The habit of Christmas-

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 06:25 am
Most people have the same reason for throwing up decorations in their houses, getting a Christmas tree and stringing lights round it, buying presents etc- because other people do, and because their parents did it. The whole process of Christmas seems to be largely something we do out of habit, because we’ve done it all our lives, rather than a genuinely meaningful annual event. For most people, Christmas holds little meaning for them, but they do it anyway, because “that’s what we’ve always done”- but what else would such people do?

It just seems amusing and slightly disturbing at the same time. People are living on a strange kind of autopilot, through which they do things not for any meaningful reason, but just because they have always been done every year.
Maybe I’m something of a hypocrite, because me and my family still do the whole Christmas thing every year, and when I move out, I’ll probably be compelled to continue the habit.

However, what meaning does it hold for people who don’t celebrate Christmas for religious reasons?

Yeah there’s the increase in food, booze, and parties etc, but nothing much else-it seems people generally become slightly more hedonistic at Christmas time, and then afterwards go back to their weekly grind of work-weekend-work-weekend.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 892 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 07:32 am
@existential potential,
....and you know this how? Did you take a poll or something? Are you guessing? Do you personally know the majority of the world population? I thought not.
existential potential

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 07:48 am
@Intrepid,
i don't have to take a poll, and i'm not guessing.

i think its rather obvious, Christmas has become something rather empty, and as such people simply "go along" with it, because its something thats been done for a long time.

of course there are people who believe that Christmas is a genuinely important celebration, but there are also those people who have no religious beliefs, but continue to carry out this process every year-why?
George

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 08:23 am
@existential potential,
It's fun, e.p.
It's fun.
Trust me.
0 Replies

dogdog

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 11:16 am
It's fun...sometimes.
But sometimes it gets old.

One positive thing about the habit of Christmas is it reminds me to connect with family. I have three sisters and a father, and we live in five states from coast to coast. Christmas kind of reminds us to remind each other that we care about each other. Kind of pathetic, but true.

Then there's the guilt trip if we don't want to celebrate. It's easier to go with the flow than fight it or make a deal about it. It's an annual reminder for my dad that all of his children left the Catholic church.

Once a year is too often. My wife and I kind of cover for each other. This is a year where she has no desire. Other years we go all out. No tree this year, but we had tree and decorations and the whole bit last year. Some years we only do cards, others we do gifts.

We've gotten to the point where we don't really feel obligated. Work is a little different because I'm surrounded by Christians and they get weird about it and kind of uncomfortable just knowing I'm not Christian. Every year I get a crucifix from someone at work. Give it up, folks.
George

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 12:31 pm
@dogdog,
dogdog wrote:
. . . Then there's the guilt trip if we don't want to celebrate. . .

Yeah, that's a downer.

As much as I enjoy Christmas these days, there have been times when I
would just rather not have bothered. Not only family but also society can
lay the old guilt trip on you. "Not having fun??? How dare you? It's the
Holidays!"

e.p., I guess I just admitted I owe you an apology.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 02:02 pm
@existential potential,
Ever hear of tradition?
Ceili

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 03:14 pm
@Intrepid,
I was thinking the same thing. Traditions can be altered, habits are hard to break.
Intrepid

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 03:57 pm
@Ceili,
Wishing you a very Merry Christmas, Ceili

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/Intrepid2/canada.gif
Ceili

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 03:59 pm
@Intrepid,
And to you as well.. Hope Santa spoils you silly.
0 Replies