The Kennedys

dobey

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 10:30 am
I cant help it. I think they are the most inspirational people of the last century, as well as Winston Churchill. These men stood up for what they beleive is right. Strangely enough my favourite is Ted Kennedy. He has so many bad things happen, yet he just kept on trying to do right. To me that s a hero? We dont seem to have people like this around now. What do you think?

engineer

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 10:52 am
@dobey,
According the President Carter, Ted Kennedy personally killed health care legislation for political reasons and that is why we are still struggling with it today.

President Jimmy Carter wrote:
“The fact is that we would have had comprehensive health care now, had it not been for Ted Kennedy's deliberately blocking the legislation that I proposed,” Carter said of the senator who died last year.

“It was his fault. Ted Kennedy killed the bill,” Carter added, blaming a political feud between the then-titans of Democratic politics. “He did not want to see me have a major success in that realm of life.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0910/42289.html#ixzz1BJQKFJio
JTT

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 05:26 pm
@engineer,
I'm not saying that I doubt what Carter is saying - I have no way of knowing for sure either way - but why didn't he state this openly at the time?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 05:55 pm
@dobey,
I have no problem with the word heroic. I was opposed to everything Ted Kennedy stood for, except for the failed McCain/Kennedy bill, but I never doubted the man's sincerity.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 06:15 pm
I was no fan of JFK. I did not like early RFK, but came to support him for president. Ted Kennedy is a mixed bag. Not worth a crap early on, then blocking health legislation. In his later years I liked him very much.
Setanta

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 06:16 pm
I have a complex reaction to Ted Kennedy. I can't say i have a good reason to doubt his sincerity, but i do. I think he was a consummate machine politician, and i'd say that was always his motive. I think Bobby Kennedy was the one really heroic member of that family who was in the political line. He openly spoke out against that Vietnam War at a time when that was not the reaction of the political mainstream. I think Jack Kennedy was sincere about his legilative program--Social Security Survivors' Benefits, Social Security Disability, and his civil rights program. I also think that he had an aristocratic view of himself, that he saw himself as free of normal social constraints because of who he was.

All of these are feelings, and i can't really say i have any evidence to condemn either Jack or Ted. I do think the public record of Bobby entitles him to the mantle of heroism.
0 Replies

dobey

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 07:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
Why did you change your mind about him later on?
dobey

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 07:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
Why did you change your mind about him? Who in history is your hero?
dobey

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 07:42 pm
@engineer,
What is your health care legislation in America? I live in Australia and our is quite different. We have something called medicare which entitles every one to medical help.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 07:43 pm
@dobey,
Which one? Robert? When he was attorny general, I thought of him as ruthless and heavy-handed. He underwent a transformation and became a spokesman for ending the war. I can't say for sure what he would have done, re social programs, but I felt he would push the kind of liberalism I support.
0 Replies

dobey

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 07:44 pm
@edgarblythe,
Why did you support Bobby Kenendy later
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 07:45 pm
@dobey,
One can suggest the likes of Theodore Roosevelt as an almost epic hero.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 07:49 pm
I have many heroes. ML King, Tom Paine, the Veterans against the Vietnam War, F Roosevelt, to name a few.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 07:55 pm
@edgarblythe,
Edgar, you're a tad too informal with Mr. THOMAS Paine.... Wink
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 08:01 pm
@tsarstepan,
Me n Tom go back a ways. Unless he's in his cups, he's often informal with me.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 08:22 pm
@dobey,
dobey wrote:
I cant help it. I think they are the most inspirational people of the last century, as well as Winston Churchill. These men stood up for what they beleive is right.[So did Stalin, Hitler, Mao, the Kennedys, Castro and Pol Pot.] Strangely enough my favourite is Ted Kennedy. He has so many bad things happen, yet he just kept on trying to do right. To me that s a hero? We dont seem to have people like this around now.

What do you think?
I have always held the Kennedys in contempt.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 08:26 pm
@dobey,
dobey wrote:
Strangely enough my favourite is Ted Kennedy.
I bet Mary Jo Kopechne 's family woud deem that strange enuf.

He got away with homicide,
of his own friend and supporter.

David
dobey

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 12:53 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Who was Mary Jo Kopechne?
dobey

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 12:54 am
@dobey,
Now I remember the women who got killed.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 01:22 am
@dobey,
dobey wrote:
Who was Mary Jo Kopechne?
She was a friend and a political campaign worker for your favorite Kennedy.
He was driving her home one night, when he drove
off the side of a bridge into a lake. His car sunk, fully submerged.
He swam to safety and left Mary Jo in his car.
She was in an air pocket in his car.
He then booked himself into a hotel room, silently,
telling no one of Mary Jo 's desperate plight.
He left her there until the following afternoon.
In the meantime, he was on the fone to his attorneys and to his political advisors, thru the night.
(Driving While Intoxicated is a felony, especially if he kills someone.)

Eventually, after he had plenty of time to metabolize any alcohol that he had in his system,
he informed the police and his car was pulled out, with Mary Jo still in it, in her air pocket,
whose oxygen had been exhausted long before, while she waited for help in the cold water
all those hours while your favorite Kennedy was calling for political advice
from his experts across America.

That is what he did to his friend.
It was pretty close to murder; (his silence).
If he had given the alarm when he swam
to the hotel, and called for help,
then thay coud have rescued her much sooner,
but then the police woud have subjected him
to a test for alcohol (Driving While Intoxicated).
He woud have been subject to a prison sentence
and it woud not have looked good for his Presidential campaign.