Buddhism and war

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 06:48 pm
I can live with that. A phrase doesn't attain the label "clichè" unless it is so true that everyone's heard it a million times. :wink:
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 06:54 pm
Whenever a person justifies killing by saying that it is god's will, whatever religion that person holds to contributes to bloodshed.

At least, that was my thought when posting.

Your question leads me to consider what would happen if the religion explicitly,consistently and completely forbid killing under any circumstance.

Would the man not kill?
Far more likely is that he'd find another way to justify it, a consideration that lends considerable weight to your argument. Smile

Edit: I think I'd like to modify my statement. There is always the consideration of how rigidly a man holds to his religion, and more importantly his conscience. This post was written with those in mind whose religious practice is limited to a visit to church on sunday, and who fill the weeks in between with all manner of filth.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 11:08 am
"First you gotta pin down what's wrong with the West. Distrust of human nature, which means distrust of Nature. Distrust of wildness in oneself literally means distrust of Wilderness." --Gary Snyder
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 04:32 pm
I see his point but I'm not convinced human nature encompasses all of nature. I also think he kind'a polarizes the "west" to the exemption of such things as the environmental movement.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 05:30 am
Cyracuz wrote:
If we were to disregard every philosophy and religion that has ever contributed to bloodshed there would be none left.

i'm chiming in really late, but how about Jainism?

(and thanks to Asherman for directing me to this forum. previously, i thought it was limited to discussions of monotheistic faiths)
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 05:34 am
I cannot say. Don't know much about it.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 05:49 am
there's an interesting, but disputed, discussion of Jainism vs. Buddhism in wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jainism_and_Buddhism
0 Replies

gnovos

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 09:20 pm
@mesquite,
"I'm not afraid of death"

... but you are afraid of dishonor, no? Why not just let the invaders in to burn your crops and rape your women? Jesus would allow that, my friend. What are you supposed to do when your neighbor steals your cloak from you? According to the head honcho of all Christianity, you should hand him your shirt as well. Are you 100% sure you're a Christian?
0 Replies