WikiLeaks about to hit the fan

failures art

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 12:42 am
@hingehead,
You perceive an oversensitivity. I'm simply talking about the already growing dialog on this. So just in case...

Assange's lawyer and the woman's lawyer on this topic: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1337132/WilkiLeaks-Julian-Assange-rape-case-politically-motivated-says-lawyer.html

Assange is building his defense on the idea his arrest is politically motivated. It seems pretty reasonable then to address the defense he is using. Certainly it's in bounds to say what we both agreed on.

A
R
T
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 12:44 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Quote:
That's a non-answer olga.

I did read the post. You suggest that it is odd for Assange to be issued a Red Notice. The tacit suggestion that this normally wouldn't happen. Finish your thought: It makes you wonder what?

Because, Art, an Interpol red notice would not normally be issued in similar circumstances. This is highly unusual.

If you can find an example of anyone who has been issued with a red notice, though not even formally charged with any crime, for a similar offense (though I think that could be difficult with "sex by surprise" . Something along the same lines will do. Wink ), then please post it.

So this is politically motivated in your opinion?

A
R
T
msolga

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 12:48 am
@failures art,
I said it was "highly unusual."
And that's what I meant.
Any one who wants to, can come to their own conclusions about why such a highly unusual red notice was posted by Interpol.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 12:51 am
HH - it's late for me now. I don't know about DoD procurement, but tomorrow I'll post a particular blog post which has captured the attention of many analysts in the DoD and IC. It is less to the current events about Assange or WL, and perhaps more to the Philoshophy. I think all people in the thread will find it interesting. It definately modified a few things I thought about Assange.

Sorry for the tease. But it's pretty good and I want to give it a bog post or it's own thread.

A
R
T
hingehead

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 12:52 am
@failures art,
Cool - see you tomorrow!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 05:07 am
@failures art,
What's pretty simple is, one, that you are contradicting yourself: you here quote yourself as saying that we would do well not to assume anything (which has been what i've said all along), but in another post (EDIT: actually, in the same post), you say that your assumptions are justified. And, two, that you're fond of setting up one straw man after another. I have not said you dragged me into anything.

The entire scenario is that you alleged that these women (and you did specify a plural) were being pressured to drop their charges. So i addressed that, and only that, pointing out that of the two women, one had dropped her charges, and done so before the entire current bruhaha had started. I have since continually pointed out that we don't know what motivated her to drop those charges. Quickly abandoning the claim that charges were dropped because of pressure from Wikileaks supporters, you came up with some nebulous statement about women being intimidated in any case of an allegation of sexual misconduct, but later jumped right back on your own particular little bandwagon, implying once again that these women are being pressured by supporters of Assange and WikiLeaks. And it was at that time that you said you thought we could assume much (which was your expression of choice).

It is a straw man to throw up in my face any claims about these charges being politically motivated because of people being out to get Assange--i have not said as much, nor was that any part of the discussion i initiated to the effect that one woman had withdrawn the charges before the current flap commenced. It is a straw man to attempt to imply that i've said you dragged me in to anything. I have made no such complaint, and fully acknowledge that i initiated this particular disagreement--because you are making assumptions for which you have no evidence, which has been the only point i have been arguing.

I don't give a rat's ass what anyone else in this thread has alleged, that's no part of my beef with the nonsense you're trying to peddle. In your post which you have linked, you say both:

Quote:
We aren't privy to the circumstances, so we shouldn't assume anything about the allegations legitimacy.

AND . . .

Quote:
Bottom line, we should be assuming much about either Assange or these women.

Yeah, it's simple--you need to get your story straight. In subsequent posts, you both attempt to defend your remark to the effect that we should be assuming much, and to reject the notion that we should assume anything (which has been my position right along). You're all over the road on this one.

So, as i have all along, i object that you have no basis for suggesting that these women are being intimidated by supporters of Assange and WikiLeaks. Telling me what somebody else has said to the effect that their charges were politically motivated by opponents of WikiLeaks has nothing to do with that--it's a straw man.

You're really bad at this kind of debate, you know?
spendius

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 07:03 am
Quote:
CalamityJane wrote:

No one ever spoke of conspiracy, that's grown on failure Arts head.

What's the point of speaking of anything else but conspiracy when conspiracy is all there is in this world of megalopolitan deviousness? All the posts on this thread, except mine of course, are aspects of some conspiracy or other. I don't even imagine that there's a fruit picker, a cow milker or a ploughman in sight. It's nothing but a word conspiracy.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 07:34 am
@Setanta,
Whatever, Set. Seriously.

You win. You always win. I was wrong.

Women do not experience feelings of intimidation bringing forth sexual allegations. A public situation would never add to that feeling intimidation. All foolish assumptions. Consider this nonsense withdrawn from the conversation. You'll not hear another word about it from me.

You know best. You're Set.

A
R
T
Setanta

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 07:37 am
Now that's some typical FART snide bullshit. What an asshole--you can't defend the bullshit position you took, so you blame me because i won't buy it. Once again, you're all over the road. Are these women alleged to be intimidated because, in your profound wisdom, you decree that all women are always intimidated in cases of alleged sexual abuse, or is it because of the political climate? What a dickhead.
failures art

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 07:39 am
@Setanta,
I've moved on Set. Come along.

A
R
T
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 07:44 am
Oh, i've been reading the rest of the thread as i go along. That has nothing to do with pointing out that you're a peddler of emotionally based bullshit which you can't substantiate. You're a legend in your own mind if you think you're the sole focus of my reading.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 08:12 am
@failures art,
Quote:
Women do not experience feelings of intimidation bringing forth sexual allegations. A public situation would never add to that feeling intimidation. All foolish assumptions. Consider this nonsense withdrawn from the conversation. You'll not hear another word about it from me.

Any woman who would bring or try to bring charges because some guy broke his promise to wear a condom is not the type to feel intimidated in my opinion at least.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 08:45 am
Assange interview with NBC today.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/40715189#40715189
JPB

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 08:55 am
An interesting bit of news - the State Department denies that the cable ordering up the collection of bio info from diplomats came from them.

Quote:
Assange insists that publishing the documents was essential to expose government wrongdoing. In particular, he has referred repeatedly to one cable that asked diplomats to gather information on United Nations staff such as their passwords, frequent flier numbers and even biometric information.

State Department officials say the cable originated from the U.S. intelligence community and deny Assange's contention that it ordered diplomats to spy. On Thursday, the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations in Geneva continued America's damage-control efforts over the document.

"I just want to assure everybody we're not collecting data on U.N. officials," Betty E. King told reporters in Geneva.Source
spendius

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 09:13 am
@JPB,
It would have been a serious exposure of incompetence and dereliction of duty if "somebody" had not ordered diplomats to spy on UN staff. UN staff want careful watching. That State Department officials deny such an allegation is neither here nor there.

"Who will rid me of this troublesome priest?" Our gracious King Henry II did not order the murder of the saint.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 09:16 am
@JPB,
Quote:
"I just want to assure everybody we're not collecting data on U.N. officials," Betty E. King told reporters in Geneva.

Was she speaking at a kindergarten birfday party?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 10:02 am
@JPB,
Interesting. Here is a lengthy interview with the British TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWAXiMIglXY&feature=player_embedded
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 10:18 am
The German DER SPIEGEL writes this

Quote:
The problem for US authorities is that Assange and WikiLeaks haven't leaked documents: They appear to have merely received leaked documents, just as the New York Times, SPIEGEL and the Guardian did when WikiLeaks made them available to journalists. So laws ensuring press freedom may protect the Australian, too.

0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 10:22 am
@CalamityJane,
Well, conspiracy theory or not, he's certainly taking the public position that he has been/is being railroaded.
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 10:25 am
@JPB,
Yes JPB, some of the foreign press think so too.
0 Replies