11 year Old Rainsoft system problem questions. Also I want to understand my system.

Shutech

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2011 09:50 pm
I have a Rainsoft system that came with the house. It has not been that bad of a system. I am on well water. We also have a Rainsoft RO system too.

It is a 14 Day timer model with Brine Tank, Resin Tank with a Model number of AMB 744 T Mfg Date of 12/29/99 and what I believe to be an iron removal regenerating filter(can some one confirm) Model RNB 1054 Y Mfg Date of 12/16/99.

The last year I have noticed that the system would behave funny. That the water would not be as soft as it should and the brine tank had plenty of salt and it regenerates quite frequently.

This last few weeks I have been in that situation, but I also know that my brine tank is running on empty. I have one layer of nuggets left as of today. My shower today was horrible.

I went top the system and tasted the brine and it was salty but not like real salty, So I did a manual regeneration. 2 things that I noticed when I did this.

1 Was that there were very fine metal shavings piling up on some of the parts that can be seen through the knob/dial cutout.

2 When the system went to brine it just went silent. ( I thought that there would be some water running sound and that the clear ball valve on the back that the ball would be dancing around.

I am guessing that my timer is wearing out and not triggering the brine sequence or there is a brine injection problem?

What am I looking at on this? Can this be a repaired with a new timer or better to replace?

Given that the whole rest of the system is good can I upgrade just the timers to newer digital? just replace the head on the units or Unit (just the resin tank? ) (or do I want to? One post I glanced at mentioned that the digitals are not so hot.)

Any thoughts here folks?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 3,597 • Replies: 3
No top replies

rmh2o

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 12:58 pm
@Shutech,
If the timer is on the correct time of day it is probably OK. The eductor assembly may be plugged with iron. This will cause a weak or no brine draw and hard water. This sound like it may be an Autotrol 155 valve so it is possible the valve is at fault also. Clean the eductor assembly and do 2 regenerations in same day. During the draw cycle it is only regenerating at 1/2 gallon per minute so it will not be making as much noise as it would in backwash or refill/rinse cycle. The salt tank needs to be at least 1/2 full to develop the proper amount of brine to regenerate. If needed you can upgrade the timer mechanism on an Autotrol.
RM
gullyroy

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 03:53 pm
@rmh2o,
Are you saying that i should full the tank half way up?
where can i get the manual for that unit
Thank you
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 06:17 pm
@Shutech,
The piston & brine injector O rings need to be replaced as well as the shut-off tabs.
0 Replies