Thread For Christians and Other People Who Believe in a Higher Spiritual Power

wmwcjr

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 10:51 pm
@Lash,
I don't think you've mucked up the intent of this thread at all. You made a legitimate complaint. You've shown more civility than I have at times. As far as continuing our discussion, I don't know what to do now. I could ask Snood if he would mind if we continued our discussion here, or I could start a thread of my own. Communicating by means of PM might be a good idea.
0 Replies

peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 06:13 pm
@snood,
Sometimes it realy amazes me. Its like God realy does have a master plan. And we are just a small part of it. Personaly I loved youre Title, Its provocative It brought out the true emotions in people. You are blessed by doing this and bringing out peoples personal points of views. So we can learn from each other. So me personaly I thank You kind sir Smile
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2011 09:21 am
Lash:
Quote:
While I don't intend to ruin your thread or attack people who'd like to talk here - I have to tell you I'm really surprised that you start this thing with such a mean-spirited slap against other people....your "Christian thread."

If you read the small print in my launch post, and then still replied this way, I guess you’ve lost your sense of humor about this type thing, or you don’t appreciate mine. In any case, let me explain... I wrote this tongue in cheek.

When I said “would appreciate it if atheists and agnostics don’t visit”, I was poking at the parts of the atheist’s thread where they try to encourage believers to take their comments elsewhere. See the irony? No?

When I said “this is NOT a thread for bashing atheists”, and then made the comment that we all know how unpleasant atheists and agnostics are, I was just turning around the posts in the atheist’s thread that submit that their thread is not intended for the insult of believers, but somehow still manage to take a swipe at the 2 or 3 believers who visit their thread. (Not even a snicker?)

Quote:
And, I recall several threads where atheists and agnostics wanted to focus on a few issues - and were constantly harassed by "Christians," including you.

Wow. Okay - your opinion of what went down on those threads. Everybody's got one.

Quote:
This is the kind of behavior that gives Christianity its bad reputation.

For those people who don’t like Christianity, they don’t need my help in thinking badly of it. Besides, I am not supposing myself to speak for Christians.

Quote:
Anyway, if you don't engage me, I've said my piece.

Say however much of a "piece" you'd like - free country. And for those higher power believer types who showed up here, since we're already talking, I'd be glad to carry on the conversation about things that cross your minds.
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2011 10:41 am
@snood,
Makes sense to me Smile
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2011 10:52 am
@snood,
'Speak your piece' and 'hold your peace'
Posted Wednesday, November 11, 2009
Comments (20)
Speak your piece and hold your peace are two common idioms in English.

It's easy to confuse the spelling of piece/peace in these idioms, but there is a logic to the difference.

Speak your piece means "state your opinion or view." One sense of the word piece is specific to this expression.

He'd planned to speak his piece at the next meeting.

I encourage you all to speak your piece before we decide.

Several other residents came forward to speak their piece.

==

Hold your peace means the same as hold your tongue: "to keep silent or to not say anything about something." It's commonly heard in traditional marriage vows:

Should anyone here present know of any reason that this couple should not be joined in holy matrimony, speak now or forever hold your peace. (This line is old-fashioned and not used very often anymore, but is heard in old movies depicting wedding ceremonies).

You must hold your peace and accept the changes.

The waiter was discreet and held his peace.

~Merriam-Webster.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2011 05:17 pm
Uh... Thanks, Lash! Shocked
Lash

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2011 06:14 pm
@snood,
Hey- we've been doing this long enough to know what one of us means when we put a word we use in parenthesis. Cool
Lash

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2011 09:00 pm
@Lash,
um,...quotations...
snood

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 05:52 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

um,...quotations...

Well, ya lost me, but as long as you feel like you made yer point......
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 10:26 am
@snood,
Me:
Anyway, if you don't engage me, I've said my piece.

You:
Say however much of a "piece" you'd like - free country. And for those higher power believer types who showed up here, since we're already talking, I'd be glad to carry on the conversation about things that cross your minds.

We usually ding each other with quotations when we think the other has made a spelling or grammar error... (What asses we are, btw...lol. Hope you have a great day!)

Good luck with the Higher Power peeps!!!
snood

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 04:14 pm
@Lash,
I honestly am suprised. I meant no 'ding' - was actually aiming for' bland response that elicits no negative reaction'. I think you're being VERY sensitive and taking things VERY personally. And what makes it weird is you're the one who was just reminding that things aren't "all about" ME.

Whew.

Lash

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 07:39 pm
@snood,
I thought your response was really great. Mayhap you can straighten me out and explain why you quoted "piece." Smile I'm obviously in need of a good talking to!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 07:40 pm
Hey, I have a personal higher power question. Is there still an active Bill W thread??
failures art

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 08:15 pm
I was once a Diest. My life experience has not changed dramatically. I like mostly the same music, film, and art as I did before.

A
R
T
snood

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 08:44 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Hey, I have a personal higher power question. Is there still an active Bill W thread??

I don't know... But don't I remember you thinking that AA was a big cult that indoctrinates people into ritualistic religion-like behavior?
snood

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 08:50 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

I was once a Diest. My life experience has not changed dramatically. I like mostly the same music, film, and art as I did before.

A
R
T

I have had many periods of time when I struggled with my faith (having one now). There has always been something that happened to restore it. I heard once that doubt is a part of faith. I can understand why whoever said that, did.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 09:18 pm
@snood,
Yes. I wouldn't go there with that kind of rhetoric now. I did have that opinion - and largely still do - but the bottom line for me is "whatever works to help someone stop wrecking their life is good."

I am basically wondering what recovering alcoholics are doing to remain "sober;" sober, I think, being a distinction from just not drinking... Some people I guess are on the 12th step, which (I think) is being of service. I wanted to ask recovering alcoholics is - does the anger that seems to accompany alcoholism dissipate when they follow some prescribed behavior - or if they are always combating some intrinsic anger...

I guess I could trawl back through really old posts to find it.
wayne

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 09:33 pm
@Lash,
Most of us, who remain sober, work at continued development of some sort of faith. It doesn't seem to matter much where one chooses to place that faith, as long as it is outside of ourself.
There is a process, the 12 steps is one way, of restoring self-honesty for the recovering alcoholic. The anger, and other emotions, recede directly proportionate to the effort one puts into it.
The recovering alcoholic really isn't any different than anyone else, he just sometimes thinks he is.
Lash

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 06:14 am
@wayne,
Thanks!
0 Replies

dpmartin

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 06:57 am
Yes, but where does the anger really come from? Guilt, shame and or blame? Pain? A heart of ingratitude? Misplaced trust in the expectation of fulfillment? How does one really overcome, and rid oneself of anger?

This is a Christian thread and many say Jesus is the answer, (no doubt) but how does that really work?