Is that a euphemism for ... um... "playing doctor with yourself?" Surprised
Fido

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 06:03 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Ceili wrote:

Like. Ya know. Like. like. like...
Fido wrote:
It is never what it is, and is always like it's like.
I remember that from the Beatniks of the 1950s.
If I remember accurately, thay sought to justify it as a denial of objective reality.

David
too early for me... I was born in fifty three, and didn't start philosophy right off, but with me, it was inevitable... Suffice it to say: That the correspondence of propositions or concepts with existing objects is truth, but a proposition (or concept) is not a -tertium quid- interposed between the symbol and objects; it is the symbols themselves, taken with the intention or psychical set they arouse in the mind... What do you think???...
Fido

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 06:05 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

dyslexia wrote:

"self-actualization"

Is that a euphemism for ... um... "playing doctor with yourself?" Surprised
All the stupid talk we have to deal with is people filling space and time with echoes so they will not have to confront how empty are their thoughts...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 06:32 pm
@edgarblythe,
I once had an apparently not so dastardly to me breast cancer (stage 2, almost ten years ago) but I lived then in a situation in a small town where I didn't want to deal with what I could project would be the How Are You well meant conversations, as that could just take over my days and life, when I was optimistic, which turned out to be smart. So I only told one person, my business partner. I suppose she told a few others in her family, but there was no buzz.

That meant that I was without the succor of community concern (picture me, if I had told, at gallery openings of several hundred people, explaining forever, instead of talking about the artist's work or just enjoying myself) - but I was relatively new in town and had a background of many years with good friends, albeit not in the area; one did travel and stay with me through the more scary surgery. I was able to do this since I didn't lose hair.

Some time around the same time, but somewhat later, we showed the work of a woman painter who went through more advanced stages and painted about it (I might have remarked on it on a2k), as did a former gallery owner partner of mine, many years before, who painted a huge painting about the yew plant before succumbing. I don't know how they would have felt re the question at any given time.

So, my view on this is - use the words 'how are you' if you mean them.
Never mind about heart surgery or cancer, just ordinary stuff.

Things ramify: people might want to tell, and struggle not to; people might need to tell, and are you there to listen?

I suppose though, that there are centuries behind 'how are you?' and 'fine', in many languages.

So we all - or at least in many places - deal with that.
Fido

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 06:52 pm
@ossobuco,
My wife is a postal person, and she admonished me about asking runners coming the other way: How ya doing??? It is because you should not ask a question you do not have the time to hear the answer to... Fair enough... A thumbs up is what I give and expect... You are on your feet, and running... You are not on life support... I am not asking a question so much as saying by my question that I care how they are doing, really, how everyone is doing...

I care... And if I can keep myself from getting too caught up in people's lives I really like to make contact, eye contact if I can, recognize and be recognized... So often I see small children around, and they are so used to not being seen that they are very surprised, or so they seem, when I look at them, and make eye contact.... They look at us... Their eyes are always going from object to object and people to people... They are not shy like we are of looking at each other, and be caught at it... But I look at kids and it as if they suddenly realize they are there too, and I smile at them and have received the most wonderful smiles that perhaps only their parents have seen; but it does not matter who it is...

We all need to be seen, to be recognized as being human, to be told we matter, and that others care... That is why we relate, and why we should make the effort to relate... People respond to me so well, and it seems as though I went through a hundred lonely years just learning to look at people, people who check me out at the store, people at the Y, people jogging... I'm not going to stop, even if my wife does have a good point... As usual...
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 10:42 pm
@Fido,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Ceili wrote:

Like. Ya know. Like. like. like...
Fido wrote:
It is never what it is, and is always like it's like.
I remember that from the Beatniks of the 1950s.
If I remember accurately, thay sought to justify it as a denial of objective reality.

David
Fido wrote:
too early for me... I was born in fifty three, and didn't start philosophy right off, but with me, it was inevitable... Suffice it to say: That the correspondence of propositions or concepts with existing objects is truth, but a proposition (or concept) is not a -tertium quid- interposed between the symbol and objects; it is the symbols themselves, taken with the intention or psychical set they arouse in the mind... What do you think???...
1953 was a good year.
I enjoyed it. Ike became President. Stalin died. It felt good.
I wish that I 'd known that communist imperialism woud be futile.

David
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 12:45 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Iconic . . . i just want to scream when i hear it. This year, i have heard someone's first movie and someone else's first album described as iconic. Hello ? ! ? ! ? Do the people using this word have any ******* clue what it means ? ! ? ! ?

Although we don't have a full context, this definition, below, could certainly describe someone's first movie or album. Do you really know what it means, Set?

Quote:

iconic
very famous and well known, and believed to represent a particular idea

http://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/american/iconic#iconic_3

Quote:
It's been beaten into to meaninglessness . . . and that has been accomplished in the space of only a few years.

Is this the start of another brainless Peeves thread?

0 Replies

ragnel

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 05:06 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Sorry, sweetie, I have no intention of getting into a verbal brawl with you over this.
You've obviously managed to get your neck in a knot over my response to your original post. I have gone back and re-read it a couple of times and I am puzzled that you should.
Quote:
In response Finn wrote:
You seems to have (unintentionally or otherwise) misunderstood the question.

What was the question? Was this it?
Quote:
I wonder what US originated phrases have found new homes in places like Australia and the UK and which are despised by their locals as much as I hate "No worries?"

If so, my answer was - 'Have a nice day!' It has the same effect on me as 'no worries' does on you.
ie -
Quote:
Whenever I hear an American say it, it makes me feel like retching.

(Which is not really the complete and utter truth. Whenever I hear anybody say it, it makes me feel like retching. I just couldn't resist quoting your comment back to you.)

It falls into the same category as your next post where you wrote about 'how are you doing?'.
If it is said with sincerity, fine, but otherwise......

As for the rest of your comments,
I agree, your experiences must have been different from mine.
I had meant to insert a smiley after the word 'petard'.
I did not think I was being clever, I thought you were trying to be funny!

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 09:30 am
Few phrases make me want to lash out at somebody the way 'political correctness' does it.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 02:16 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Have you ever heard of "Latin"?
glitterbag

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 02:21 pm
I hope never to hear again "closure", "giving back"or "my bad".
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 04:04 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
Have you ever heard of "Latin"?
Latin is dead in the sense that there is no place
where it is commonly spoken, as it was in ancient Rome,
not because it does not evolve.

However, the fact that it does not change
gives it a permanent stability.

David
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 07:55 am
"the needy"

Geez, people have needs or can be in need of something, but to describe the poor as "needy" just drives me crazy.

ragnel

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 03:55 am
@PUNKEY,
There is an ad on Oz tv for a new brand of lipstick. Talking about the colours available, the voice-over oozes on about the luscious tonalities.

What's wrong with 'tones'?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 07:56 am
I hate the overuse of the word "diva" as a supposed description of everyone from Whitney Houston to Lady Gaga to every every wannabe socialite/star on the latest reality shows.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 08:09 am
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

"the needy"

Geez, people have needs or can be in need of something, but to describe the poor as "needy" just drives me crazy.

Marx was inclined to agree that as needs are satisfied, wants become needs... We are all needy, and some of us do not even realize what we are missing from our live until the right advertizement tells us...

That's right: I have been missing that corralated battery eating doodad forever and I will no longer deprive myself of it....

In this land, the US A, we have many, and far too many people living in want and need, deprived primarily of opportunity, education, housing, and even a proper diet... The answer is not to give it to them as fast as another can take it away; but to give them informed of its essential nature, their rights because no one is deprived of their share of the commonwealth without being robbed of rights in the same instant... People are not needy because they are poor... The are poor because they are deprived of their rights...
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 08:22 am
Duh. I always wondered where that one came from and I'm glad it went.
Ceili

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 10:43 am
@Sglass,
Homer Simpson
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 01:44 pm
Guesstimate. One can estimate or take a guess.
0 Replies