Is Anyone On A2K from Iceland?

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 07:14 pm
I have become fascinated with Iceland and would like to find out more about it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,350 • Replies: 53
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 07:16 pm
are you asking about my first wife?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 07:25 pm
The only ice in MY land is in my drinks! Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 07:30 pm
Contact your local library, and see if you can get a copy of Laxdaela Saga. Basically, it starts with one of the Norge Barons, Ketill Flatnose, who left Norway (when Harald the Fairhaired began to unite it in a kingdom under his rule), and, landing in Scotland, is killed fighting the Kelts. His daughter, Uhn the Deepmind (cool name, huh?), keeps the survivors together through the winter, and then sets out for Iceland. Iceland was heavily populated by Norge who wanted no part of a unified kingdom.

From Laxdaela Saga:

"In the latter days of Ketill arose the power of King Harald the Fairhaired, in such a way that no folkland king or other great men could thrive in the land unless he alone ruled what title should be theirs."

Uhn leads her people to Iceland, but i'm not giving away the story. It's a real pot boiler, a soap opera, which starts a few generations after Uhn, and deals with the tribulations of her people. I think you might really enjoy it. It was written about 1250.

Also, check out Snorri Sturluson, an Icelandic poet who lived from 1179 to 1241. He is remembered for the Prose Edda, a textbook for Icelandic skalds (bards who sing the praises of heroes and kings), and for the Heimskringla, which is the most complete collection of the ancient Norse mythology. He is also believed to be the author of Egil's Saga, and is almost certainly the author of Olaf's Saga, which was expanded from his Heimskringla.

I think you might enjoy them, at least the Heimskringla, which explains the ancient Norse and Gothic mythology . . .
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 07:42 pm
I think the other Scrat is from Iceland. Can't recall the complete name, but not the Scrat that frequents the political threads.

This place is being overrun with saber toothed squirels!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 07:43 pm
That would be Laeknir Scrat . . . why doncha PM him, Bear?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 07:44 pm
Does anyone remember Lava from Abuzz? He's icelandic, though I'm not sure he was even born there.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 07:53 pm
I know they are the only country in the world the boasts a 100% literacy rate.
I had a friend who visited a couple of years ago and he told me there are more women than men. He deduced that icelandic girls were easy..........
Perfect place for a Bear I'm thinkin'.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 08:36 pm
What are you implying about my moral fiber anyway Ceili?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 08:39 pm
They are some of the happiest people in the world with the lowest infant mortality rate, the longest life span, 100 literate....one of the highest per capita incomes, low crime, highly educated, and yet a full 80% of them truly believe in elves......if they like to smoke dope I gotta pack.
0 Replies

PatriUgg

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 08:40 pm
Could they actually be elves?
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 09:04 pm
Setanta, wow. I gotta get that!

I'm lucky, I guess -- my local library will get it for me, even if they have to go cross-country! I once asked for a book and when it came in, they told me they borrowed it inter-library from St. Louis! (I'm in Seattle)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 09:08 pm
I like that kinda stuff, maybe the Bear won't . . . if yer into it, Wy, i highly recommend it . . .
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 09:14 pm
Bi...I'm implying that you love literate women, that's all, nothing more-nothing less.
wink wink nudge nudge.............
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 09:16 pm
Say no more !
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 09:17 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
They are some of the happiest people in the world with the lowest infant mortality rate, the longest life span, 100 literate....one of the highest per capita incomes, low crime, highly educated, and yet a full 80% of them truly believe in elves......if they like to smoke dope I gotta pack.

They have plenty of MJ floating around up there.. They also have pretty near the world's higest rates of alcoholism. ( I spent a year living up there in the early 90s.)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 09:21 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Just a suggestion now, but leave off the dope and substitute Archangel Maroni for the elves and you might want to give Provo, Utah a shot.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 09:32 pm
littlek wrote:
Does anyone remember Lava from Abuzz?

Remember him?! You don't forget a tortured soul like that!

Remember when he was planning to totally denude himself of skin? Or his problem with shy bladder?
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 09:47 pm
Here's a link to the CIA Fact Book (very up-to-date):
CIA Factbook: Iceland

280,000 people in an area 'slightly smaller than Kentucky'.

No armed forces, police or coast guard.

Try practising these placenames:
Akranes*, Akureyri*, Arnessysla, Austur-Bardhastrandarsysla, Austur-Hunavatnssysla, Austur-Skaftafellssysla, Borgarfjardharsysla, Dalasysla, Eyjafjardharsysla, Gullbringusysla, Hafnarfjordhur*, Husavik*, Isafjordhur*, Keflavik*, Kjosarsysla, Kopavogur*, Myrasysla, Neskaupstadhur*, Nordhur-Isafjardharsysla, Nordhur-Mulasys-la, Nordhur-Thingeyjarsysla, Olafsfjordhur*, Rangarvallasysla, Reykjavik*, Saudharkrokur*, Seydhisfjordhur*, Siglufjordhur*, Skagafjardharsysla, Snaefellsnes-og Hnappadalssysla, Strandasysla, Sudhur-Mulasysla, Sudhur-Thingeyjarsysla, Vesttmannaeyjar*, Vestur-Bardhastrandarsysla, Vestur-Hunavatnssysla, Vestur-Isafjardharsysla, Vestur-Skaftafellssysla
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 05:10 am
roger wrote:
Just a suggestion now, but leave off the dope and substitute Archangel Maroni for the elves and you might want to give Provo, Utah a shot.

heeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheehee . . .

You crack me up, Boss . . .

You gotta know how to Pony
Like Phoney Maroni . . .
0 Replies