The problems with school?

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 12:18 pm
After a brief look at the universities of ancient greece, public places for intellectual debate and discussion, I cant help wondering if that style would be much better than our modern school system. It seems to me that the constant memorization discourages creative thought in that students are only rewarded for knowing the facts, not understanding or taking it a step further than the basics taught in the classroom. What would be the benefit from universities based on reasoned debate and would they work in today's culture?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 889 • Replies: 6
No top replies

MonaLeeza

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 03:43 pm
@HFgulliver,
I did an arts degree (albeit a long time ago - but not quite ancient Greece) and it was based on 'understanding' and 'reasoned debate'. I don't remember ever being examined on facts alone.
HFgulliver

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 01:33 am
@MonaLeeza,
sorry, i guess i should have mentioned that im not exactly at a university level of learning. So if it really is different then wonderful!

however i believe elementary through high school are the formative years of any student. It is during these times that we learn how to learn and i believe if it is based on memorization students will continue to learn based on primarily memorization

Of course this is all assuming my education has been the average. Of course there will be outstanding teachers and classes that promote debate, and (hopefully) especially in college classes will be different. I dont pretend to know everyone's situation, just make observations based on my experience. So Im sure you did have a very different education and good for you for recieving what i consider the best kind.
MonaLeeza

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 05:22 am
@HFgulliver,
I don't know where you are. I'm in Australia and my kids are both at high school and so far i've been very happy with their education . It certainly hasn't been about rote learning and memorisation. If that is the situation where you are then I do sympathise.
HFgulliver

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 10:49 pm
@MonaLeeza,
America, and it is almost completely based on memorisations. I actually have a class called Morality this semester though, which as you might imagine, cannot be based on memorisation. It was only through this class that i began to see the problems with the rest.

Anyway I was writing a research paper on the faults of the modern school system until you enlightened me to the fact that my high school doesnt exaclty represent the entire world. Since looking into it more though i am prepared to say that my experience is the average for america, if not the world. Since then i have changed to writing about America's faults in particular so thank you for pointing that out.
0 Replies

mars90000000

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 11:53 pm
well, you need to know the facts before you can think creatively about them, or else you would further entangle yourself in the web of illusions.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 12:24 am
@HFgulliver,
HFgulliver wrote:
After a brief look at the universities of ancient greece, public places for intellectual debate and discussion, I cant help wondering if that style would be much better than our modern school system. It seems to me that the constant memorization discourages creative thought in that students are only rewarded for knowing the facts, not understanding or taking it a step further than the basics taught in the classroom. What would be the benefit from universities based on reasoned debate and would they work in today's culture?
Before the facts can be debated,
the debaters must ascertain WHAT
the facts R.

David
0 Replies