What is your favorite film score?

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 12:53 pm
8 1/2 (Nino Rota)

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 03:43 pm
@Lash,
FM mentioned Ashokan Farewell too - tied with the reading of the Sullivan Balloo letter from the Civil War Soundtrack is amazing - I get shivers just thinking about it. Freaky.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 03:47 pm
If the Donnie Darko only had the Gary Jules version of Mad World on it would still be worthing buying.... Best. Cover. Ever?

farmerman

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 03:58 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
we chose it for the music at my husband's funeral service.
Its a brilliant yet simple piece of music.. I told my wife to consider two pieces of music for me (should I go first). either the Ashokan Farewell or Warren Zevons "Keep me in your heart for a while". Both bring tears to my eyes.
aidan

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 04:00 pm
Yeah - that is a great cover.

I also love this soundtrack pretty much in its entirety:

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 04:00 pm
I love Danny Elfmann's Edward Scissorhands soundtrack - worked with the movie beautifully - it's just a pity every soundtrack he's done since sounds the same.

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 05:32 pm
@farmerman,
(smiling) Will now listen to Zevon's song. The Ashokan Farewell was indeed lovely and evocative.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 05:33 pm
@hingehead,
Oh my gosh! When I saw Donnie Darko, I fell in love with that song, HH. It's on my playlist now.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2011 03:07 am
I forgot about this - one of my favorite soundtracks ever - and especially this song:

0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2011 03:35 am
Also love the soundtrack to Dangerous Minds - Coolio did the most famous song off that one - Gangster's Paradise - sampled off Stevie Wonder.

I like the whole soundtrack really - but am especially glad to have discovered Rappin' 4Tay (get it - Forte) and Aaron Hall - who'd I'd never have heard of otherwise. Good thing about this one is that my kids like it too - so they don't make me turn it off or change it in the car - we can ALL enjoy it together- and it has a good message:

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2011 08:20 pm
In terms of movies that use existing music as a soundtrack...

Dogs In Space has always been a fave

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2011 08:23 pm
In a similar self-destructive nihilist way, Repo Man rocks too!

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2011 08:28 pm
An a fitting last place to a trilogy of counterculture films is the Liquid Sky soundtrack, possibly the first done on the Fairlight CMI, worked perfectly with a movie made by Russian emigres about New York's underground being visited by a malevolent alien - truly other worldly music. Still.

0 Replies