A rose is a rose is a taylor ham sandwich

chai2

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 07:36 pm
I made hamburgers for supper tonight. As I was getting out the condiments, slicing onions and tomatoes, I had a memory from childhood.

I remember going down to Kate's Korner for burgers with the folks, and seeing an exotic new item on the menu. A California Burger.

On it was lettuce, tomatoes and (I hope you're sitting down) mayo.

This rocked my world. Weird thing was, in the the times we had hamburgers at home after that, never once did anyone put mayo on their burger, even though it had been undeniably good, and the jar of Helmans was right there in the fridge.

As a teenager, nothing was better then cruising around with friends, and ending up at a diner for pie, or if you were actually hungry, a taylor ham sandwich.

Never once did I realize it was what the rest of the country calls pork roll.
A year back, I was in NJ, and stopped at a diner to specifically stroll down memory lane with a taylor ham sandwich. I took 2 bites and left the rest on my plate. Bleech.

Also, the black and white cookie.
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.slashfood.com/media/2008/01/black-and-white-cookie.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,731 • Replies: 15
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 07:43 pm
@chai2,
I'm unfamiliar with both taylor ham sandwich or pork roll.

AS for it's blechiness? People's tastes change and/or mature with age.

Oh... and black and white cookies aren't as exciting as people make them out to be.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 07:48 pm
@tsarstepan,
ok. I'm calling shenanigans...

I've had pork sammiches in most of the lower 48, and have not encountered either one. mebbe you can show us one...?

agree with tsarty, black and white cookies are a gimmick.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 08:02 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

I'm unfamiliar with both taylor ham sandwich or pork roll.

AS for it's blechiness? People's tastes change and/or mature with age.

Oh... and black and white cookies aren't as exciting as people make them out to be.

Oh yeah, that's what I was meaning.

Mayo on a burger, so what?

Those taylor ham sandwiches were only something a teeanager's stomach could tolerate.

As with black and whites. They kinda suck, but they look cool. You're mother would buy you one when she was getting the rye bread, and it was more about eating it correctly, so the colors stayed apart.

That's why I didn't include bulkie rolls in this. They actually ARE good.
But, that had it's ritual too.
You got out of church, went down to pick up the Sunday paper, then walked two doors down to the bakery to get the bulkie rolls for breakfast. First though, you had to stand around outside with your friends for 15 minutes, talking and smoking cigarettes. For some reason you only stood around outside when it was Winter, late Fall. The rest of the year, you went in, got your bread, and left.

Remember in Mystic River? Sean Penn had that store, and they were getting ready for the after church crowd rush?

It was like that.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 08:06 pm
@chai2,
I read the book.

I personally like mayo once in a while.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 08:09 pm
@ossobuco,
Mayo is essentially olive oil and egg.

What the **** is the giant cultural downer?

Known elsewhere as aioli. I don't take the downers as anti italian, but I'm ignorant on that. Maybe it is an italian regional thing.

Maybe it was a within new york city thing.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 08:09 pm
@chai2,
My memory sucks. Always has. Sad I can't remember any similar childhood routines.
chai2

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 08:16 pm
@tsarstepan,
Where did you grow up?
chai2

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 08:31 pm
@chai2,
Those giant sugar cookies?

http://shopthenorthwest.com/images/P/sugarcookie.jpg

I remember being about 5, and engaging in one of my favorite activies of the time; chucking rocks at cars driving by my house.

I was none too smart I guess, because I stood right in front of my house to do it.

I mean, I was 5, and a girl, I never actually hit any of the cars I aimed at.....

except this one time.

I flang the rock, heard a bag, then car brakes screech. Boy, was that lady mad. If I had any presence of mind I would have said "Hey lady, I'm just as surprised by all this as you are."
Anyway, she asked me if I threw a rock.

"yes"

Do you live in that house?

I remember turning around to look, as if I was suddenly in fron of Doreen Iekners house (my friend).

"yes"

Then you go right in that house and tell your mother what you're doing.

"ok"

And in I go to do just that.
My mother had just come back from the store and said "Here, I bought you one of those big sugar cookies" It just didn't seem like the time to bring up the car incident.

I never liked those cookies in the first place. I remember standing in the living room, looking with one eye through the slit where the draperies met, waiting for that woman to show up to find out it I followed through. I stood there holding that damn cookie I didn't even want. I think I ate it as penance.

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 08:49 pm
@chai2,
Ashland, MA: the suburbs
chai2

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 08:55 pm
@tsarstepan,
I never would have thought that about you. Having a poor memory of past events.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 08:57 pm
@chai2,
I might be acting a tad melodramatic.... Razz
chai2

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 09:07 pm
@tsarstepan,
So, you're not like that guy in Memento?

I was all ready to be your Joey Pants.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 09:15 pm
@chai2,
Don't mention that overrated gimmick of a comatose-inducing film! Mad
chai2

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 09:18 pm
@tsarstepan,
Wow, I liked that movie just as much as I liked Avatar!
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 09:26 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Wow, I liked that movie just as much as I liked Avatar!

With this revelation...
0 Replies