The Siege of Catholocism: Righteous or not?

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 01:01 pm
For the past few years now there has been a growing movement in Italy by a group of atheists to sue the Catholic Church for the murders of several dozen people centuries ago, along with purposely lying to early Christians to simply "Get their money". Now I'm an agnostic, I don't really believe in God or what have you, and I do naturally recognize the horrible deeds the Catholic Church used to commit upon Muslims Jews and masses of Christians who were rebellious toward's the Church's authority. But I don't really see how you can justify suing an institution for crimes it commited five hundred years ago, when it is in no way the same institution as it was then, and since John Paul II publically apologized, for the first time in history for a pope, to the people of the world FOR the crimes of Catholocism. I just think this is just another classic case of ambulence chasing by radicalist atheists attempting to destroy religion? Share your opinion, and please don't be offended if you're an atheist who supports this movement.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 830 • Replies: 6
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 01:20 pm
well I am a radical atheist and I would like to sue the bastards to the hilt, unfortunately I am also a anarchist who doesn't believe in the judicial system.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 01:29 pm
I'm an agnostic.

I think "suing" has gotten out of hand in this country -- and I can tell you it is of no consolation that apparently it has gotten out of hand elsewhere.

These folks are way off base.

I SUSPECT their motives are to try to break the church by breaking its bank accounts.

If they had any real balls, they'd try to do it the old fashioned way -- by showing the superiority of their position -- IF THEY CAN.
0 Replies

KnightOfTheNile

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 01:33 pm
I completely agree. Suing has most definitely gotten out of hand, AND I think the Italian Atheists are making a fatal mistake in suing Catholocism, literally. They don't seem to take into accoutn the fact that Catholocism funds a whole slew of charity organizations that help the poor in Africa, yata yata, what have you. So if you destroy the Catholic Church you're virtually killing entire masses of people out there who are hanging on to life because of Catholocism. If they think there is no God, that's all well and good, I dont' really either, though I'm not completely sure, but even if I was, I wouldn't attack those who did at every possible chance.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 02:37 pm
I am a Semi-Buddhist, and I think there should be a time limit on lawsuits. Because, time heals all wounds.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 03:13 pm
Let's hope they don't decide to sue God. If they do he may decide man was a mistake from the start and--- Boom! Embarrassed Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 03:19 pm
That happened on an episode of Ally McBeal once....I didn't see it, but I remember my sister talking about it.
0 Replies