Why jogging is my second favorite workout!

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2011 10:11 am
Jogging is not my favorite workout, but it is a very close second. There are so many benefits to adding running to your workout schedule.

From visiting my site, you probably know that my favorite workouts are high intense loud blaring music routines! However, I also stress the importance of having variety in your exercise routines. Adding a run to your workout schedule once or twice a week is a very good idea.

This habit has so many benefits from health to endurance to stress relief. It is user friendly and accessible to everyone! You can complete a jog any place and even bring it indoors (if you have a treadmill). Your biggest expense will be to invest in a good pair of running shoes.

It is so easy to start. If you are a beginner, start with an attainable goal. Just plan to take a slow jog or brisk walk around the block. Week two, add onto your path or increase your speed. If you cannot run the whole distance, just walk some and jog some. You goal is to slowly increase the jog time and decrease the time you walk. Before you know it, you will be running the whole distance. At the point it becomes easy, just add onto your distance.

I personally set time goals. For example, once day I may choose to run for 25 minutes. When I hit 25 minutes, I turn around and head back. Instead of setting a path to jog, I just set a time and go as far as that time allows. Some days I go further than others. The goal is to add more on days when you feel up to it.

Once your are comfortable with your new routine. Sign up to enter in a local race. Set this a few months out. Circle that date, and then mark out your plans to prepare. If you are going to run a 5K, set the goal at running a mile a day and adding distance until you are running 3 miles effortlessly. Then shoot for a 10K or a marathon! Don't be surprised if you start to love this exercise program!

Like I mentioned, the benefits of this aren't just getting exercise. Jogging works so many parts of your body. Your legs, arms, heart and your abs! Yes your abs! If you want to burn excess tummy fat, this is the way to work them hard and fast. You naturally engage your muscles when you run. Yes the crunches are still great and work, but nothing works better and faster that jogging. When you work this into your fitness routine, you will see a huge difference in your midsection. (You need to as always, maintain a healthy diet.)

It will also help manage stress in your life! You can take whatever you are angry about with you on your run, and by the time you get back you will have either forgotten your worries or at least feel refreshed to better deal with them. I love to run with my music and my very best 4-legged buddy, Bailey. He goes as long or as short of a distance as I want, and never says a word. My kind of running mate! LOL Many times I will even leave the music and just listen to myself breathe. It offers a great time to get away from all the hectic needs of life and just focus on yourself and your surroundings.

Jogging is considered a high impact exercise, so make sure that you ALWAYS stretch prior and for a good amount of time. I always start with a brisk walk for 3 to 5 minutes to warm up even more. Focus on not running flat footed, which will help save your shins. Land soft on each step and bend your knees. When your body gives you signs to stop...listen.

The health benefits of jogging are numerous, and there are plenty of reasons why you should go jogging. The main reasons people begin to take up jogging are to lose weight, improve their fitness and overall health.
There are even more great reasons to go jogging:
* Reduces risk of stroke * Reduces risk of heart attack * Lowers blood pressure * Helps prevent aging * Helps to build strong bones * Strengthen muscles * Improves cardiovascular fitness * Burns tons of calories * Helps to maintain a healthy weight * Improving your state of mind * Stress relief * Creates endorphins * Improves your stamina and energy levels * Clears your mind * Meet people and make friends

So are you ready to start jogging? Remember, start with a goal you can reach...then set a goal to work towards. See ya at the next 10K!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,020 • Replies: 0
No top replies