Is Anyone On A2K from Iceland?

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 01:44 pm
the weather might be a problem for me, as I get seasonal depression. My mood goes south when we go off daylight savings time. you can set your watch by it.

as far as taxation goes, you might be surprised to know that it's not paying taxes that I have a problem with it's paying taxes without getting anything in return except new **** for the military.

Taxation without representation is the problem here just like when we dumped tea into the harbor.
Taxation to educate every living soul, and give them good medical and dental care is taxation put to good use IMO. Apparently the Icelandic people bear out this statement.
0 Replies

Laeknir Scrat

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 02:01 pm
I agree with your view Bi-Polar.
No public money for war.

Well, I'm logging out.

Gleðileg jól.
Merry Christmas.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 03:31 pm
So Scrat, are you saying the U.S. should have a privately funded military, or should we just continuously broadcast a "We Surrender" beacon?
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 04:34 pm
cjhsa wrote:
So Scrat, are you saying the U.S. should have a privately funded military, or should we just continuously broadcast a "We Surrender" beacon?

I think you have the wrong Scrat, CJ.

BTW - it's your tax dollars protecting Iceland, the US has had a permanent base there since the 1950s. Check it out at: IDF - Iceland
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 04:54 pm
Nope, I was responding to Laeknir, I know the other Scrat.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 07:43 pm
Mr Stillwater wrote:
BTW - it's your tax dollars protecting Iceland, the US has had a permanent base there since the 1950s. Check it out at: IDF - Iceland

That was me! Very Happy But umm.. The IDF cost is split between the US, NATO and NORAD (a combination of the US and Canada) as well as some fees paid by transatlantic passenger planes (since the IDF also provides air traffic control over the North Atlantic).
0 Replies

PatriUgg

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 11:34 pm
Læknir Scrat wrote:
I think I've written too much.

NOT at all! You just made Iceland my next travel destination,
and I'm dying to know whatever you can tell us. Please continue . . .
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 09:48 am
I'm going to check with the Icelandic Chamber Of Commerce and see if a karaoke guy could work five days a week for good money. :wink:
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2003 10:26 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I'm going to check with the Icelandic Chamber Of Commerce and see if a karaoke guy could work five days a week for good money. :wink:

....and all the grass he can smoke???
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 11:48 am
I must have linked to a "pic of the day" or something. My picture above changed.
0 Replies

Laeknir Scrat

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 12:56 pm
chjsa, I'm so sorry, the plant got smaller Sad

And about the other matter.
Money for war is not the same as money for defense and security.
When those concepts get mixed up we enter an Orwellian 1984.
(Remember, Iceland is a good place for exile in dystopias) ;(
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 01:34 pm
Mr Scrat - just fascinating. Thanks for taking the time to tell us!

I think the weather would beat it for me - I'll tolerate having to wear a long-sleeved shirt, but any more than that and I'm grumpy!
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 03:50 pm
Margo, all you need there is long-sleeved shirts? I'm on my way! (We here in Western Washington are snowed in very nicely today.)
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 08:30 pm
Wy wrote:
Margo, all you need there is long-sleeved shirts? I'm on my way! (We here in Western Washington are snowed in very nicely today.)

Wy - we sometimes need more - but it never snows, for instance. The absolute lowest is about 35-40F, and that's first thing in the morning.

I've just been out for lunch, and it's about 90F! Razz
0 Replies