How many oddities can you identify?

saab

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 12:36 pm
@cicerone imposter,
My point turned out to be a misunderstanding in languages.
Now is for me now within the last weeks or days.
Now for you is indifenate and means now compared with some time ago it was not.
Reyn

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 01:09 pm
@saab,
saab wrote:

I found out about the unicorn.
It is either distorted from the name Einargaarden Einar´s farm which got to be unicorn Ejnhörning or because the family had a unicorn in the coat of arms in the famaly.

Okay, but how is this helpful as in the use of a shop?

Or, should I not assume it's a shop?
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 01:18 pm
@Reyn,
Pssst.... It's not a shop. It's a brothel for horses and wayward narwhals. Confused
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 02:52 pm
@Reyn,
This goes back to the middle ages when people could not read and write, so a symbol was put on the house. Now of course it is just a remenant from those days. Something which has survived fires and other things.
There happens to be a very good restaurant in the house now.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 10:10 pm
@saab,
You're still missing the point; this is a simple quiz to find oddities from "all" the buildings that is seen in the picture I presented. There are many odd looking structures around the world - especially those that are stand-alones; it's not necessary for you to post other buildings that are out of kilter. I'm talking about the row of buildings in the picture; simple, but you want to argue irrelevance. THAT'S NOT THE POINT of this game. It's only a game.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 10:29 pm
I've tried, CI, but I don't get it.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 10:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
Even with the first hint I provided? I didn't think it was that hard, but it may be that I can see some "oddities" in different ways of those buildings that may not be too obvious. Since there isn't that many that I can see, giving more hints would give away too much. I was hoping somebody would be able to identify more oddities than I can see.
saab

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 06:10 am
@cicerone imposter,
I am curious, please point out the oddities.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 07:30 am
Many of those houses have an odd spacing with the top floor windows. They are not evenly spaced. I wonder why. It looks like there are two (sometimes 3 windows evenly spaced then a larger gap and another window.
dadpad

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 07:41 am
This video (towards the end) shows some of the odd angles the builings are on.
dadpad

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 07:44 am
@dadpad,
The arched doorways are (so i read) shared entries to a communal courtyard.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 10:34 am
@dadpad,
http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryggen_i_Bergen
It is easier to see the houses this way than sideways.

I see there are two windows a large space and one window. As I never have seen the houses from inside I would guess there is a staircase and a corridor, which runs into the wall we can see and a room with two windows and a room with one window. at each side of the corridor.
With four windows I would guess the corridor runs in the same direction as the wall we can see.
I don´t know what Bryggen looked like in the middleages, but in Sweden - and not only there - the houses were 7-8 meters broad and up to 30-40 meters deep.
Where I come from many of the houses had grass roofs. During a state of siege the domestic animals grassed on the roofs.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 10:59 am
@saab,
HINT #2: Look at the two white buildings. They're the same, but not the same; how?
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 11:16 am
The bottom floor windows of the 2 white houses look odd to me. They don't look like the shape of something made long ago. Too large.

On the red house that says Knut something or other on it....it has an extra round window/opening at the top.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 11:18 am
No TV antenaes or satalite dishes!!!
No power lines.
chai2

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 11:19 am
No blue houses.
chai2

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 11:20 am
No front stoops.
saab

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 12:32 pm
@chai2,
Blue was a very expensive colour for cloth and if even existed for houses it would have been very very expensive to use. So blue houses is a very modern idea. Normally houses were either not painted at all or red, yellow and white were normal.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 12:35 pm
@chai2,
As a rule we have no powerlines going into the houses except from under the street, so that is not a oddity.
TV antennas or satalite dishes can never be allowed to be put on these houses.
I am sure there are TV´s in the houses but then the antennas are probably on the attic or under the roof.
saab

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 12:56 pm
@chai2,
The large double size doors where broad enough for a horse and carriage to get in so there could not be a stoop. The next door probably was in the same level.
0 Replies