The Kennedys

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 03:07 am
Brian Williams posted this on his Facebook page today. My heart hurts for Maria and the family. She has lost many close family members in the last couple of years.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/brian-williams/nearing-the-end-of-a-great-american-life/496273368777

Quote:
by Brian Williams on Monday, January 17, 2011 at 3:18pm

If news reports and e-mails from friends are correct, Sargent Shriver may be nearing the end of his life. While these past few years have been spent in the grips of dementia, his life is a perfect mirror of his times and his circumstance. He became a Kennedy by marriage, and a public servant by reflex. The jobs he performed under various presidents made life better for countless Americans, and improved American relations overseas.

I'm linking above to a telephone conversation. History buffs will find it fascinating, as will anyone who thinks THEY have been talked into something. Shriver was Director of the Peace Corps in 1964, when President Johnson decided he should also run the Government's war on poverty. When Shriver answers the phone, he doesn't stand a chance against LBJ's bulldozer. It just takes him several tries, and several minutes, to realize it!

Our thoughts and prayers are with his family. We hope you can join us for tonight's broadcast.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hexsvzAJani_nfxlN6A8OnJZbYDg?docId=745433c60de94ceabeece71984a1e31d

Quote:
R. Sargent Shriver in critical condition in Md.

(AP) – 5 hours ago

BETHESDA, Md. (AP) — Former Peace Corps director and vice-presidential nominee R. Sargent Shriver was in critical condition Monday at a hospital in Maryland, a spokeswoman for the family said.

The 95-year-old was admitted at Suburban Hospital in Bethesda early in the day, the family said in an e-mail statement attributed to spokeswoman Kirsten Seckler.

No other details about his ailment were released and no more information about his condition was available late Monday. Shriver announced in 2003 that he had Alzheimer's disease.

He served as the first Peace Corps director in the administration of his brother-in-law, President John F. Kennedy. He also was Democrat George McGovern's running mate in 1972.

Shriver's wife and Special Olympics Founder Eunice Kennedy Shriver died in 2009 at age 88.

He is also the father of former NBC reporter Maria Shriver, who is married to former California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

The handsome Shriver is often known first as an in-law. But his achievements are historic in their own right and changed millions of lives: the Peace Corps' first director and the leader of President Lyndon Johnson's "War on Poverty," out of which came such programs as Head Start and Legal Services.

Within the family, he was sometimes relied upon for the hardest tasks. When Jacqueline Kennedy needed the funeral arranged for her assassinated husband, she asked Shriver.

Shriver had fought for integration in Chicago and helped persuade Kennedy to make a crucial decision in the 1960 campaign despite other staffers' fears of a white backlash: When the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. was jailed in Georgia that fall, Kennedy phoned King's wife and offered support. His gesture was deeply appreciated by King's family and brought the candidate crucial support.

Soon after taking office, President Kennedy named Shriver to fulfill a campaign promise to start the Peace Corps. Although it was belittled by some as a "kiddie corps," Shriver quickly built the agency into an international institution.

In 1994, Shriver received the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation's highest civilian honor, from President Bill Clinton.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 04:55 am
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:
Sargent Shriver may be nearing the end of his life.
While these past few years have been spent in the grips of dementia,
his life is a perfect mirror of his times and his circumstance.
He became a Kennedy by marriage,
In all these years,
he never made lieutenant.
0 Replies

dobey

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 08:52 am
@OmSigDAVID,
But thats my point. He did do wrong things, really wrong things but tried to make up for it - in the end. Where did you get such detailed info about it from? In all the books and research Ive done, Ive never been able to get an account like that.
dobey

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 09:07 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Read your profile. Just out of interest what is the 16th and 18th amendment that your not sure about. i live in Australia so things are quite different here.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 02:24 pm
@dobey,
dobey wrote:
But thats my point. He did do wrong things, really wrong things
but tried to make up for it - in the end.
NOT that I know of; maybe u know more of it than I do.
Well, he did buy off her family to avoid civil or criminal prosecution.
It is a bad family, full of dope addicts, rapists, alcoholics, liberals and murderers.

dobey wrote:
Where did you get such detailed info about it from?
In all the books and research Ive done,
Ive never been able to get an account like that.
I was watching TV, when the news bulletin was broadcast.
I also made a point of closely following it in the newspapers.

I was very relieved and hopeful that this woud kill his Presidential career.
I had feared that he 'd mangle and subvert American freedom
and that he 'd be helpful to the commies, to our detriment.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 02:28 pm
@dobey,
dobey wrote:
Read your profile. Just out of interest what is the 16th and 18th amendment
that your not sure about. i live in Australia so things are quite different here.
The 16th Amendment authorized income taxation.
The 18th was repealed by the 21st; it had authorized the Prohibition of alcohol.
dobey

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 07:07 am
@Butrflynet,
My prayers are with them.he is a great man.
dobey

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 07:10 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Thanks David. it is fascanating (Im sure i haven't spelt that right) talking to you
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 07:25 am
@dobey,
dobey wrote:
My prayers are with them.he is a great man.
With the 16,th 18th and 21st Amendments ??
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 07:27 am
@dobey,
dobey wrote:
Thanks David. it is fascanating (Im sure i haven't spelt that right) talking to you
OK, happy Australia!

David
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 07:32 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
It is a bad family, full of dope addicts, rapists, alcoholics, liberals and murderers.

Really David, this is offensive. It's sort of like saying "The Taliban is bad because they stone people, throw acid at women, blow up innocent people and are conservative."
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 09:45 am
@Green Witch,
Quote:
Green Witch wrote:
Really David, this is offensive. It's sort of like saying
"The Taliban is bad because they stone people,
throw acid at women, blow up innocent people and are conservative."
All of those attributes are TRUE, GW.
The Taliban has done all of those things
and it is very conservative, in that it does not vary from its Moslem filsosfy.
The Taliban is full of conservative Moslems.
(If thay took a loose view of that filosofy, then thay 'd be liberal Moslems.)

David

P.S.:
I was expecting to be challenged
as to the attributes of the Kennedys
that I set forth. I was ready to try to show
that thay had actually DONE what I claimed
(e.g., the Kennedy that used a golf club to pound
a teenage girl to death, the televised rape trial, etc., etc.) but I have not been challenged yet.

David
Green Witch

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 10:56 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Speaking of golf - you'll have to give me a mulligan on this one, David. I didn't express my thought very well. Not so much on the Kennedy's, but on throwing the word liberal into your list of sins. Back when the phone stops...
JTT

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 12:27 pm
@Green Witch,
The US is bad because they napalm people, saturate bomb villages, towns and cities, support those who throw acid at women, train proxies to rape, torture and murder innocent people, blow up millions of innocent people and are pretty damn conservative.

Have we missed anything, GW?
Green Witch

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 12:59 pm
@JTT,
My point is these crimes don't have anything to do with being liberal or conservative. Committing atrocities should not be lumped in with these political terms. Any group of people are capable of evil acts given the right circumstances and motives. As the old saying goes - "he who is without sin should cast the first stone".
JTT

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 01:04 pm
@Green Witch,
Quote:
As the old saying goes - "he who is without sin should cast the first stone".

As the newer saying goes, "If you commit war crimes, you should be held accountable and citizens should not make excuses for their country or their leaders" by throwing out misplaced aphorisms.
Green Witch

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 01:07 pm
@JTT,
So who do you like, JTT? Who in the world do you admire and find agreement with? We are debating the good and bad of the Kennedys here, but who do you personally look at and think of as (a) roll model(s) for the world?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 01:10 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:
Speaking of golf - you'll have to give me a mulligan on this one, David.
I didn't express my thought very well. Not so much on the Kennedy's,
but on throwing the word liberal into your list of sins.
Back when the phone stops...
Thank u for bringing it up.
That gives me the opportunity to express something
that I might not have said before, to wit:
The reason that I resent liberalism in America
is that I dearly LOVE the philosophical foundation
upon which this Republic was built, which was Individualism,
personal liberty and hedonism, in support of laissez faire free enterprize.
Those attributes = living in a FREE COUNTRY.

Substantially after the Founding in the 1700s,
during and after the Depression of the 1930s,
that spirit of Individualism and personal freedom
was undermined by a deviation therefrom
which exalted community and authoritarism
in support of collectivism, displacing the earlier freedom.
Collectivism is the antithesis of Individual liberty.

Accordingly, I feel cheated by that deviation,
and my resentment for degradation of that liberty
was expressed against illegitimate deviation = liberalism, in this thread.

Roosevelt and the Kennedys were among the leaders of the deviation
from the original laissez faire personal freedom,
against which I fought.

In that spirit, I campaigned hard for Richard Nixon in 1960,
trying to fight back as well as possible
against that anti-freedom deviation.

The rightful and proper foundation of America
is the freedom of laissez faire free enterprize.
I resent deviations therefrom.
Thay are unAmerican.
Those deviations cheat the citizens
out of their rightful personal freedom.

"From every mountainside, let Freedom ring."

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 01:20 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:
My point is these crimes don't have anything to do with being liberal or conservative. Committing atrocities should not be lumped in with these political terms. Any group of people are capable of evil acts given the right circumstances and motives. As the old saying goes - "he who is without sin should cast the first stone".
With all respect, I disagree, GW.
It is not an idle, random co-incidence that the Taliban
committed the atrocities that u mentioned.
Thay did it BECAUSE thay are conservative Moslems.
Those atrocities were the manifestation
of that Moslem filosofy.

If Atta and his followers had not been Moslems,
then thay woud not have hijacked those planes on 9/11/1.
THAT was the ONLY reason that thay did it.
That 's all there was and there was no more.

David
djjd62

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 01:30 pm
I remember it was the summer I went to camp,
I heard about this lady, named Selma, and some blacks
And somebody stuck their fingers in the presidents ear
And it wasn't too much later they came out with Johnson's wax
I remember the book depository
Where the crowned the King of Cuba

from Purple Toupee by They Might Be Giants
0 Replies