Hoarding? What do you think?

JD3P

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 10:56 pm
I'm pretty sure I have a problem with hoarding...except I'm not a typical hoarder. I am completely organized, down to the simplest of things. Not to place blame but growing up I always kept my things in good condition because I knew I couldn't afford another. Also my parents never really wanted me to trash anything even if it was trash. So for the most part up until about a year ago I had virtually all my childhood possession leading up to present day. After seeing that hoarding show on A&E I have to admit it scared me lol, and I realized my ocd was also playing a part in me keeping the things I had. I do not want to end up like that and I kinda felt like at some point I might get that bad. So I pretty much did a very difficult thing and had to detach myself from nearly an entire room filled with useless items. (I know sounds like it should be easy.) Since letting them go I haven't missed any of them, and I knew at the time I would feel that way in the future, but in the moment it's obviously hard to let go.

Right now I still have a decent amount of things I haven't let go of. I wasn't able to get any help through family or friends throughout the process. I had to sit by myself and deal with each overwhelming item and deal with my parents being unhappy about the whole process. I still feel like I am carrying around baggage I should have let go of, but I was just wondering what some of you all thought about the things I have kept even after my huge cleaning a year ago.

I currently have: ALL of my halloween costumes, school uniforms, knick-knacks, barbie dolls, and random little toys I had growing up. This is equal to about six bins (of average size) plus a huge bin with toys. My parents refuse to let me give away my barbies lol, or the van. I would really like to get rid of all these things, but I'm not really sure where I can donate uniforms to or halloween costumes. I would have a garage sale but I don't see the point. I'm not trying to make money from this, I'd rather find reputable places to donate.

So if anyone can give me some ideas of places to donate that would be great. I was also curious how many of you are in my situation and what you've done about it or are doing/ plan to do? And does it seem like I'm holding onto a ridiculous amount?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,853 • Replies: 2
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 05:21 am
Well - American Pickers and Antiques Roadshow celebrate this kind of "collecting" - while Hoarders and Clean House call it dysfunctional.

I feel that if the bins are preventing you from moving around, then they are a problem, since they sound like quality items. Perhaps getting a collectibles appraiser over to tell you what you have would be in order.

I think the REAL issue is with you and your parents and you getting some kind of authority over your own life. If they don't want you to part with it all and seem to want all this stuff, then give it to them to store and enjoy.

Do what you have to do to make your life comfortable.

0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 05:24 am
@JD3P,
Hi JD3P

how old are you? I assume you still live at home with your parents? Your house must be massive if you have space for all that stuff.

Sounds like your folks are the obstacle to you having a good clear out.

If it's appropriate, ask them not to interfere and take control of all that clutter. Be ruthless and get rid! You will feel better afterwards.

I don't know who said it but I keep in mind, "Don't keep anything that is not useful or beautiful". If that doesn't apply, then if you have not used something for a year or more, bin it or give it away.
0 Replies