Aliens!!! ( hypothetical scenario )

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2011 03:40 am
Hello,
This seems like a cool forum. Very Happy And I was interested in your opinion!!
Last day I made up a scenario and felt like sharing it. I'm too sure though that it fits in a philosophical forum...

Imagine a completely hypothetical situation:

Aliens come on earth and tell us that their mission is to save 'Earth' ( inspired from 'The day after tomorrow' ). That there are too many humans, and they're going to cleanse the human race. In order to do that, they have the ability to read the human mind: feel what we're feeling, read our memories, know what we know...

As they come from another planet, they cannot really judge our ways nor understand them, thus they are not able to judge who is allowed to live on earth.

Their solution is to let us take care of it in a democratic way: each of us ( yes 6,9 billion people ) are connected together and a group of 'choosers' is randomly formed ( 1/7 of the people ). The aim of this group is to define on which criteria they are going to reduce earth's population.

This is where you come in: if you were to be a 'chooser', which criterias would you choose ( this criteria has to aproved by at least 80% of the 'choosers')? ( Question 1 )

Which criterias, in your opinion, would be chosen?

I'll introduce some on my own suggestions:

Humanitly:

# One has to be able to feel empathy and to use that ability

# One has to be able to accept another the way he is as long as he doesn't bother anyone ( so bye bye racists and perhaps politicians too Very Happy )

# One ought to not kill or hurt ( mentally and physically ) volontary for his own pleasure but only because of duty ( by which I include moral duty as well as military duty for example )

I was hoping this simple rules would eliminate: rapers, killers, psycopaths, extorters, kidnappers, abusers...

Will:

# Will of living

# General ability of will

# Will to eventually change and adapt

By eventually giving one year for someone to change, everybody should proove his ability of will by some simple tests:
- not doing any drugs ( to make it clear, I am not against drugs, but one that cannot stop after a full year is lost to my eyes, ' you should take and control drugs to your will as long as you don't hurt anyone else, but drugs shouldn't control you by any mean' )
- not perpetrating any serious crimes ( I know our governments can be too harsh, but if you cannot stop yourself for at least one year... To make it clear, I believe we should we merciful to the ones that use those means to survive because they cannot another way like some poor kid in ethiopia, I am actually aiming for those who're gonna kill or commit burglary to buy the latest PSP )

What is your opinion on this criterias? Remarks? Suggestions? ( Question 2 )

By how much could we reduce earth's population by applying these criterias, or your own?
Would earth be a better place afterwards? Opinions? ( Question 3 )

Any comment or remark is more than welcome.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 994 • Replies: 0
No top replies