About the grammar

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2011 01:05 am
I'm a student majoring in Englisn.However ,I am confusing about the grammar.Actually,I even don't kown how to learn the grammar efficently.I was wondering that whether the grammar is equal with phrase <In other words,as long as I learn the phrase well then my grammar will be improved the same time>.In my high school ,my English teachers always asked us to remember lots of sentences and many phrases.But I find my English is still the same.So,I'm here to wait for your help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 809 • Replies: 2
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by adistowin
JTT
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2011 08:10 pm
@adistowin,
Quote:
I'm a student majoring in English.However, I am [confusing] confused about [the] grammar.

With these 'ed/ing' adjectives, eg. confused/confusing, the 'ed' means the effect is on the subject, while the 'ing' means the effect is on someone else.

I am confused [by something]. The affect is on 'I'.

I am confusing [to someone/some people]. The affect is on another or others.

I am bored [ by something]. The affect is on 'I'.

I am boring [to someone/some people]. The affect is on another or others.

Quote:
Actually,I even don't know how to learn the grammar efficently.I was wondering [that] whether the grammar is equal with phrase <In other words,as long as I learn the phrase well then my grammar will be improved the same time.

In my high school, my English teachers always asked us to remember lots of sentences and many phrases.But I find my English is still the same.So,I'm here to wait for your help.

Do you mind if I ask where you are from, Adistowin?

It makes some sense to learn phrases that are frozen formulas and have the meaning of an idiom, eg. Howzit goin'? = How are you/How is life treating you?; How are you fixed for cash? = Do you have enough money for .../ to ... ?

The best thing that you can do is learn a lot of sentences that describe you and those around you and yours and their lives. This gives context to the sentences you learn. Context is vital to learning a language. When there is an actual context, the mind can build grammar. When the sentences are meaningless, empty of context, there is not much chance for the mind to build a realistic grammar.

You can practice any grammatical structure by using your real life as the basis for those structures.
adistowin

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 09:25 pm
@JTT,
Thanks for your reply and I 'm a student in China .I'm very sorry for my mistake to give you a reply so late.Your suggestions are pefect .I will add them to my plan and I 'm sure that I can get much benefits from it.Thank you!
0 Replies