God's Paradox

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 06:46 pm
It's impossible to get some people to debate in a civil fashion, but Craven did it...LOL
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 07:00 pm
How about; it is impossible for man to know the mind of God. But he certainly must.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 07:04 pm
If we were created in God's image, I would assume that the image was used figuratively and that we would have the same thinking processes as him.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 07:08 pm
I do hope you got my PM Individual. Embarrassed Aside from limiting tasks to all but God, I will have to accept it for the paradox it is.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 07:11 pm
I did, sorry for the misunderstanding.

And yes, I suppose there is a reason why they call it a paradox.
0 Replies

Amelia

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 06:59 am
Re: God's Paradox
Individual wrote:
Assuming that there is a god and that he is the most powerful being in the entire universe, what would happen if you asked him to create an immovable rock?

If he creates the rock, then he won't be able to move it and all of a sudden the most powerful item in the universe has become the rock.

If he can't make the rock, then he is obviously not all-powerful.

If he decides to take no action, then he leaves philosophers to wonder what could possibly be going on in his mind.

What does he do?

First, I have to take the leap to assume there is a god.

However, if I do that in this same world I live, there is only one answer.

God takes no action. Otherwise, why would god accept such pain, suffering and inequality?

To me, the only paradox is why do people choose to believe in such a cruel god.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 07:44 am
Speaking of angels and pinheads....

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16641&highlight=

As for why there is so much suffering in the world, my opinion is that on some level, most people enjoy suffering, otherwise we would not have created the world we did. From the global to the personal, we tend towards putting ourselves in a position of enslavement or suffering, and then chalk it up to "that's how the world works." Well, we started it, not some creepy god.
0 Replies

Amelia

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 12:12 pm
Most people enjoy suffering? Shocked

romance, okay :wink:

lust, okay :wink:

chocolate, okay Smile

but, real suffering? No, even if you do fancy cavs, I just can't accept that Exclamation

...I choose to believe I am not included under "most" then... Cool
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 12:51 pm
I's filosophizin' Amelia. Let me put it in a different way....we'll switch the word "enjoy" for terms like "going to work every day to a boss you hate", "making sacrifices", "constantly falling for the wrong people", "complaining to all your friends about your crappy life", you know, that sort of thing. It seems that some sort of suffering is common to the entire human race. I never said anything about how the degree of suffering changes depending on where you are on the globe. I'm also not saying that it's a bad thing either. Suffering is a learning process, if you choose to accept it as that. Romance and lust....lovely stuff Wink The French call an orgasm 'Le Petit Mort', 'The Little Death', pleasure, pain, suffering, all at once. Just food for thought.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 12:51 pm
I like chocolate too.
0 Replies

Amelia

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 02:47 pm
Embarrassed , cavfancier; I can be so literal...sometimes I think I have dain bramage!

I sure like that petit mort deal - maybe you'll be able to bring me up from my earthbound thoughts Twisted Evil
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 02:52 pm
'Tis okay Amelia, I could use a good dose of common sense. Perhaps we can learn from each other. Wink
0 Replies

PatriUgg

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 04:07 pm
I believe that the rock has free will
and would refuse to become immoveable,
no matter how whiny and impetuous God became.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 04:17 pm
That's funny Pat, thanks. Smile
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 05:59 pm
I would have to agree with cav on that one, why else would people allow suffering? And, why would there ever be masochists or sadists (or sadomasochists) out there?
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 06:02 pm
Pat, that would make it so that god was not the most powerful being. Correct?

Also, in many biblical references, god is referred to as a rock. Could there be any connection between god being referred to as a rock and this age old paradox?
0 Replies

Hel

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 11:43 am
Think of Job's story. God wanted to know if Job would still hold on if he wouldn't be such blessed. I wonder if he really didn't know - thus he isn't not omnipotent - or if He has His reasons a human being isn't able to understand. Well, I think this very individual God really isn't understandable.^^

Well, God has absolute power. Thus, if he would like to share His absolute power with anybody or anything on earth, He could. Consequence: there are two "absolute" powers e.g. no absolute powers but two very strong ones.
But me, I think God doesn't fit into our physic terms like time, space, small, unbeneath. The question is out of place.

Amelia wrote:
God takes no action. Otherwise, why would god accept such pain, suffering and inequality?
So you think God has the same morality than we have? This is really a very humanoid god...

Actually the paradox sounds a little bit like a koan riddle to me. So let's try it like a koan riddle.

God is asked to create an immovable rock, and he does.
Then he is asked to move the immovable rock. And he does.

-- Maybe an illogic question needs an illogic answer.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 12:37 pm
The on-line Catholic encyclopedia covers this kind of thing very thoroughly. I've provided a link below to the appropriate area of the encyclopedia. The section starts with the words:

"Omnipotence is the power of God to effect whatever is not intrinsically impossible."

It is an interesting essay for anyone interested in this issue.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/11251c.htm
0 Replies

QKid

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 10:39 pm
Here is the answer Individual
Well this question does get those who believe in God. But it is only because they have different meanings of God. While God is all powerful and all everything, the answer lies in the Quran. I happen to find it there.

It says, God is absolute. And he created everything but IS NOT COMPARABLE TO ANYTHING IN HIS CREATION.(Chapter 112, Verse 4)

So the question u are asking is irrevelant from the start. You cannot say that God made a rock so big that noone can lift it because you are putting Him in His own creation. If He comes into his creation to try to lift up a rock then He is belittleing Himhelf. So He is not and does not come into His own creation.
0 Replies