Eva

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 04:23 pm
A little background...

Six or seven years ago I left the world of P.R. freelancing and began teaching journalism part-time at a private school (middle and high school.) While I love what I'm doing and working with students keeps me up on many of the latest trends, I sometimes wonder what I'm missing by not being out there in the adult working world anymore. I suspect I am falling behind, which bothers me a little. (Not much, but a little.)

I've asked friends, and they remind me that no matter where you are and what you're doing, you miss out on things happening elsewhere. Which is true, I'm sure. But it doesn't help this nagging suspicion that I may no longer be on top of current trends like I once was.

So help me out. What's the latest in your world? Buzzwords, workplace practices, fashions, financial options, you name it. Post it here so all of us can keep up.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 2,251 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Eva

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 04:26 pm
Here's an example. Honestly, I hadn't heard this word used until boomerang posted it.

"According to Merriam Webster ...

Quote:
crowd·sourc·ing
noun \ˈkrau̇d-ˌsȯr-siŋ\
Definition of CROWDSOURCING
: the practice of obtaining needed services, ideas, or content by soliciting contributions from a large group of people and especially from the online community rather than from traditional employees or suppliers
Origin of CROWDSOURCING
2crowd + outsourcing
First Known Use: 2006

Welcome to the 21st century."
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 04:39 pm
@Eva,
I forget words in several fields of endeavor (and reacquaint myself) while interested in new.

Sometimes I like all the new talk while frowning. It's a mixed bag.

Thanks for the thread.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 05:21 pm
I'm just leaving this as a bookmark for right now.

I'm a keen pop culture watcher and it has served me well since I'm now immersed in the middle school milieu. I try to keep on top of things and I'm sure I'll have some things to post.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 05:31 pm
Here's a word I heard for the first time recently:

Alphanista.

It's an Alpha female. Hillary Clinton is an alphanista.
Eva

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 09:31 pm
@boomerang,
Alphanista.

Hmm. Sounds like a combination of alpha and fashionista. I don't know if I like that or not. I'll have to think about it.
roger

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 09:34 pm
@Eva,
Sounds like dog food, too.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 11:13 am
I listen to Spark on the CBC weekly to keep up on tech trend updates.

Quote:
Spark is a Canadian public radio show about technology, culture, and life in the twenty-first century, hosted by Nora Young.

They've had various crowdsourcing topics for ages ... turns out there is one this week

http://www.cbc.ca/spark/episodes/2013/04/26/215-limits-of-crowdsourcing-e-library-letdown-the-story-of-noise-what-modern-noise-annoys-you/

this was a Jan 2013 episode on crowdsourcing safe elections

http://www.cbc.ca/player/Radio/Spark/ID/2354862440/

they're crowdsourcing for questions for an upcoming interview

http://sparkcbc.tumblr.com/post/48854804040/big-data-crowdsourcing-questions-for-viktor
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 12:15 pm
@Eva,
I don't know whether I like it or not either. When I first heard it, it kind of bugged me. But then I remembered the 80s.

Remember business woman fashion from the 80s? It was awful! It was men's suits with skirts and big floppy bows instead of neckties.

It's great that a woman can be powerful and wear great shoes now; that they can be feminine and still be taken seriously.

The word is weird but I like the idea.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2013 08:35 am
What's hot?

Michelle Obama arms!

Quote:
But the society chose to highlight one procedure that is less familiar: the upper arm-lift. In 2012, 15,457 patients, 98% of them women, spent a total of $61 million to have liposuction on their arms, or what's known as a brachioplasty (a surgery that involves making an incision from the armpit to the elbow, usually along the back of the arm, to remove excess skin). The number of procedures was up 4,378% since 2000, when only about 300 women opted for it, the group reported.

In a statement, the ASPS said that doctors didn't point to a single reason for the increase, but took note of poll data indicating that women "are paying closer attention to the arms of female celebrities" including Jennifer Aniston, Demi Moore and Kelly Ripa. The most-admired arms of all? Those of First Lady Michelle Obama.

http://www.latimes.com/news/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-plastic-surgery-trend-arms-20130429,0,106715.story
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Trend Updates
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 05:49:11