Would a Kindle be a good study aid?

boomerang

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 05:36 pm
@ehBeth,
Wow! Thank you! I'm going to look into that!!!
ehBeth

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 05:50 pm
@boomerang,
there is a link to your state connection at the Library of Congress link

the main source for the books seems to be

http://search.overdrive.com/
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 06:07 pm
Thanks for that info. I see ok myself now, but I was in a fair panic state for a few years recently. I'm glad to read this for the sake of people who are still facing tough visual problems.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 06:09 pm
@ossobuco,
The Library of Congress is quite an amazing resource.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 06:11 pm
@ehBeth,
Yes, it is. I'm going to put the general link on my toolbar under Ref.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 06:38 pm
tbabs.org is the state site

the autumn 2010 newsletter

http://tbabs.org/OSL/TBABS/publications/fall_2010.shtml

mebbe Mo wants to listen to Popular Science or Rolling Stone? or perhaps listen while looking at a hard copy?
ehBeth

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 07:04 pm
@ehBeth,
new children's non-fiction in Sept/Oct 2010 through Library of Congress

http://www.loc.gov/nls/tbt/2010/9sept-oct.html#childrenNonfiction

includes:

Quote:
We Are the Ship: The Story of Negro League Baseball DB/RC 66426
1 hour 53 minutes
by Kadir Nelson
read by Chuck Young
Presents the history of Negro League baseball from its beginnings in the 1920s through its decline after Jackie Robinson moved to the major leagues in 1947 and broke the racial barrier. Discusses gifted athletes, discrimination, and the players’ passion for the sport. For grades 3-6 and older readers. Coretta Scott King Award. 2008.

Quote:
We Dare You! Hundreds of Fun Science Bets, Challenges, and Experiments You Can Do at Home DB/RC 67897
9 hours 16 minutes
by Vicki Cobb and Kathy Darling
read by Carol Dines
Author of Bet You Can’t! (RC 19715) provides clear instructions for numerous experiments using household supplies. Explains the scientific principles underlying each project. Recommends some adult supervision. For grades 3-6. 2008.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 01:02 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
mebbe Mo wants to listen to Popular Science or Rolling Stone? or perhaps listen while looking at a hard copy ?
Bless you dear lady.

I've been hiding in shame and fear of mockery. My learning was best done in the combination form. Early it was having the book being read while I held the pages front in of me. Later, I read things aloud and recorded them, then read them again while the tape played. I still read aloud when having difficulty grasping the subject.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 01:11 pm
Yes, I think for Mo just listening wouldn't get him far. Listening and a hard copy would be ideal.

I'm not sure that he would understand those periodicals but there are probably ones he would!
Irishk

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 01:21 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:
I don't know the answer to the real question here, but it's an interesting thought. I would suggest before buying Kindle that you check out other devices like the Nook. My local library offers many Nook downloads, especially for young adults, but not for Kindle. In general Kindle seems totally tied into Amazon where other devices are not.

I got the Nook Color for Christmas! I'm still figuring out all that it does, but so far I'm liking it a lot!

boomerang: There's a feature on the B&N website called NookStudy...haven't had time to explore it yet, but it might be what you're looking for. Any of the eReaders, I think, would be helpful as a study aid, IMO.
boomerang

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 05:30 pm
@Irishk,
That Nook thing is cool!

It does, however, appear to only work with textbooks purchased from their site. (I could be wrong though.) Mo's only in the 4th grade so it would be a while before that really applied.... and who knows what the heck kind of technology they'll have by then!

My mom and my book sharing neighbor really want me to get the Kindle so we can swap stuff like we always have in the past. I told my mom I was thinking about getting one and she went off on a rave about it. I'm not very good at spending that kind of money on myself so I'm trying to justify it.
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 05:38 pm
@boomerang,
If you go the Kindle route, here are some details on what is required to download audio books onto them:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200127500

And here's a response in their Askville/Amazon forum that gives a link for their audible.com site for compatible books:

http://askville.amazon.com/download-audio-books-kindle/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=7636006

This review of the audible Kindle includes a section on Audible Kids books for the Kindle:

http://ireaderreview.com/2008/11/22/audio-books-the-kindle/

Quote:
AudibleKids

Audible has a site geared at helping parents get kids interested in reading. Its a well designed site and includes a rudimentary social network for the kids and some free audio books too. You can search for books by category, or your kids’ ages or even their grade. They have reviews and ratings and you can search by various criteria. A very well done site overall.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 05:51 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
only in the 4th grade so it would be a while before that really applied.... and who knows what the heck kind of technology they'll have by then!

given how quickly the technology is changing, I think it's probably a good idea to see how far you can get with the free options available right now

one of the sites that provided equipment and cd's shut down at the end of December as most of their materials are now available for download - an inexpensive mp3 player (free through some of the state/federal programs) will handle the downloads already

I can't even imagine where this will stand in another year or two
boomerang

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 06:20 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thanks! I'll check those out!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 06:24 pm
@ehBeth,
We have an iPod so we've got that covered. Ours only has a tiny screen though so he couldn't read along.

I too can't even imagine what might be available in the near future.

My neighbor's first Kindle is now a paper weight. I think she's on her third generation now.

My mom said she just clicks on the book she wants on the Amazon site and it shows up on her Kindle in just a few minutes, without having to plug anything into anything. That sounds pretty wonderful to me since the nearest bookstore is at the mall and I absolutely hate going to the mall.
Irishk

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 09:34 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
I too can't even imagine what might be available in the near future.

It's exciting! I saw this story the other day and had to read it twice. More than a billion pages on one tiny microchip??? Mind-boggling.

Quote:
“We have created magnetic nanodots that store one bit of information on each nanodot, allowing us to store over one billion pages of information in a chip that is one square inch,” says Dr. Jay Narayan, the John C. Fan Distinguished Chair Professor of Materials Science and Engineering at NC State and author of the research.

The breakthrough is that these nanodots are made of single, defect-free crystals, creating magnetic sensors that are integrated directly into a silicon electronic chip. These nanodots, which can be made uniformly as small as six nanometers in diameter, are all precisely oriented in the same way—allowing programmers to reliably read and write data to the chips.

In the meantime, I put two 2-hour movies and the HD trailer from Tron on my Nook and still have 80% free space! It's like a mini-iPad lol.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 12:40 pm
NYTimes article today on IPad as a learning tool -
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/05/education/05tablets.html?_r=1&hp
Irishk

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 01:10 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
More practically, he said, it also takes away students’ excuses for not doing their work.

I guess "The dog ate my iPad!" won't be a viable argument lol.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 01:23 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
Yes, I think for Mo just listening wouldn't get him far. Listening and a hard copy would be ideal.

I'm not sure that he would understand those periodicals but there are probably ones he would!
Woud Mo like Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach ?

David
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 02:02 pm
Mr. B is all the sudden all into this iPad thing. I don't care to have one, really. Kindles are supposed to be much, much easier to read from.

I wanted the Kindle for myself, mostly to avoid filling my house back up with books, and thought that maybe an added benefit might be that Mo could use it to help him with his reading.

David, I don't think that one is up Mo's all at all yet. He likes war stories, science books, and zombies. Not necessarily in that order.