Did you know you can now get some free services from Medicare?

Tue 8 Feb, 2011 12:41 pm
With the health--care reform laws, you're now eligible to get certain types of free preventive care, starting in 2011. These include:

Annual vaccinations, such as flue and pneumonia shots;

Pap tests and pelvic exams every two years;

Nutrition help if you have kidney problems or diabetes;

Cholesterol blood checks every five years;

Bone density tests of osteoporosis every two years;

Mammograms once a year;

Prostate exams and PSA tests every year;

Diabetes checks twice a year'

Colonoscopy and screenings at varying times.

However, if you have a Medicare Advantage Plan, check to be sure you're covered on free screenings. Read the fine print.

If you hit the prescription cost "doughnut hole" in 2010, you'll have a 50 percent discount on name-brand drugs in 2011.

If you need medical equipment, changes have been made there, too. Medicare now puts all contracts for medical equipment out for bid. If you have the original Medicare, you'll likely have to get your medical equipment and supplies such as oxygen, from and approved supplier. If your current supplier is not in the program, the only way your equipment will be paid for if that supplier signs up. Beware while traveling: If you don't use an approved supplier, you'll pay full price.

If you don't have the Medicare handbook that was sent to you last October. look online at www.medicare.gov for the "Medicare and You 2011 Handbook." Look for the blue apple symbols in the handbook to see preventive-care items. The site also has ZIP code directory for equipment suppliers. Or call Medicare at 1-800-633-4227.

roger

Tue 8 Feb, 2011 03:11 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
The annual flu and pneumonia shots go back way before 2011, as does blood work for diabetes and PSA. I'm not personally familiar with most of the others, but since the ones I am familiar with are nothing new, let's assume that many or most of the others are, as well
ossobuco

Tue 8 Feb, 2011 04:16 pm
@roger,
mammograms have been free for me since I have been on medicare (a while now, four years).

Didn't know about the colonoscopies. I am only interested in the xray one, since I read the regular one misses stuff on the right side for some reason. Xray one said to be just as good, and much less expensive, something like half. I can't back all that up at this point, but I'd read all that at some reputable source at the time.
blueveinedthrobber

Tue 8 Feb, 2011 04:33 pm
I'm just desperately trying to hold on and not get anything major for 3 more years.
0 Replies

roger

Tue 8 Feb, 2011 06:18 pm
@ossobuco,
For the past several years, colonoscopies have been covered, but I think there was some sort of deal where it had to be done within a certain time limit. I believe it was one year from eligibility, and possibly later at rather widely spaced intervals.
Phoenix32890

Thu 10 Feb, 2011 10:47 pm
@roger,
Rog- I think that you are right. If a person has had some polyps removed, they can have the colonoscopies at a shorter interval (don't remember how long). If he/she has never had any problems, it is then considered a screening colonoscopy (preventative), and the time frame for a repeat is longer.
roger

Thu 10 Feb, 2011 11:40 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Thanks. On further consideration, while it was always available initially, and later under certain conditions, I am not certain it was free, rather than just covered at the normal percentage of the approved medicare rate. I would have to do more research than I am planning to, to be sure it is now free rather than just 'covered' at the present time.
cody1234

Sat 12 Feb, 2011 08:22 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Be careful, nothing is for free!
roger

Sat 12 Feb, 2011 02:45 pm
@cody1234,
I'm going to have tanstaafl tattooed over my heart someday. Mostly though, when someone says something is free, it just means they got someone else to pay for it. Not to say I am against medicare. I use it myself, but I don't tell myself it's free.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Sat 12 Feb, 2011 08:17 pm
@roger,
Hmmm..... I have to check on the "free" thing. I keep forgetting that I have a Medigap policy, so I never have any copay.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Sat 12 Feb, 2011 08:20 pm
Rog- Here's straight from the "horse's mouth":

http://www.medicare.gov/navigation/manage-your-health/preventive-services/preventive-service-overview.aspx
0 Replies

DarleneAyers

Mon 11 Jul, 2016 06:18 am
in my opinion. All is part of medicare plans, nothing is free.
Region Philbis

Mon 11 Jul, 2016 06:28 am
@DarleneAyers,

funny -- you don't look like most of the Darlenes i know...
0 Replies