Government steps down for Religious Holiday

Ibredd

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2003 08:01 pm
The judges who took action against another judge for posting the words of God, saying God has no place in government will take off tommorrow to honer the birthday of same God. I wonder will that be with or without pay, hum recieving the governments money while honering God.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,159 • Replies: 18
No top replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2003 08:04 pm
spell check, spell check...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2003 08:06 pm
Anyone can take time off for their religious holidays. That's what tolerance is all about.
0 Replies

Ibredd

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2003 08:17 pm
Will you give everyone time off for their religion with pay
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2003 08:26 pm
It depends. Some holidays last a day, some last weeks. Some are more important within the religion, some less. For Jews, Rosh hashana and Yom Kippur (prolly butchering the words, sorry) are more important holidays than Chanuka. Ramadan is important to muslims but the holiday lasts for weeks (I think).

Don't get me wrong. Our country's work force is definitely built on a christian frame. Spring break co-incides with Easter, winter break with Xmas. But, I don't think it's fair to pay christian employees for xmas off and not to pay employees of other religons for taking their major religious events off. I would like to see equal treatment for all religions' major holidays.
0 Replies

Ibredd

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2003 08:41 pm
Just think how wonderful its going to be when every court takes off a different Holiday and speaks a different language, or would this be complete chaos " liberal heaven"
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2003 09:01 pm
Ibredd it's Christmas Eve. Have a glass of warm milk and quit trying to pick a fight, or Santa won't
come to your house.

He's a liberal by the way.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2003 11:28 pm
Ibredd, do you really think that God was born on Dec. 25? Even if you believe that Jesus is God, Dec. 25 is probably not his birthday. That date was chosen to coincide with pagan celebrations of Mithra's birthday, the winter solstice, and the Saturnalia.

The US Constitution states that "no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States" and federal workers are not required to honor the birthday of Mithra or any other god, whether or not they get the day off. BTW, Christmas has only been a federal holiday since 1870.

Happy holidays to all, whatever traditions you celebrate.
0 Replies

PatriUgg

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2003 11:38 pm
Ibredd - Many companies I have worked for give 10 specific days off each year for various holidays,
plus 10 vacation/sick days that I can arrange any way I like.

The time off is then like ketchup. I can put them anywhere I like, and thank whichever God suits my taste. It's the perfect blend of integrity and hypocrisy, mixed with a dash of practicality.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 02:36 am
We have between 9 to 13 public (mostly religious baclkground) holidays here in Germany (depending on the state, and about the same number in other European countries). You get at least 20 working days vacancies (most get 6 weeks).

And, of course, people are complaing that the one or the other religious holiday is thought of to be cancelled.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 07:56 am
I guess a drowning man will even grasp at a straw -- but trying to make something out of the stuff IBREDD has been peddling the last few days is like a drowning man tring to grab onto water.

Whatever!

Today is Christmas and this agnostic is going to have a ball. Lots of good food, football, great company!

Wow! It don't get much better than this.

Merry Christmas everyone!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 08:53 am
this agnostic did have a great day off-yesterday.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 09:22 am
Today, Wislo - your far off this agnostic - [nearly] one full day :wink:
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 09:23 am
Me too. Even if I don't celebrate Christmas myself, I don't believe on raining on anybody's parade. Hey, who can knock something that brings so much joy to so many people? Have a Merry Christmas, everyone!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 06:40 pm
Very yesterday now!!!
0 Replies

KnightOfTheNile

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 07:03 pm
This agnostic had alot of fun too! Great presents, great time. Merry Christmas to all. But as for the topic, does it honestly matter that this judge received pay? I mean in all honesty DOES IT MATTER? God forbid the fact that the government doesn't disassociate itself with religion at every turn. They received pay for taking off on a religious holiday, they didn't nail a cross to your forehead and order you to believe in God. Spoiler!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 08:53 pm
Knight

In response to the question you asked twice..."does it matter?"...

...no, it doesn't.

But IBREDD wants to much for it to matter -- and it is Christmas, so...

This thread is going nowhere.
0 Replies

Ibredd

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 08:33 am
Frank Apisa
Wrong again I note the news services has picked up the story, so it want belong till the ACLU gets the scent, then it want be long untill all government employees will be at work on christmas day and the Judges will be holding court on christmas day, just because the 10 commandments had to go. Isn't it going to be a great world without God.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 08:52 am
Ibredd wrote:
Frank Apisa
Wrong again I note the news services has picked up the story, so it want belong till the ACLU gets the scent, then it want be long untill all government employees will be at work on christmas day and the Judges will be holding court on christmas day, just because the 10 commandments had to go.

IBREDD

Try to read your posts over before submitted them so there is at least a chance they are understandable.

I have no idea of why the fact that the news services have picked up this story -- means that I am wrong about the fact that this thread is going nowhere, but trying to figure out what you mean is often not worth the trouble.

If you want to think that Judges will soon be holding court on Christmas day because that idiotic monument was removed -- you certainly are entitled to do so. Anything that brings a bit of joy into your little life is well worth it.

Quote:
Isn't it going to be a great world without God.

It certainly would be a much better world if we got rid of all these absurd guesses about the gods -- that I agree with you completely. And if the only cost would be that we all work on Sunday and take some other day off -- it would be very well worth it.
0 Replies