Why are there still Australians on this site?

cjhsa

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 02:57 pm
Biathlon
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 02:58 pm
LOL!!!!!!!

hey - we won a couple of things at the last winter olympics by not falling over! Wassamatta with that?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 03:12 pm
I was born in New York (north), but then lived much of my childhood in Virginia (south). I've lived north and south all my life. I never learned to ice skate or ski, because of my youth in the south, so winter sports have always amused me. For whatever reason, i don't suffer much from the cold . . . i've even seen Canajuns give me strange looks for walking around in winter in a jacket.

Not falling over is a crucial skill for the sportsman or sportswoman. I would congratulate you in honor of your fellow citizens, were i not obliged by the nature of the thread to show as much disrespect as is consistent with good manners to the Oztralians found herein.
0 Replies

Eve

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 03:14 pm
And anyway - you should just see them at fly swatting!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 03:16 pm
Well, the US are only playing in 'Third Division' as well as the Canadians. (Europe Cup, that is called. ['World Junior Cup' would be 2nd, 'World Cup' first].)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 03:20 pm
Hee hee - Eve, I have a beeeeoooootiful Alessi fly-swat!!!!

It is a dark charcoal colour, and stands on 3 little legs. The holes form the face of a woman from a classic painting.

I was enchanted with the idea of making a fly swat a thing of elegance, and had to have it!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 03:24 pm
I'll remember never to challenge any Aussies to a fly swatting competition.
0 Replies

Eve

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 04:45 pm
Fly swats as works of art Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Nobody but an Aussie would think of that! That's culcha for ya!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 04:48 pm
In 'Merica, we say flyswatter . . . as a liddlie, i could make neither head nor tails of a the word. I knew, of course, what water is, but what the heck was "flice?" The word flice-water made absolutely no sense to me.
0 Replies

Eve

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 06:01 pm
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 06:35 pm
Alessi is NOT Australian....more's the pity...
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 05:03 pm
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 07:15 pm
oak

It seems to be quite difficult to migrate to Oz these days, not like the old "10 pound Pom" days .... I know of immigrant friends (from the UK) who have tried to assist their relatives to join them here, without success. Quite strict quotas these days, apparently.
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 09:07 pm
Never heard of Aussies being called Umas. Thought the Poms called us Jafas. (Just Another F'n Aussie.)
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 02:54 am
As far as I'm concerned, England can keep both Elle and Kylie. Don't really have an opinion regards Natalie.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 07:22 am
msolga wrote:
oak

It seems to be quite difficult to migrate to Oz these days, not like the old "10 pound Pom" days .... I know of immigrant friends (from the UK) who have tried to assist their relatives to join them here, without success. Quite strict quotas these days, apparently.

Although opening up, it seems, according to an announcement today, for people prepared to settle in the regions - not sure if this means anything other than Sydney or Melbourne, or actual country centres.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 07:25 am
The announcement I heard today was making more visas available provided they choose regional areas. I can tell you from my last couple of trips that Sydney is FULL.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 07:49 am
Hey, as long as there seems to be an awful lot of Australians hanging around this thread, perhaps I can ask you a question.

I came across an Australian book at a second-hand book store. The book was entitled The Gangelhoff. A childrens book about a monster or a robber called Gangelhoff.

The reason the book caught my eye was because of the scandal that broke up in Minneapolis a few years back. Some of the basketball players on the University of Minnesota mens team were having the homework done by the woman who was supposedly tutoring them. Her name was Jan Gangelhoff and eventually she spilled the beans and the story made national headlines. People were fired, heads rolled, that sort of thing.

So, is there actually a creature in Australia called the Gangelhoff? It just seemed like a rather bizarre title for a book.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 07:52 am
Yes.

It is a particularly ferocious subspecies of the drop bear.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 07:54 am
I well remember the 10 Pound Poms adverts in the papers back in the Days of Yore. Also I knew someone who took it up & bought tickets.
I've never been to Aus., though during the 70s I did quite a lot of work for ABC TV whilst in London.
I was offered the chance of work if I wanted to make the trip. The time was wrong for family reasons, so I never made it.

I've known a lot of Aussies in living & working in London & never heard of them being called UMAS or JAFAS.
As for Kylie & Elle, well I have no concerns either for or against. Neighbors is still on BBC TV every day, not that I watch it, honest. David Campese & Steve Waugh are quite well accepted for various reasons
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 10/01/2024 at 01:16:30