SealPoet's Christmas... so far

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2003 03:06 pm
Wanted to start a thread on my observations of Christmas for 2003. Thought I'd start with observations of Christmas 1999...

Quote:
My God, it's the Christmas season again.

In August when the department stores display the hip-shaking, Jingle Bell Rock Santa Claus for only 49.95, I think the Grinch was right.

The commercials, and the parties, and the television, and the toys, and the stress, and the noise noise noise… Santa Claus wears a red suit because Coca-Cola said so, and Rudolph was written for Montgomery Ward. Alvin still wants his Hula-Hoop and the Grinch was right.

And I have stolen all of the toys and all of the trappings, and hauled it all to the top of Mount Crumpit, to dump it.

And I stop, and I listen for the other Whos, who are surely as miserable as I… and I hear singing.

The Whos know the difference between Xmas, and Christ Mass: the celebration of the gift of the miraculous child.

All children are gifts. All children are miraculous. And all of us have been gifted, miraculous children too.

Christmas doesn't come from a store. The Grinch was right, and hearts can grow three sizes.

Merry Christmas you old Building and Loan. Merry Christmas Mr. Potter.

And God bless us, every one!

PS. For anyone who feels annually Grinchy I would like to recommend "Hundred Dollar Holiday, The Case for a More Joyful Christmas" by Bill McKibben

More when I return...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 985 • Replies: 10
No top replies

SealPoet

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2003 05:17 pm
The most profound thing that I've started doing, in my mind if not aloud, is replaceing 'manger' with 'food trough'. She laid him in a food-trough for there was no room in the inn... the Nativity becomes a story of abject poverty...

Demystify, and apply to your own life, and the lives of those you might affect...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2003 05:38 pm
Howdy, friend.
Thought I'd stop in
To wish you and yours
A Christmas grin.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 05:36 am
Doing ok mostly. The worst is over... the company Christmas party. Three hours of looking around and muttering 'I really don't belong here', which is something I say at work far too often as well.

Christmas bonus: you put your name into a bag, then when your name is pulled out you get to choose something from the table of greed. An obscene assortment of consumer goods and power tools. Chosen by the heads of the company who are two overgrown kids on a shopping spree. TV's, Stereos, Power Tools (lotsa power tools), Bikes.

Nothing I need, little I want. I scarfed up 150$ gift certificates for Best Buy. Don't know what I'll be loking for... BB does carry music to some extent. I'll wait 'till after my birthday, then treat myself.

But the gall to think that these macho guys know what their employees want. It's a good thing (for them) that of the 150 or so there are only 6 female employees!

But yesterday I sang with the choir for the first time on a Sunday service, and chatted with many people at coffee hour. Edgar, I think you'd like this crowd. It's a church and all, but atheists are as welcome as anyone. Hell, they let me in.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 05:40 am
I don't know if we'll be getting an annual bonus this year, and if we don't i will only be able to attribute the fact to the rationalizations of our employer, who has sufficient funds to be generous, but has an agenda for the money, which is involved in his ego, and takes no cognizance of what employees might have contributed to his success.

That being said, we've all already gotten our $50 Honey Baked Ham gift certificate, and will likely get a generous gift in addition. Last year, we were all given digital cameras. He's not a bad man, but he's willful and a true master at rationalization. I just wish he wouldn't come to me for reassurance that his rationalizations are justified. Hell, i want my annual bonus, i've already earned it!
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 07:54 am
Gee... sounds familiar! At least my boss has the sense to offer a selection. (And last year I did score a digital camera... Mrs. SealPoet uses it.)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 09:03 am
xmas bonuses.... sigh. Reading along.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 09:21 am
SealPoet
Many of my best friends attend church regularly. I takes them as I finds them.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 10:52 am
I work for the gov't...no christmas bonuses. only the damned 'customer satisfaction survey' which i've hashed over in another thread.

Christmas at work this year was frought with losers and co-workers who don't listen. Most of 'em are dirty bastards (shhhh). Remind me please, never to plan the christmas luncheon again.

Home Christmas is as bright and cheery as ever. Mr. Onyx even admitted to enjoying shopping yesterday....could have something to do with leaving me behind and not having a buzzing little "can i have that" in his ear... hmm....

Merry Christmas
Happy Channukah
Happy Kwanzaa
Happy Winter Solstice
blah blah balh
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 06:01 pm
I dreamed
of the beam
of a red-nose deer,
all on a midnight clear.
A jingle of bells
the elf fortells:
clatters on roof lumber
wake me from my slumber.
I chase a twinkling light
that winks out of sight - !!!
The elf has gone,
in an instant flown,
and there beneath the tree
the family gathered with me.
Aye, he's a quick old elf;
I attach a blessing on himself:
Merry Christmas, Santa;
blessed mantra.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 06:45 pm
There's a house a couple of town's over. Full blown lights, with half a sleigh sticking out of the front of the house. A reindeer sillouette, half an elf, and Santa hanging by one hand off one of the runners.

I wonder if this guy would be as funny two years ago (the 12/25 following 9/11)
0 Replies