
That's not what I meant. People can try to use what you post on web forums/message boards and use it against you. I have experienced that. { DO NOT NEED THAT.
wmwcjr

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 02:29 pm
@JGoldman10,
That can happen to anybody who posts in any forum. That's why you don't give personal information. A friend of mine who showed a lack of discretion online ended up receiving crank calls in the middle of the night.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 03:26 pm
@wmwcjr,
I was on a few sites and some kind of way other people were able to expose my personal info online without me giving it out.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 11:59 am
@tsarstepan,
I've been using the net around the same time as you. You have a good memory if you can recall what month you started using it.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 12:33 pm
Why do people complain about privacy on the internet? There is no such thing! Never has been, never will be. Even the most secure sites can (and are) hacked. How do you think people steal credit card information?
Bottom line; if you don't want it out there for anyone and everyone to know, don't type it. Ever. Period.
parados

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 12:41 pm
@JGoldman10,
Facebook has privacy settings. If you don't want people to know about you on Facebook then restrict your settings. You have no one to blame but yourself if you don't.

I only allow certain friends in real life access to my phone numbers and other info. Acquaintances that I "friend" only get limited access.

People that accept everyone as friends and let anyone read all about them shouldn't expect privacy.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 12:42 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Really? You don't have enemies on any of these sites?

Why would you friend an enemy?

Are you nuts?
Wait..

No need for you to answer that.
0 Replies