There must be a plot to bring back the conspiracy theory

Fri 19 Dec, 2003 08:31 am
I know there was some discussion about Saddam being hidden away until the appropriate time on another thread, but I couldn't find it. So, I am starting a new thread about conspiracy theories.

Article that caught my eye.

The last time conspiracy theories flourished in respectable circles in America probably was the 1960s and early 1970s.
In those overwrought days, it seemed like everyone nurtured a crackpot theory about the dark forces (the Mafia, the Cubans, right-wing Texas industrialists) that had ordered the Kennedy assassination. But for all the lunacy inspired by the grassy knoll, this was also an era when the U.S. government covertly destabilized Salvador Allende's regime in Chile and a sitting president covered up the burglary of the rival party's headquarters.

Judging from the tone of the current political debate, this conspiratorial mind-set has returned.

Consider a news release issued by the Republican National Committee highlighting remarks that commentator Mort Kondracke made Tuesday on Fox News. Kondracke said former secretary of State Madeleine Albright had just speculated to him in the Fox makeup room that George W. Bush might be hiding Osama bin Laden in order to dramatically unveil the terrorist right before the election.

For Republicans, this was potent evidence that Democrats had lost their rational moorings on the subject of Bush and terrorism. But since Albright issued a statement saying she had been joking, Democrats could easily concoct a conspiracy theory of their own. This curious incident could illustrate the transmission belt from conservative commentary on Fox News directly to the Republican National Committee.

Democrats have made some strange charges in recent days. Rep. Jim McDermott of Washington advanced the wacky notion that American forces had delayed capturing Saddam Hussein to wait for the optimum moment to boost Bush's approval ratings. And Howard Dean, forgetting again the dictum about loose lips, mentioned in an interview with National Public Radio's Diane Rehm that there was an unproven theory Bush had been warned by the Saudis before the Sept. 11 attacks.

Conservatives nurture conspiracy theories of their own. The right-wing press ballyhooed a story in the Sunday Telegraph of London claiming that captured Iraqi documents proved Sept. 11 hijacker Mohamed Atta had visited Baghdad months before the attacks. This would vindicate the Bush administration's assertions of a longtime connection between Saddam and al-Qaeda. But Newsweek has posted an online story convincingly arguing that the documents cited by the British newspaper were almost certainly forgeries.

After the horrors of 9/11, it was tempting to assume that the terrorist threat would have lessened the divisions in the nation. Instead, political polarization, which had already reached dangerous levels during the Bill Clinton impeachment saga, has only grown worse. The level of distrust has mushroomed to the point where Democrats and Republicans no longer debate rival policy nostrums, but angrily advance conflicting views of the world.

The war in Iraq is, of course, the most dramatic fault line. Supporters of military action to oust Saddam almost certainly agreed with Bush when he argued in an ABC interview this week with Diane Sawyer, "There is no doubt that Saddam Hussein was a dangerous person. And there's no doubt we had a body of evidence proving that. And there is no doubt that the president must act, after 9/11, to make America a more secure country."

But war critics were prone to jump on Bush's refusal in the interview to deal with the failure of the occupation forces to locate Saddam's purported arsenal of weapons of mass destruction. Pressed on this point by Sawyer, the president kept repeating his mantra: "Saddam was a threat, and the fact that he is gone means America is a safer country."

Dean's rise and the potency of the anti-war vote in the Democratic Party suggest that the invasion of Iraq will be the central issue in the 2004 presidential race, unless a hawkish candidate such as Richard Gephardt or Joe Lieberman is nominated to oppose Bush. The tenor of the Democratic opposition was suggested by Wesley Clark's bitter comments Thursday in a conference call with reporters: "Instead of capturing bin Laden and destroying the al-Qaeda network, President Bush took us to war in Iraq, monopolizing our time, energy and resources."

It is not in Bush's nature, and certainly not the style of the administration, to admit error. As a result, the president has never spoken candidly about the mismatch between the administration's ominous statements about Saddam's capabilities before the invasion and the postwar appearance of his far more limited military prowess.

The mystery that shrouds the battle against terrorism would probably have given rise to conspiracy theories even without the war in Iraq. But the combination of a war justified by questionable premises, political polarization and governmental secrecy seems on pace to deliver what might be dubbed "The Conspiracy-Theory Election of 2004."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,612 • Replies: 14
Topic Closed
No top replies

McGentrix

Fri 19 Dec, 2003 10:32 am
Another good, interesting story...
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Fri 19 Dec, 2003 10:46 am
Boy, McG, you really got the bug!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Fri 19 Dec, 2003 10:49 am
Just wait until Hillary opens up about it! :wink:
0 Replies

Brand X

Fri 19 Dec, 2003 10:50 am
McG! Laughing
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Fri 19 Dec, 2003 12:24 pm
McGentrix, you ought to go over to Abuzz and talk to DominicJohn if you want dingbat conspiracy theories.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Fri 19 Dec, 2003 12:45 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
McGentrix, you ought to go over to Abuzz and talk to DominicJohn if you want dingbat conspiracy theories.

dj and I are going through one of those "things" right now, so this comment really hit home with me.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Fri 19 Dec, 2003 12:49 pm
Eh, I logged on Abuzz once, didn't like it.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Fri 19 Dec, 2003 01:37 pm
It used to be very much like A2K. Now, except for oldtimers, it is an acquired taste.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Mon 22 Dec, 2003 01:28 pm
I was reading another post today and it made me create my own, personal conspiracy theory...

What if, in exchange for not being detained, OBL made a deal with the Clinton administration not to attack the mainland US during his presidency, but to wait until the next presidency...

I think that has as much worth as those other ones going around about Bush waiting until an opportune time to drag out Saddam...
0 Replies

McGentrix

Tue 23 Dec, 2003 09:18 am
Interesting site about our administration....

You Liberals will love this place!!
0 Replies

Fedral

Tue 23 Dec, 2003 09:33 am
Hmmmm McG,
Didn't see anywhere on that list about CNN's failing to report on known Iraqi mass murders, tortures and other human rights violation because they were afraid to 'lose access' to the country.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Tue 23 Dec, 2003 09:38 am
Like I said, the liberals will love it.
0 Replies

nimh

Tue 23 Dec, 2003 06:10 pm
Interesting articles, McG
0 Replies

McGentrix

Wed 24 Dec, 2003 07:10 am
Just keeping with the theme of the thread! Cool