Amazing White Chimp

quinn1

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 09:53 pm
Quote:

Pinkie

She's the first ever filmed, perhaps the only one of her kind to ever exist. Her name is Pinkie, and she was rescued when hunters killed her mother. She was only 6 weeks old when her hairless pink body was found. She was first sold as a pet and then later rescued and brought to the Tacugama Chimpanzee Sanctuary, located in the hills of Sierra Leone, Western Africa.

It is here at the sanctuary that she must decide her fate. In order to be accepted into the group, she must first gain the approval of Bruno, the alpha male. If he accepts her, then she'll be welcomed into the troop.

Animal Planet, Dec 20th 8pm (check your local listings)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,892 • Replies: 17
No top replies

littlek

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 09:54 pm
Weird!
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 09:54 pm
http://animal.discovery.com/convergence/whitechimp/pinkie/pinkie.html

http://animal.discovery.com/convergence/whitechimp/pinkie/gallery/pinkie_thumb.jpg
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 09:55 pm
Is this her?
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:IOxq7yVZ2RMC:www.chimfunshi.org.za/images/pinkie.jpg
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 09:57 pm
One blue, one brown eye?
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 09:57 pm
looks like her.

She really is cute, in a funny lookin way. One brown eye, one blue...adorable.

With the recent death of the white (was it a gorilla?) in Spain due to skin cancer--is her lifespan automatically cut short for the same reason?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 10:01 pm
Yeah, I posted before I saw your pic.

I dunno. I wonder if the genetic mutation that gives rise to her coloring could be related to unhealthy genetic makeup. Or, maybe it's just lack of pigmentation for protection from the sun. Either way, you don't see many white chimps/gorillas, must not be very genetically viable.

{I have no idea what I'm talking about}
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 10:02 pm
hahahahaha

I think its generally the pigmentation but, WOW that sounded fantastic k
Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 10:04 pm
{grin}
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 10:07 pm
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:IOxq7yVZ2RMC:www.chimfunshi.org.za/images

I may be mistaken, but isn't that Larry King?
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 10:09 pm
Quote:

Albino gorilla dies in Spain
Barcelona's mascot put to sleep after battle with skin cancer
In a photo from September, the albino gorilla known as Copito de Nieve, or Snowflake, rests on a rock in Barcelona's zoo.
The Associated PressBARCELONA, Spain, Nov. 24, 2003 - Snowflake, an extremely rare albino gorilla and the most popular resident of Barcelona Zoo, died of skin cancer early Monday morning, zoo officials said. Zoo officials put the elderly gorilla to sleep after his health deteriorated in recent days, zoo officials said. Snowflake had been dying of skin cancer since 2001.

advertisement

Snowflake, or Copito de Nieve in Spanish, was taken to the zoo's veterinary department for an autopsy.

"Until the end Copito enjoyed a fantastic quality of life, interacting normally with his children and grandchildren," said the zoo's chief and veterinarian, Jesus Fernandez.

"Lately though, he deteriorated quickly. In the past four or five days we noticed signs of pain and suffering and so decided to practice euthanasia."

The gorilla was thought to be between 38 and 40 years old. The average life span in the wild is 25.

In his 37 years at the Barcelona zoo, he fathered 22 offspring with three different females. None is albino.

Not enough studies have been done to know how many albino gorillas may live in the wild, but they are extremely rare, and Snowflake was the only albino gorilla kept in captivity.

The gorilla's wrinkly white face is on postcards all over the city. He was a main character in a novel and even had memoirs written in his name.

Memorials planned
In September, officials announced his imminent death, and since then Barcelona citizens had flocked to the zoo to say their goodbyes to the often grouchy animal, the city's mascot.

"Copito has been an unforgettable companion for our city and we all feel regret at losing him," Barcelona mayor Joan Clos said. "He's made a great contribution to his species by making the plight of gorillas more known, and the best thing we can do for him now is to continue that work."

The city plans to create an educational space about gorillas at the Barcelona zoo to teach visitors about the dangers facing gorillas in the wild. Officials also plan to establish a scientific archive about Copito's life, and, possibly, erect a statue at the zoo to commemorate him.

A small sample of the gorilla's skin, a DNA sample, and body fluids will be given to scientists, and the gorilla's skeleton may also be preserved for study, said Barcelona town hall official Jordi Portabella
Albino gorilla dies in Spain
Barcelona's mascot put to sleep after battle with skin cancer
In a photo from September, the albino gorilla known as Copito de Nieve, or Snowflake, rests on a rock in Barcelona's zoo.
The Associated PressBARCELONA, Spain, Nov. 24, 2003 - Snowflake, an extremely rare albino gorilla and the most popular resident of Barcelona Zoo, died of skin cancer early Monday morning, zoo officials said. Zoo officials put the elderly gorilla to sleep after his health deteriorated in recent days, zoo officials said. Snowflake had been dying of skin cancer since 2001.

Snowflake, or Copito de Nieve in Spanish, was taken to the zoo's veterinary department for an autopsy.

"Until the end Copito enjoyed a fantastic quality of life, interacting normally with his children and grandchildren," said the zoo's chief and veterinarian, Jesus Fernandez.

"Lately though, he deteriorated quickly. In the past four or five days we noticed signs of pain and suffering and so decided to practice euthanasia."

The gorilla was thought to be between 38 and 40 years old. The average life span in the wild is 25.

In his 37 years at the Barcelona zoo, he fathered 22 offspring with three different females. None is albino.

Not enough studies have been done to know how many albino gorillas may live in the wild, but they are extremely rare, and Snowflake was the only albino gorilla kept in captivity.

The gorilla's wrinkly white face is on postcards all over the city. He was a main character in a novel and even had memoirs written in his name.

Memorials planned
In September, officials announced his imminent death, and since then Barcelona citizens had flocked to the zoo to say their goodbyes to the often grouchy animal, the city's mascot.

"Copito has been an unforgettable companion for our city and we all feel regret at losing him," Barcelona mayor Joan Clos said. "He's made a great contribution to his species by making the plight of gorillas more known, and the best thing we can do for him now is to continue that work."

The city plans to create an educational space about gorillas at the Barcelona zoo to teach visitors about the dangers facing gorillas in the wild. Officials also plan to establish a scientific archive about Copito's life, and, possibly, erect a statue at the zoo to commemorate him.

A small sample of the gorilla's skin, a DNA sample, and body fluids will be given to scientists, and the gorilla's skeleton may also be preserved for study, said Barcelona town hall official Jordi Portabella

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/2078000/2078151.vmedium.jpg
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 10:14 pm
Well, Q, it doesn't really seem like his genetic makeup was weak - he lived a long life.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 10:17 pm
yeah, he lived VERY long and did a whole lot of Prospering stuff. ahem.

So..Pinkie has a good chance I suppose.
You know, as long as no one mistakes her for Larry King at least.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 10:44 pm
heehee. Gus made a good call with that one.
0 Replies

craxy1

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 11:43 pm
did anyone watch it? i know it has been awhile since it came on but i just found this room. i was really fascinated by her. it was really sad that she died.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2003 08:32 am
I missed it, darn
0 Replies

EmailHeidi

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 10:11 pm
I was so taken with and fascinated by Pinkie... I just loved watching her. What a rare and beautiful little creature! I was also so sad to learn her fate at the end of the show. At least we got to see her on film.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 10:32 pm
She might be able to live longer if she lives in regions of higher latitude, other things being equal.
0 Replies