What is your favorite film score?

aidan

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 09:35 am
Loved the movie 'Ghost World'

and the music:

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 09:40 am
The end theme from " Waking Ned Divine" has become one of my favorite movie scores.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDB87o-njFQ&feature=related
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 09:41 am
The Virgin Suicides had some great music:

0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 09:58 am
I love every single song on this soundtrack - but I love pretty much everything Eddie Vedder writes and does with or without Pearl Jam:

The movie is Into the Wild - it's a great movie and the soundtrack is, I think, almost entirely original Eddie Vedder compositions written for the movie specifically.

0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 10:03 am
I forgot about this song - and it's one of the very best in the whole movie:

0 Replies

mags314772

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 10:17 am
Cinema Paradiso.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMgTCtSxOHE
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 01:38 pm
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 04:16 pm
Well if we're moving from 'favorite' to really like.....
I haven't yet seen someone post something I didn't already know and love - kudos people!

I loved this move - and soundtrack - a mixture of original score and dystopian alt electronic - best use ever of PiL's best track (screw you Blair Witch Project!)

snood

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 04:46 pm
Hey, help a computer illiterate brother out! How do I post a youtube clip to the thread?
djjd62

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 04:52 pm
@snood,
you can just put the address in [url][/url] tags, but to embed the video you need to put the address between [youtube][/youtube] tags

so this
Code:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaVNfZWBVhQ[/youtube]

gets you this

0 Replies

MonaLeeza

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 04:58 pm
@tsarstepan,
I like Joe Hisaishi too. The score for Hanabi comes to mind - it's one of very few soundtracks I've ever bothered to buy. Peaceful, evocative music while I'm working.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 05:26 pm
Someone has to mention Ennio Morricone!

How did he find those weird woodwinds?

snood

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 06:47 pm
thanks djj

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 06:56 pm
@farmerman,
Farmerman, the sweeping epic score of The Last of the Mohicans is an excellent choice. It can bring forth a swell of emotions even without it's accompanying film which is an excellent period film in the first place.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 06:57 pm
@farmerman,
Ken Burns has an excellent ear for bringing simple unobtrusive music to gently overlay his epic documentary series.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 07:09 pm
@hingehead,
Hingehead, you are the only person I have ever met who has ever mentioned the rare and highly effective B horror film Hardware. One of the most effectively scary films I have ever seen. Great score.

~
Not all great scores are the traditional classical instrumental chamber music/orchestra based scores.

I really love the jazz scores from Sideways. Know that there are others but I can't put my finger on the names right about now.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003DFLU26/ref=dm_sp_alb?ie=UTF8&qid=1295831314&sr=8-4
Very bubbly! Very well suited for the film! Very Happy
hingehead

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 07:19 pm
@tsarstepan,
How weird - Sideways, the movie, has been on my list of must sees for years courtesy of a Guardian review - must try and rent it.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 07:21 pm
I'm working my way backwards through my catalogue and I've got a couple of Peter Gabriel scores worthy of a mention:

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 09:20 pm
@hingehead,
I was unaware that Peter Gabriel was a film composer.

The second selection of a film, Familia(?), I never heard of before has a great menacing yet melancholic sensibility to it, especially the beginning. It's not on his IMDb page.

~~
I love adore Asiatic influenced scores and one of my favorite film scores is from Ang Lee's Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon:
hingehead

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 09:28 pm
@tsarstepan,
Hi Stepan

The video is unrelated to the music - the 'familia' referred to was the spanish-speaking poster's family (hence the collage of old pics). The music is 'Gracie's recapture' from Gabriel's soundtrack for 'Rabbit Proof Fence'