Scott Brown, Victim

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 08:24 pm
Quote:
Sen. Scott Brown (R-Mass.) reveals that he was sexually abused as a child multiple times in an interview scheduled to air on CBS' "60 Minutes" on Sunday evening.

In discussing the matter with Lesley Stahl, Brown explains that he hadn't even told his mother about what happened. The Republican senator recalls suffering sexual abuse on several occasions when he was young by a camp counselor and also living with an abusive stepfather.

"That's what happens when you're a victim," explains Brown of his reluctance to tell his mother what occurred. "You're embarrassed. You're hurt."

Speaking directly to what happened with the camp counselor, Brown says that "nothing was ever fully consummated," but that he had been forced to engage in unwanted sexual contact. Looking back, he explains, "It was certainly, back then, very traumatic."

"As predators do... He said 'If you tell anybody...I'll kill you. I will make sure that nobody believes you," recalls Brown of being threatened by the counselor.

The interview with Brown comes just before the release of memoir Against All Odds. The Senator details the traumatic experiences he endured in the book.

This is a good job of branding, it will make him softer ( he is in a heavily Dem state, and they tend to eat this victim identity up) and frame attacks on his politics as personally mean spirited (which will matter more to Dems opponents than to Repubs). Some guys just have the knack for politics...

maxdancona

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 08:30 pm
@hawkeye10,
Get a life Hawkeye. Where does it say that politicians can't also be human beings.

It takes a lot of guts to come forward on this issue. Male victims of sexual abuse have a pretty difficult time of it because of the strong social stigma.

I am a partisan Democrat, I voted against Scott Brown, and I may even campaign against him next year.

But on this issue, I wish him the best. I think your attack on him is petty and mean-spirited.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 08:33 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
But on this issue, I wish him the best. I think your attack on him is petty and mean-spirited.
I did not attack, I complimented him on his political skill. I am pretty sure that I commented upon his skill here at A2K even before he won...
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 08:48 pm
@hawkeye10,
The 60 minutes page ONLY talks about his allegedly abusive childhood, it is the angle that they are selling. These interviews are negotiated in advance, to include the interviewer, and given that Brown went with the only major female interviewer I think we know that the abuse at the hands of men is what brown was intending to concentrate on. I'll have to watch and count what portion of the minutes are spent on this. I also think it is highly unlikely the Stahl asked him anything other than routine and softball questions.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/02/16/60minutes/main20032276.shtml?tag=strip
0 Replies