SPUDS

ehBeth

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 02:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

If all you can taste is cheese, why have the potatoes?

they're carriers.

~~~~~~~~~~

I like potatoes sliced thinthinthin - soaked in water with some vinegar in it and then baked til they are puffy/crispy. yummmmmmmmmm

some big chunky sea salt on top of those potato crisps

<sighingly good>
Mame

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 05:11 pm
I like:

scalloped potatoes with cheese

double baked stuffed with all the fixin's

sliced nearly paper thin and fried with garlic salt - yummy

garlic mashed

other than that, pass the rice, please.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 05:16 pm
@ehBeth,
Un huh. And french fries are great carriers for ketsup.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 05:53 pm
@roger,
yup dodger, that pretty much covers it Cool
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 07:11 pm
@ehBeth,
soaked for how long. at what concentration.

and baked at what for when...?

I'm bored and possessed of taters need used up...
ehBeth

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 07:37 pm
@Rockhead,
soaked for at least an hour
I've soaked them overnight to no harm (as long as the taters are completely covered with water)

at least a quarter cup of vinegar to about (mentally eyebally bowl) 6 cups of water

pat them dry
spritz or pat them down with some oil

temp depends on your oven - 375 - 400 F
time again - depends on your oven - 20 - 25 minutes

add herbs or salt

I found a blog that has a description and pix of the basic (without vinegar) process

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3308/4587079740_aff2c3f7a8.jpg

at the concentration I use, there really is no vinegar flavour - it just adds to the tiny bit of puff (they still look like fat home-made tater chips)

http://www.shutterbean.com/baked-potato-chips/

I found a microwave version as well (but I think I'll stick with the oven version for now, since I know it works)

http://ferfood.blogspot.com/2007/03/all-that-and-bag-of-chips.html

I like mine slightly thicker than they talk about on these blogs - I like to actually have some potato between the edges.

still, there's really no way to go wrong with these

farmerman

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 08:01 pm
@ehBeth,
I like to slice red potatoes very thin and then brine them about 0.5 hour. Then patem dry, and SLOWWWLY fry them in bacon fat till crispy. AT the last 3 minutes or so, add some onion slices and about a half teaspoon more bacon fat and continue frying till the onions are beginning to brown. Carefully remove them from the pqn and serve with bacon and eggs for Sunday breakfast.

I also love scalloped potatoes that my lovely wife makes. Hers are only lightly cheesed and creamed up, with a nhint of garlic.

I also like GERMAN potatoe salad . Not the picnic mayonnaise ****.

POT ROAST- Cheap ut of thick cut beef rump, made with a sauce of whole red potatoes and some celeriac, carrots and whole parsnips. SAuce always varies but I use a "base" and just keep adding stuff till it tastes correct. (Ive been known to add sugar or chili catsup to intensify the flavor and its complexity).
Rockhead

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 08:06 pm
@ehBeth,
mebbe.

my oven is the woodstove for now.

gonna experiment a bit...

(and I want some vinegar flavor...)
farmerman

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 08:08 pm
@Rockhead,
make fries and toss vinegar and salt on top. We use this to catch seagulls in LEwes. Seagulls love em
Rockhead

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 08:11 pm
@farmerman,
do you then cook the seagulls.

in vinegar?

I got hooked on vinegar fries in Ocean City.

ate 'em by the bucket...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 08:31 pm
@Rockhead,
I think these baked chips would be fairly easy to do on/in a woodstove - they can be done on a campfire in foil (just not too tightly packed) - to intensify the vinegar flavour - rinse the taters in water (to get the starch off), then soak them in straight vinegar - differently delicious results
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 05:14 am
@farmerman,
FM,
You gotta watch that cholesterol.
farmerman

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 05:17 am
@eurocelticyankee,
I keep it right out there where I can keep n eye on it
eurocelticyankee

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 05:18 am
@farmerman,
Right UP there you mean. Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 05:24 am
The only problem i see with spuds and cholesterol is that it don't come natural with taters . . . you gotta add your own. Personally, i recommend lightly salted butter . . . as much as you can stand . . .
eurocelticyankee

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 05:30 am
@Setanta,
Plus what you fry them in.
I miss my greasy foods.
At the Docs last month, My cholesterol was 7.59.
Way to high, so it's a change of lifestyle for me and like someone who's recently quit smoking, I'm preaching and want everybody else to suffer too. Sad
Setanta

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 05:57 am
Forget it, i ain't playin'.

This evening i believe we will have a mash. I forgot to get carrotses yesterday, so i'll have to go to the greengrocer first. We will use carrotses, turnips (in this case, a lovely big rutebaga i got yesterday), a big sweet potatoe, some cauliflour and plain taters. You want to skin your carrotses and put them in the pot first, as they take the longest to cook, and it doesn't matter if they get really soft, because then they mash better (i think underdone carrotses in the mash is nasty). A couple, two, three big radishes are nice too, and they should go in at the beginning with the carrotses. Then the turnips (rutebaga is nice--good color and flavor, but plain old white turnips give a kind of spicy flavor, which is also why one might use radishes), followed by the sweet potatoe. Let them boil for a while, then cut up the cauliflour and add that, and finally, peel, cut up and add your potatoes--those last two cook the most quickly.

Then drain and mash them suckers, and proceed in your preferred manner for making a mash. We usually use salt, pepper, butter, sour cream and milk (oops, i think i need to get sour cream, too). This mash is delicious, and is a healthy, nutritious meal. I always put more butter on the mash after i've served myself to counteract the healthy, nutritious effect.

We will probably have this with a beef sausage ring The Girl got at the store last week. For that, we will grill some onions and mushrooms and red bell pepper with the sausage.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 06:05 am
@Setanta,
I would enjoy all that bar the butter, but isn't the butter the making of it.
Sounds deeeelicious, enjoy.

Carrots & turnips mashed together, a match made in (heaven)

Now I'm off to have my porridge, no fry up for me. Sad
ehBeth

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 09:48 am
@eurocelticyankee,
yogurt (shhhhhhhh don't tell Set) is a nice replacement for sour cream in the root veggie mash

we do have a tub of the heart-healthy Becel which can be used in place of butter (but Set isn't playing along on that)

I hope the oatmeal went down well.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 02:05 pm
@ehBeth,
He's SET in his ways, maybe we should BUTTER him up.
SPREAD the news.

My porridge was lovely, thank you.