Mysterious Squirrel Deaths

Noddy24

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 03:04 pm
Roger--

I considered poison--and tainted bird seed--but the other dozen-odd squirrels are still frolicking in the snow. I'm not an expert, but they certainly don't seem anemic. Their appetites are excellent.

We have a next door neighbor to the north with three dogs, no bird feeders and no hostility to squirrels. Our other neighbors are at least 1/4 mile away on the south and west and a full mile away on the east.

If any squirrels were stricken today, they expired out of sight.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 03:17 pm
I think the Hawk possibility is a non-starter.

On the golf course, we see what Hawks do when they get a squirrel -- and the chances of you finding even a bit of fur are remote if a hawk is involved.

I'm dyin' to find out the answer.
0 Replies

lab rat

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 03:23 pm
Hawks don't always migrate--some of them stick around year-round providing there is enough food. Since there are a lot of squirrels this year, it's not surprising if a hawk in your area hasn't migrated.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 03:28 pm
Eeek! A rat!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 04:08 pm
Frank--

Do your Golf Course Hawks savage their dinner on the ground? Do they gorge on their prey on the ground in heavy traffic areas?

I've seen a hawk trying to carry away a nearly dead squirrel. (Mr. Noddy missed). While the bird obviously wanted the beast, he couldn't get the meat off the ground.

Later the squirrel, now dead, was carried off by a crow who made a picnic on a nearby fallen log.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 04:17 pm
They savage 'em on the ground -- and often are so intent on eating, they will stare down a golfer -- almost defying them to come closer.

Watching a hawk eat anything is not very pretty. The power of their beaks is incredible.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 04:45 pm
Maybe they're just so upset about the new squirrel proof feeder that they are committing squirrel harikari? (or would that be hairykari)?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 05:15 pm
Frank I don't think there are any more squirrels...I think rats have just wised up and are glueing on furry tails........
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 05:21 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Frank I don't think there are any more squirrels...I think rats have just wised up and are glueing on furry tails........
Very Happy
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 05:28 pm
Another reason to hate squirrels (ya gotta read this):

http://cuagain.manilasites.com/stories/storyReader$287
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 05:34 pm
cjhsa wrote:

That is the funniest goddam thing I have ever read!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 05:51 pm
you need to analyze the blood spatter . I believe that a squirrel is being whacked by some yet unnamed perp. If the blood appears to lead to only one side of the little squirrel body (no matter where the squirrel finally dies), this indicates a force has been applied.
Warfarin doesnt act that quickly and most animals would die somewhere else. warfarin pellets can be seen in food its usually dyed green. I dont know why the hell youve got it in your bird feed.
I still go with the high velocity lead poisoning theory.
sWquirrels real good eatin, of course if its poisoned that takes a lot of the flavor out.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 05:52 pm
Say, Noddy, does Mr. Noddy by chance have a 22 long?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 07:40 pm
Setanta wrote:
Say, Noddy, does Mr. Noddy by chance have a 22 long?

That is the question I've wanted to ask -- but have refrained from doing so.

Also, if the blood splatter in both cases were in the same direction, I'd follow its path back to....wherever it seems to lead.

If it is a window in the School Book Depository, a grassy knoll, or a window in the Noddy basement (or a neighbor's basement) -- you may be on to something.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 08:19 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

That is the funniest goddam thing I have ever read!

OMIGAWD! Tears of laughter streaming down my face. Maybe I should find that guy's book.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 08:29 pm
Mr. Noddy does have a 22 long.

The blood trails are now gone, washed away in the rain.

Classic, unsolved, locked room mystery.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 05:29 am
we should round up the usuals. Sleep deprivations and tune up , well get to the bottom.
WAit a minute, its a squirrel.

That biker dude and the attack squirrel article, give pause for considering , what else, evolution.
We are, by these squirrel vehicle interactions, selecting for the shifty meanass squirrels. Now if they start evolving some size , were in deep...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 11:28 am
Bobsmythe can tell about hawks. Perhaps we can entice him to this mystery.

I have an alibi re the squirrel deaths. I was in the parlor with Colonel Mustard. He can vouch for me.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2003 10:35 am
Circumstantial evidence:

Yesterday I saw a flight of five red tail hawks.

Today the local wildlife columnist dealt with rapitors in winter--many Pocono hawks go south and are replaced by Canadian hawks.

Lacking better evidence....

Thanks, all.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2003 11:38 am
good to see youre still on the case noddy. Did you make a Brunswick stew yet?
0 Replies