Any suggestions /advice for a prospective substitute teacher?

jjorge

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 07:27 pm
@ossobuco,
You know osso, I hadn't yet thought of that, but it is probably inevitable. :-)
thanks for the interest,
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 01:52 pm
Another great day of 'subbing'!
Monday I was at Blacksburg High School and today at Blacksburg Middle School.
frosting on the cake?
... I got to see my nephew B_ _ and my niece S_ _ _!
Frosting on top of the frosting?
...On my break I spoke with S's Spanish teacher and inquired about coming in a few times to 'sit in' on her classes (on my time and my dime).
She was very nice and very receptive.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 01:58 pm
@jjorge,
Terrific. Glad it's going so well.
jjorge

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 02:29 pm
@ossobuco,
Thanks osso. Hope things are well with you!
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 10:29 pm
Still enjoying subbing! I think I've found my niche.
Most of my assignments have been as either a special ed. aide or a special ed resource teacher. Here in Montgomery County VA all the special ed. kids are integrated into regular classrooms. In some cases that means there is sp. ed. support as needed during class to help keep them focused, or read the questions to them on a quiz. Sometimes a small group of kids will be pulled out of class during a test so they can have 'accommodations' during the test in a nearby room -eg. having the questions read to them (as above) having their answers reviewed, having a greater time allowance etc. I have done this at elementary, middle school and high school level and have invariably enjoyed it. The kids are great (yes, they sometimes need a little limit-setting), and the teachers are generally friendly, helpful and appreciative.

I had an experience last week that I just HAVE to share. I was back in a third grade classroom (as an aide) where i had been a few weeks ago. The kids all remembered me and were pleased to see me as I was pleased to see them.
A young boy who I had worked with the previous time noticed the bandage on my left middle finger and asked me what happened. (I had caught it in a folding door and actually snipped of a penny size piece from the tip).
I replied to him by saying, "Do you want the real story or the fake story?"
"The fake story!" he replied, and I said something about being attacked by a bear, that I bested but not before he had bitten a piece off my finger.
(he was very pleased with this story) . Then I spent about 20 min. helping another boy to complete a reading assignment in his workbook. Afterwards I asked the teacher how else i could help. She said they were breaking down into small groups to do another reading assignment and she asked me to work with a group of three girls.
The girls were not sp. ed kids but I remembered them. They were absolutely adorable kids. Anyway, as soon as I sat at there table they asked me about my finger (they had partly overheard my prior story about it). I told them we could discuss it when they had completed the assignment, which they did in about 20-25 minutes. When they were done we discussed my finger injury. As before I asked the girls, "Do you want the real story or the fake story?" Instantly, almost in chorus they said, The FAKE story!" So I said I had met a mean-looking guy with a parrot on his shoulder in an alley, and when he tried to rob me we fought. I said I beat him but not before his parrot pecked my finger and took a piece off. They were very pleased with that story, and I thought we were done when one of the girls said, "See this bruise? want to know how I got it?"
I said "yes, of course" and she said: "Do you want the real story or the fake story?"
When she said that, she already had me laughing, and I chose the fake story of course.
"Well", she said, "I was riding on a unicorn and when he jumped over a rainbow I fell off!"
The other two girls then proceded to point to a scratch and a bruise and asked the same question. Naturally I elected to hear their FAKE stories!
These kids are incredibly cute and funny!
....and the PAY ME for doing this!
roger

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 10:51 pm
@jjorge,
I like your signature line. But, I digress. . . .
0 Replies