Map help please

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 06:49 pm
@tsarstepan,
In the case of the AAA trip planner, you can see all the points of interest along the way. They show map and street views of them similar to what Google does.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 07:16 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

This whole virtual walking seems to me a goofy exercise.

I mean if you don't actually walk to a real destination then why bother with virtual walks.

You might as well virtually walk to the sun and back. Or Pluto and back. Or Alpha Centuri and back.

The sun's too far, and it gets too hot. Especially in the summer.

The reason I plotted this map is to get an idea of where I would be if I acutally started walking.

I have a few routes around my neighborhood, a couple of places I take a short drive to, to take a walk, like the park, or the greenbelt. However, while walking through the neighborhood, how many times can you pass that house with the green shutters and barking dog, before you don't even give it a glance? Walking down a busier street, there's only so many times you can pass the piercing place, the mexican restaurant, barber shop, gas station, before you pay no attention.

I'm not planning some epic, walking 20 miles a day journey. I just thought it would be cool to keep track of your 1 or 2 mile walks, maybe park a block away from work and walk, adding on that distance, and seeing where that would put you on a big journey.

On the way from Texas to SD, I'd be walking through a lot of cornfields, prairies, and empty highway, but I think that would be cool to visualize whilst walking through my more urban area.
dyslexia

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 07:38 pm
@chai2,
totally cool. the universe is actually bigger than you. Using topo maps and taking 10 years I actually walked the Uncompahgre Plateau of western colorado only managing to cover a small portion (150 sq miles)
chai2

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 07:49 pm
@dyslexia,
wow, there's a lot of awesome pictures on the net.

http://activerain.com/image_store/uploads/2/8/6/7/5/ar125914595957682.jpg
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 10:06 am
Have fun on your walk. I'd love to hear how you are doing, what sights you are "seeing" and what the experience feels like as you reach certain points (state lines, your city town limits, whatever).

Joe(I am still on the island of Manhattan.)Nation
George

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 10:56 am
@Joe Nation,
You gonna plot a virtual run, Joe?
I think I'll head for Montreal, avoiding highways.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 12:10 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

Have fun on your walk. I'd love to hear how you are doing, what sights you are "seeing" and what the experience feels like as you reach certain points (state lines, your city town limits, whatever).

Joe(I am still on the island of Manhattan.)Nation

ha.
last night I plotted 3 miles on my trek. That puts me up by University Cyclery.

http://www.universitycyclery.com/images/index_1.jpg
JPB

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 12:24 pm
@chai2,
Very Cool!

I just created a map titled "Walking to New Orleans". I used the walk directions on google maps which avoids highways. It says I can do it in 12.5 days. HA! I'll be happy to do it (926 miles) in 12.5 months.

Thanks for the tip!
George

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 12:30 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
. . . last night I plotted 3 miles on my trek. That puts me up by University Cyclery.

Rent a bike.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 12:56 pm
@JPB,
wow JPB, our destinations are almost equally far (mine is 931 miles)
hmmm, in 12.5 months, that would be....click click click.....about 2.5 miles a day!

Walking to New Orleans....cute.

We should both share pictures along the way!
JPB

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 01:07 pm
@chai2,
I'll have to start off slower than that. I'm still nursing a broken leg/ankle. It will give me an incentive to get out of my chair and do whatever I can do and hopefully build up to some decent daily distances.
chai2

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 01:13 pm
@JPB,
oh, sorry.

I was all set to do a walk tonight, but my husband just called and made me a better offer for after work.
The weathers nice, and he's going to take me for a ride with the top down.

Make of that what you will.
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 01:22 pm
@chai2,
Which top, yours or the car's?
chai2

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 01:31 pm
@Butrflynet,
maybe both, if he's lucky.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 06:08 pm
I walked 1.0 mile which leaves me in the middle of the forest preserve. Not a bad place to spend the night in the summertime, but I expect it will get a little chilly this evening. That's the first mile I've walked in nearly five months. I walked from the parking garage, to the restaurant, to Symphony Center, and back to the parking garage last week (probably not more than 1 mile total with two long rest breaks) and I didn't leave the house for three days afterward. We'll see how I feel tomorrow.

Enjoy your ride, chai.
chai2

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 07:08 pm
@JPB,
Good on you JPB!

Of course you brought your virtual sleeping bag.

We went to La Madeleine for supper so no walkies tonight.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 07:24 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:
. . . That's the first mile I've walked in nearly five months. . .

Yeah!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 04:29 pm
@JPB,
I finally got back over to the gym today and added a couple miles to my walk. I'm now in Cook County. I've left the forest preserve and have turned W to begin a gradual SSW path that will take me through the western suburbs and on into southern IL. Once I get out of Chicagoland, most of my walk will be through farmland and forests, including Shawnee National Forest in far southern IL.

Nearly half of my trip will be in IL. I'll cross over into KY at Paducah, traverse the NW corner of KY, cross into TN and take a straight shot S through TN and all of MS, finally crossing into LA near Slidell.

I'm curious how long it will take me to skirt Chicago. I'll consider myself out of Chicagoland once I get to Joliet. That's about 60miles from my starting point. I'll set that as my first goal.

How you doing, chai?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 10:12 am
I've been meaning to get back to this with an update. I've started walking regularly again (treadmill only) and have completed about 45 miles of my journey. I attempted a short/slow walk outside yesterday but I'm still not up to walking on pavement.

I have just passed through Lemont, IL. My walk took me over the Illinois and Michigan Canal which "was finished in 1848 when Chicago Mayor James Hutchinson Woodworth presided over its opening; and it allowed boat transportation from the Great Lakes to the Mississippi River and the Gulf of Mexico. The canal enabled navigation across the Chicago Portage and helped establish Chicago as the transportation hub of the United States, opening before railroads were laid in the area. Its function was largely replaced by the wider and shorter Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal in 1900 and it ceased transportation operations in 1933." (wiki)

My route also took me past the Hindu Temple of Greater Chicago, a massive two-temple center of worship for the Hindi population of Chicago.
 http://htgc.org/test/images/stories/templepics/htgcaerialview_thm.jpg
http://htgc.org/test/images/stories/Inauguration_2010/IMG_6572-w500.jpg
The Rama Temple, which includes Sri Rama, Sita and Lakshmana; Lord Ganesha, Sri Hanuman, Lord Venkateshwara (Balaji), Mahalakshmi, Sri Krishna and Radha
http://htgc.org/test/images/stories/templepics/DSC02258_thm.jpg
and The Ganesha-Shiva-Durga Temple, which includes, Lord Shiva, Lord Ganesha, Durga Devi, Lord Subrahmanya, Devi Parvathi, and Navagraha.
http://htgc.org/test/images/stories/templepics/dsc04540_thm.jpg

Also, while not directly on my path, Lemont is home of Cogs Hill Country Club where one of the PGA tour events is played in September.

I began my journey in the NE corner of IL in southern Lake County. I'm currently in Will County about 7.5 miles NE of Joliet where I'll make a turn to the south and leave Chicagoland behind.

http://geology.com/county-map/illinois-county-map.gif
George

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 01:54 pm
@JPB,
Way to go, JPB!

Alas, I have only logged 19.7 miles of jogging so far this year.
I'm on Rt 28 North and just crossed the state line into New Hampshire.
0 Replies