What's the technical term for posting insults in a web forum?

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 02:50 pm
Is that called flaming or trolling? I had to report a few disruptive members here who posted inappropriate responses to some of my threads.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 8,554 • Replies: 83

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 04:37 pm
trolling or flaming... reporting responses that hurt your widdle feelings is called being a candy ass. I think that's the correct technical term anyway.
djjd62

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 04:53 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
you sir, are correct
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 05:00 pm
@JGoldman10,
"Trolling" implies that the person is specifically baiting the other person.

"Flaming" or "getting flamed" is usually in reference to a person being outright rejected not by one, but many other posters. I could see the term applying to one poster insulting another poster, but it would probably have to be a really thorough insult.

"Candy-assery" more commonly known as "butt hurt" is a plea for sympathy to an electronic community. Typically after one or both of the above has happened.

A
R
T
JPB

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 05:12 pm
@failures art,
"Get over it" is when "Candy-assery", "Flaming", or "Trolling" has occurred on A2K.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 05:20 pm
@JPB,
should I call the wambulance?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 05:33 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Calling someone a racist when they aren't and making racist comments about someone behind their back is flaming/troling. Trying to blatantly insult someone is.

Someone we know here ASSUMED I was being racist when all I was doing was trying to ask what ONE GROUP of people calls THEIR skin color, and had the audacity to call me a clown.
djjd62

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 05:42 pm
@JGoldman10,
first off how many people here do you actually know, i personally know 5 because i've met them (well one i'm related to), other than that i don't really know anyone

for the most part i accept the way they represent themselves, and like and respect many, that being said, i wouldn't get to upset if anyone said anything about me on a message board, in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter much
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 05:44 pm
@djjd62,
There are some users here who were trying to incite trouble. I reported them.
Ceili

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 05:56 pm
What exactly do you call insults? When people don't tell you what you want to hear? When people don't take your requests or questions as face value because they see things differently than you? When you bother them incessantly by PMing them? Even after you've been repeatedly asked to stop. (trolling or flaming, you decide).
You think it's nasty when told to get your eyes checked when it seems obvious you have trouble seeing shades of brown or cream? Or that People think your need to view a group or an entire continent by a skin colour is wrong. Get over yourself. Seriously, I don't think you have the stones to be on an internet forum.
Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 05:56 pm
Somebody find a nice cheese to go with this joker's whine . . .
Rockhead

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 05:57 pm
@JGoldman10,
if only you were a mime, none of this would have happened...

0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 05:59 pm
@JGoldman10,
i'd be willing to bet that the moderators have better things to do than soothe your bruised ego
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 06:03 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Calling someone a racist when they aren't and making racist comments about someone behind their back is flaming/troling. Trying to blatantly insult someone is.

Someone we know here ASSUMED I was being racist when all I was doing was trying to ask what ONE GROUP of people calls THEIR skin color, and had the audacity to call me a clown.

ok.... let's calm down and look at what you're saying.

Calling someone a racist when they aren't is.... name calling.

Making racist comments about someone behind their back is... huh? If it was behind your back on a public forum then how was it behind your back?

CLOWN? That's it? You were called a clown by someone we all know (let me guess)? That's the slur? And you want the mods to intervene and tell him to.....

what exactly?
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 06:04 pm
@Ceili,
No-DID I say ALL ASIANS HAVE YELLOW SKIN? No.
I was talking about the ONES WHO DON'T HAVE YELLOW SKIN.

You MISUNDERSTOOD me.

Blacks talk about skin tone, Hispanics do, and SOME ASIANS do.

You called yourself trying to insult me when I described some dark-skinned Asians as having orange skin.

All I wanted to know simply ws what is the politically-correct term ASIANS use to describe those skin tones I was talking about.

This WAS NOT SOMETHING TO GET OFFENDED ABOUT. I apologize-I didn't know you were so so senstive about about this.
I'm a man of God-I advocate peace. The Bible says to follow peace with all men.

I was on an Asian forum talking about this with Asians-THOSE people didn't have a problem discussing it.

I am a fair-skinned African-American male- I have yellowish skin-
I was not the one trying to incite trouble.

I WAS TRYING TO HAVE A SERIOUS DISCUSSION ABOUT RACE AND SKIN COLOR.

Oprah Winfrey had a show about race and color years ago.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 06:06 pm
@Setanta,
THIS IS EXACLTY WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT. Excuse me for trying to tell you where to go-this IS a public forum. I don't know what you were getting so mad about.
djjd62

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 06:07 pm
@JPB,
but, but, lady ga ga and glee told me that words hurt Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 06:07 pm
@JPB,
Making a racist comment about someone in the third person is flaming/trolling.
JPB

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 06:09 pm
@JGoldman10,
Good luck with that.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 06:12 pm
@JPB,
What are you talking about? You don't think the person being talked about is going to read what others say about him/her?