Have You Checked Out TheA2K Portal?

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 07:00 am
A couple of weeks ago, the unthinkable happened. My husband's CD player died. Now to many of you, this may not seem like a major event. But to my husband, that is a tragedy of major proportions.

Anyhow, he hogged the computer for a good part of yesterday, checking out CD players on the net. He finally found one that seemed to be suitable for an audiophile. He wanted to know if the unit would fit in our cabinet. Problem was, the measurements were in millimeters.

Then I remembered the A2K Portal. I also rembered that there were a bunch of conversion calculators in there. I made a few clicks, put in the numbers, and we had our answer.

Then I spent a little time looking over the portal. I was amazed at the breadth and scope of the sites that are contained there.

I think that the A2K Portal is a very valuable resource, with something in it for everyone. The sites in the portal have been selected as exemplary representatives of the best that there is on the net.

Have you checked out the portal?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 877 • Replies: 15
No top replies

onyxelle

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 07:14 am
i must admit that I have not, but on a first glance i see an 'abuse' link where maybe the person (the name escapes me now) who was having her 'tell or don't tell' dilema could have found professional answers - though all the advice here was good.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 07:24 am
onyxelle- There are a lot of professional abuse sites, covering many aspects of abuse, in the portal. The portal is chock full of great reference information of many types.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 07:44 am
LOL! I confess I have been so busy ADDING to the thing, that I have only recently begun to check it out.

It is, indeed, full of great content in many areas - I was astounded, since it is so young.

I am gonna spend lots more time exploring it.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 07:48 am
dlowan- Me too! It is really shaping up beautifully.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 08:55 am
When I click on the Portal I get an error that states "Hamster 45635423 reports - Sorry, but this username has already been taken."

I've clicked through the portal before and have one ask - could the shopping sites be noted with a country? I sometimes click on links thinking "Oh, just what I've been looking for!" only to find that, not only is it in foreign currency but a purchase will cost me $$$ for shipping. Not always a deal breaker, but nice to know ahead of time.

Maybe some of them are already noted like this but maybe the shopping links should all look like Croquet Sets - UK, Fuzzy Stuff - NZ, Mud Pies - US
0 Replies

innie

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 10:20 am
I hadn't noticed the Portal before... but now that I look at it, it's pretty cool!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 10:48 am
Sugar wrote:
When I click on the Portal I get an error that states "Hamster 45635423 reports - Sorry, but this username has already been taken."

That means you are getting a 404 error (since the portal was moved).

Do you ahve an offline copy of some old pages (with the old link) that you are clicking on?

Quote:

Maybe some of them are already noted like this but maybe the shopping links should all look like Croquet Sets - UK, Fuzzy Stuff - NZ, Mud Pies - US

Agreed. I've been marking all the ones I know that are regional and if you find any submit that in a review.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 11:38 am
Craven - it's funny - I clicked on the Portal link on this page and the Forums page and got the error. Then I went to the Gallery page then clicked on the Portal link there and that took me to the Portal.

The Portal link on this page and the Forums page, is pointing me towards www.able2know/www/ but the link in Gallery is http://search.able2know

I refreshed, still doing the same thing
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 11:48 am
Sugar,

I just checked and you are using a tenplate whose portal link was not updated. I'd forgotten to do so. Thanks for the heads up.

Edit: Should be fixed now.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 12:34 pm
I tried to add Cabelas.com to the portal and it never showed up.

Is there a way to search the portal?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 12:37 pm
Sure. There's a search box at the top of the page.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 02:53 pm
You know, I thought that was part of the banner ad. I suggest that it be moved down a bit, into the Portal text area, or just above, inside the box.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 02:54 pm
But there's a "search" link right where you are suggesting the search box go.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 03:09 pm
I would suggest moving it to the right of "A selective information and shopping portal". I still say it looks like part of the banner ad.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 03:14 pm
Is it posible that I can list my site in the Portal yet?
0 Replies