Made up poem needed. Need by 7:30 A.M. Nov. 29th.

lillyrox

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2010 07:14 pm
@roger,
I needed that. I mean, getting it from someone I know doesn't mean as much as when I get that from a stranger, because an online stranger wouldn't care about insulting me, and therefore would say the truth no matter what. So thanks!
Rockhead

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2010 07:22 pm
@lillyrox,
yup.

and they don't come much stranger than roger rat.

congrats.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2010 11:04 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I also argue that you can teach creativity.

And deadlines are real sparkers..
Sure; like you can teach insanity...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2010 11:41 pm
@Eva,
Eva wrote:

Of course you can teach creativity. I do it all the time.

Actually, I don't teach people how to be creative, I just figure out ways to unlock it. Everyone is creative in their own way. Anyone who says they aren't creative is lacking imagination, not creativity. And imagination can be "sparked." (Love that word, Osso.)

Here's an example: At the beginning of each semester, my middle school newspaper kids wonder how on earth they are going to come up with ideas for things to write about. I tell them they are reporters, and reporters are very curious people. They notice things everyone else passes by. And they ask questions about everything. I'll show you. See this white board? Who invented white boards? Whose idea was it to buy white boards for the school instead of blackboards? Where are the extra dry erase markers kept? Why are there eight different colors of markers in our room, but only black and blue in the Math room? How many white boards are there in the whole school? Yes, Shelby? How much did they cost? That's a good question. Yes, Dylan? Where did we buy them? There's another. Tristan? Who cleans them? I've wondered about that myself...good question! Caitlyn, you have one? How long will they last? I'll write that one down, too. Anybody else?

Then I give each of them a steno notebook and a pencil, and I turn them loose on the school grounds for 10 minutes. They are to go out by themselves and write down questions about anything they see. Anything they wonder about. I tell them the person who comes back with the most questions gets a prize.

I usually have about 10-12 students in this class. I typically get a total of about 120 questions, and I compile them into a list. Then I tell them that all these questions are possible article ideas, and they've just come up with 120 ideas in 10 minutes! They are amazed. Then I tell them that anytime they can't think of something to write about, they can use this list or just go take another "Reporter's Walk."

And off they go.....

So why not teach imagination while you are at it... There have always been a great number of low intelligence people at any given time judging from history who do quite well learning a few basic skill... There seems to be a fair number of high intelligence people who struggle with basics... Across the board there are creative people who experience it as a disease... They do not fit because they cannot fit... They see things differently, and they feel differently, and all they share with others is beginning and end...You think you can teach, when in fact, many people are slightly creative already, only needing to accept it and practice it... And if I may say so, there is nothing in your list that would unlock creativity as far as I can see... If you compliment as you do, you reward... Such rewards even if disengenuous have their effect.. Let me make a suggestion: Consider natives... Each one was a microcosm of his culture... Each one had all the basic survival skills and knew their myths... Since much of their magic was sympathetic, the ability to represent gave one power, so art and artistry were everywhere... Unlike us, when presented with problems they would not go at it as we do... They might have a smoke, and nicotine actually speeds up neural activity... Or they might fast, and meditate, or sit in their sweat lodge...Inevitably, they would bring the social mind to bear, because the were democratic, and one person's problem was every person's problem... Creativity as we know it is individual... Not so for me; because what others have done I presume can be improved upon, and it is the very act of looking for a better way that is often the key to the matter... Write me a poem... Produce one from another source... Before I am half way done reading it I am usually off on my own tangent, certain I can say it better...And some time I can; but I am not foolish enough to say the product is my own... We build on the past, and must give credit where credit is due.. We tweak it... Paul tweaked Christianity... Caesar tweaked Roman Government.. Napoleon Tweaked Warfare and the French revolution... It does not matter how creative you are, but no one is any good who gets too many steps ahead of other people... I lose people all the time... I have the key to their paradigm and they do not...What good am I to them if I cannot free them???
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2010 11:47 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Hey, that's some good teachin'.
Stone Wall Thomas Jackson taught some people how to die... To him, discipline and mystery were the key to victory... Other than that, he was a dolt... And I am not say Eva is a dolt... I am saying that creativity cannot be taught, and that to attempt to teach it is torture to those not blessed or cursed with it...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2010 11:52 pm
@lillyrox,
lillyrox wrote:

Since nobody would help me, I did the work during lunch break (it was due 3 periods after lunch) and here it is:
Starry Midnight on the 13th Moon

Dedicated to Neptune,
For letting me use,
Neso - His 13th moon.

A sparkling star, from here a long way
Wishes to see, the light of the day.

Far away, by Neso he does stand
But the number 13 he does not command.

"Oh why is it always me he must choose?"
"Why always in battles should I lose?"

And then it comes, the hard to see truth
It won't be fulfilled, the dream of his youth.

What do you say? Is it good?
Did he ask for a rhyme, or did he ask for a poem???
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2010 11:53 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

See, you can do it. The poem's fine.

Why would you let others write your poems? You could use more attitude!
Sure; attitude is everything; but that is not a poem... If he knew what a good one was I would advise him to steal it...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2010 11:57 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Yes, there is. You are being - if others do the work - a user. This is is dumb for many reasons, including that you cruise and then lose. But also, using people can be a life long very bad trait.
At least he got something on a page, and that gives him an excuse to aim for the trash can... What does it mean??? Is it supposed to be obscure??? Is their some point, some theme, some moral lessons or was the rhyme more important than any unifying idea???
0 Replies

lillyrox

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 12:08 am
Who's he? If you're talking about me, well, I'm a girl thank god.
roger

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 12:15 am
@lillyrox,
With a name like Lilly? Who knew?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 01:22 am
Lilly -- I'm proud of you for doing it yourself. I hope you're proud of your effort, too. The point of the assignment was not to produce a poem, it was to stretch your mind. The process was the important thing. I'd say you succeeded.
roger

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 01:35 am
@Eva,
And furthermore, now she knows she can do it. Next time, she'll have much more confidence. Still at the last minute, but much more confidently.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 04:53 am
@Eva,
Oh I love this and will probably use it to start thinking up more blog ideas (well's been running a lil dry lately). Thanks!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 05:07 am

Hey I've just seen this.

Not that I would have been much help.

How interesting.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 05:52 am
@lillyrox,
lillyrox wrote:

Who's he? If you're talking about me, well, I'm a girl thank god.
who knew.. Usually girls show better sense about their homwork, and because they communicate they learn to express themselves clearly... If, At the end of the poem one must ask: What is she getting at, consider that you have failed... Read some Baudelaire... There was one where he compared his love to a stinking corpse... How did he do it... Well, he just did it by saying this means that... Like Shakespeare's sonnet: Shall I compare thee to a summer's... You do not have to reach across space to find symbols for which people can find no relationship... Let nature work for you... Symbols are everywhere... Pick them up and use them, and forget the rhyme.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 05:55 am
@Eva,
Eva wrote:

Lilly -- I'm proud of you for doing it yourself. I hope you're proud of your effort, too. The point of the assignment was not to produce a poem, it was to stretch your mind. The process was the important thing. I'd say you succeeded.
It is finished... Some day she can say the same of her life; but should there not be some bounty in between??? The great advantage of girls over boys as human beings is the ability to express their feelings rather than acting out... Where is the emotion, the angst, the love, the joy, the despair... It is a mud hole of images... but it's done. Whatever it is..
0 Replies

lillyrox

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 06:50 am
The story's plain ans simple: My teacher wanted to make a magazine. Of course, she had to turn our articles into an assignment and grade us on it. I like poetry, and I hate to brag, but I'm pretty good at poems and who-am-I riddles. I had a 20 line poem about nature (my favorite thing to write poetry about), completed, and it disappeared. I'm not messy, I put it in my notebook when I was writing it over because I didn't have time to finish, and when I turned each and every page individually, it was't there. Don't say I looked in the wrong notebook, I only have one blue spiral one, so it most definently disappeared.
wandeljw

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 09:26 am
@lillyrox,
Your poem is very good. Everybody gets writing blocks, but you can still have confidence that you can produce a good poem on your own.
Fido

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 09:35 am
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

Your poem is very good. Everybody gets writing blocks, but you can still have confidence that you can produce a good poem on your own.
What would you consider a good poem by some recognized poet???
0 Replies