Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 11:05 am
What did God do during that eternity before he created everything? If God was all that existed back then, what disturbed the eternal equilibrium and compelled him to create? Was he bored? Was he lonely? God is supposed to be perfect. If something is perfect, it is complete--it needs nothing else. We humans engage in activities because we are pursuing that elusive perfection, because there is disequilibrium caused by a difference between what we are and what we want to be. If God is perfect, there can be no disequilibrium. There is nothing he needs, nothing he desires, and nothing he must or will do. A God who is perfect does nothing except exist. A perfect creator God is impossible.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 2,304 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 11:37 am
So, essentially, you're asking what is, from your point of view, a rhetorical question. I'm gonna tag this a bait thread.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 11:43 am
I wouldn't say god is impossible, but he's pretty improbable.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 12:24 pm
You want impossible, talk to my brother-in-law.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 10:04 pm
@Lionel2404,
Quote:
If something is perfect, it is complete--it needs nothing else

May I point out that a seed is perfect, and yet it needs the earth, and it needs the rain, and it needs the air, and it needs the sun, in order for it to become a tree (or any other kind of plant).

Another question I once saw was 'at what stage is the rose perfect', and the answer, of course, was 'at every stage'.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 10:08 pm
@Lionel2404,
The most rational assumption to be had is that God and the universe we observe are both eternal, and that the creation stories you read in ancient literature refer to the creation of our own local environment and living world, and not to the universe at large.

In any rational scheme of things, intelligence has to arise FIRST and create biology; trying to turn that proposition around is called evolution, which has been massively and overwhelmingly disproved over the last century, and which nobody with anything resembling brains or talent is any longer trying to defend.
HFgulliver

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 07:09 pm
@gungasnake,
so in your opinion why is evolution so incorrect because, unless i am very much mistaken, it is the popular belief in regards to the change in life and creation of the vast biodiversity that populates our world.
vikorr

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 05:24 am
@HFgulliver,
I would hazard a guess that gungasnake was being facetious in the extreme
Setanta

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 05:35 am
@vikorr,
Your guess would be wrong, then. Gunga Dim alleges that evolution could not possibly have taken place.
vikorr

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 02:32 am
@Setanta,
Obviously I don't follow threads closely enough Smile

I wonder what Gunga's take on dogs and australian animals is then...
dogdog

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 12:24 pm
The problem with such discussions about God is that they too often assume a Biblical god. The story says God made man in his own image, but it's really the other way around. People, because of their inability to conceive of something far more complex, made God in man's image. Hence, we have the bearded man in the sky, Merry Christmas and all that...

Now, if we choose NOT to anthropomorphize God I could discuss the question a bit more seriously. For example, does God have will? Does God think or judge or make choices? If not, does it qualify as a god? Did God make the universe or is the universe a manifestation of God? What came first the chicken or the egg? How many chucks could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? Is God a lizard? Sure, my prayers go unanswered, but does anyone or anything hear them? If I light myself on fire will I burn or will I just think I'm burning? Are still reading this? Is this that you're reading real or is it something you dreamed up out of your own mind? Out of God's mind? Am I God writing to you through your own mind and these letters on the screen are simply an illusion, a delusion, or a psychic transfusion? Do you have a life? If there were really a life to get would or you could you get it? I tried to get a life once but it was like sand through my fingers, like whiskey in the jar, like CO2 from a narwhal's blowhole. Do narwhal's have blowholes?
George

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 12:48 pm
@dogdog,
Who put the ram in the rama-lama-dingdong?
Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 01:51 pm
@vikorr,
I have no idea what his take is . . . but i don't wonder about it, given that i consider his views nonsensical. As well wonder what the village drunk thinks about string theory . . .
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 02:06 pm
Is God impossible?

certainly to get along with
0 Replies

dogdog

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 02:15 pm
@George,
Why, God, of course!
George

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 02:40 pm
@dogdog,
Of course!
<slaps forehead>
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 02:47 pm
@Lionel2404,
Aside from the problem that dogdog notes (defining God in terms of human words, concepts and experience) is it not possible that God The Creator is not perfect? There's plenty of evidence to suggest that some of his creations are not.
0 Replies

year2027

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 07:22 pm
@Lionel2404,
God first

thanks Lionel2404

God is no more perfect than thing other

God is new kind

we are flesh but is not

God is more than we ever imagine and less than we could ever imagine and line between both

God is one of a kind until Jesus Christ became like the most high

like we shall be

a god kind

with love and a holy kiss Roy
0 Replies

g day

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 09:29 pm

I just checked his diary, sorry the question is meaningless to god, your idea of perfection isn't his and more importantly you exist in the moment, your conciousness is tied to this moment in time, god doesn't see time the way you do.

God lives in the realm of the infinites - its kinda different from the world of the here and now and finites - immeasurable so. Trying to mix god and human concepts is flawed hopelessly sorry!
vikorr

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 01:15 am
@g day,
Quote:
Trying to mix god and human concepts is flawed hopelessly sorry!
And if you go by the biblical God, then you are not only battling flawed human concepts, but battling flawed biblical concepts.
0 Replies