WikiLeaks about to hit the fan

djjd62

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 06:21 am
@spendius,
the logo is fine

hawaii should stick to pot and pineapples, not contributing to the language

although the fact that women want to give you a lei upon arrival is funny in a childish sort of way
Setanta

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 06:29 am
OK, i, unfortunately and unintentionally clicked on link under Djjd's name, and it took me to the post by Spurious to which he replies.

As usual, Spurious is lying. I checked Wikipedia, and there is no such text there. The article about Wiki in general simply describes how a wiki site functions. The article about WikiWikiWeb, the first site to use the term, says that the derivation is wiki, which is Hawaiian--and which means fast. The originator of WikiWikiWeb wanted to point up how such a technology (the wiki software) will facilitate the exchange of information, and take advantage of the speed of the internet.

Keep this in mind, folks, Spurious is a shameless liar, and he will say anything to make his booze-besotted mind appear to be wise and knowledgeable--but it isn't because he routinely lies.
Setanta

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 06:33 am
The actual text from Wikipedia's article on WikiWikiWeb wrote:
Cunningham came up with the name WikiWikiWeb because he remembered a Honolulu International Airport counter employee who told him to take the Wiki Wiki Shuttle, a shuttle bus line that runs between the airport's terminals. "Wiki Wiki" is a reduplication of "wiki," a Hawaiian language word for fast. Cunningham's idea was to make WikiWikiWeb's pages quickly editable by its users, so he initially thought about calling it "QuickWeb," but later changed his mind and dubbed it "WikiWikiWeb."

Source at Wikipedia
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 06:37 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
although the fact that women want to give you a lei upon arrival is funny in a childish sort of way

but please, no sex by surprise, it could lead to allegations, investigations and the leaking of precious information (and possibly bodily fluids)
Setanta

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 06:44 am
@djjd62,
http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/dr._strangelove_jack_ripper.jpg

General Jack D. Ripper wrote:
Do you realize that in addition to fluoridating water, why, there are studies underway to fluoridate salt, flour, fruit juices, soup, sugar, milk, ice cream? Ice cream, Mandrake? Children's ice cream!...You know when fluoridation began?...1946. 1946, Mandrake. How does that coincide with your post-war Commie conspiracy, huh? It's incredibly obvious, isn't it? A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual, and certainly without any choice. That's the way your hard-core Commie works. I first became aware of it, Mandrake, during the physical act of love...Yes, a profound sense of fatigue, a feeling of emptiness followed. Luckily I-I was able to interpret these feelings correctly. Loss of essence. I can assure you it has not recurred, Mandrake. Women, er, women sense my power, and they seek the life essence. I do not avoid women, Mandrake...but I do deny them my essence.
djjd62

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 06:46 am
@Setanta,
Wink
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 06:47 am
@djjd62,
Fewer than 10% of all "rapes", quasi-rapes (or whatever the Swedish legal definition may be) reported to authorities in Sweden ever result in a conviction. One of the accusers has already dropped her allegations, so only one person is currently alleging some offense by Assange.

If the standard statistics hold in his case he has a 90% chance of never being convicted even if charged by the Swedish prosecutors - which hasn't happened yet. As far as I can figure out the nature of the remaining allegations it's a "he said, she said" quasi-rape (sex by surprise) which is only criminal in Sweden and nowhere else - and which he denies. And my question is: how can British magistrates order him held at all? Is habeas corpus dead?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 07:10 am
According to the CBC, a court in the United Kingdom has upheld the request of Assange's legal team to grant him bail, while the extradition request from Sweden wends its way through the courts. Sympathetic groups state that they have collected the £200,000 for his bail.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 07:22 am
Quote:
Wikileaks founder Julian Assange is granted bail
16 December 2010 Last updated at 13:09 GMT
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/50453000/jpg/_50453045_010859348.jpg
Mr Assange arriving at court Mr Assange was remanded in Wandsworth Prison after his bail decision was overturned
The founder of whistle-blowing website Wikileaks, Julian Assange has been granted bail by a judge in London.

The 39-year-old was granted bail earlier this week, but prosecutors objected to the decision and he remained in jail.

The Australian is fighting extradition to Sweden over sex charges involving two women. He denies the allegations.

His supporters have offered to put up a surety of £240,000 to guarantee he surrenders to bail.

The appeal was heard at the Royal Courts of Justice in London by Mr Justice Ouseley.

Earlier the judge made a ruling banning the use of Twitter to give a blow-by-blow account of Thursday's proceedings.
'Politically motivated'

Mr Assange has received the backing of a number of high-profile supporters including human rights campaigners Jemima Khan and Bianca Jagger, and film director Ken Loach.

His website has published thousands of sensitive American diplomatic cables, details of which have appeared in the Guardian in the UK and several other newspapers around the world.
An Assange supporter Mr Assange's supporters claim the charges are politically motivated

He has come under criticism in the US where former Republican vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin has said he should be hunted down like the al-Qaeda leadership.

Mr Assange argues the allegations against him are politically motivated and designed to take attention away from the material appearing on Wikileaks.

He is accused of having unprotected sex with a woman, identified only as Miss A, when she insisted he use a condom.

He is also accused of having unprotected sex with another woman, Miss W, while she was asleep.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12005930
High Seas

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 07:25 am
This is the latest DoD cybersecurity report - don't worry about A2K getting shut down, file obtained via the Federation of American Scientists:
http://www.fas.org/irp/agency/dod/jason/cyber.pdf
One of the panel briefers claims to be an expert on Augustinean and Manichaean Science. Anybody knows what that is?!
spendius

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 07:26 am
@Setanta,
Ah Ah!! Setanta is reading my posts. Couldn't resist reading what the booze besotted mind had produced. His excuse was not worth looking into.

djjd's post made me curious so I Googled "Wikipedia" to see if it gave an explanation of why the name was chosen and I could inform him of it for his consideration.

When I found the explanation I copied it in my little mouse, returned to the thread and pasted it.

As the insults are based on an obvious falsehood I presume they are non-operative.

Setanta makes the usual error. He thinks because he "checked Wikileaks" that was all there is to it. Anybody else checking it isn't worth a sparrow fart in a hurricane.

Which, taking the three together, is some combination of bullshit. It's actually embarrassing.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 07:28 am
@msolga,
A bit more detail ...

Quote:
Britain's high court today decided to grant bail to Julian Assange, the WikiLeaks founder who is wanted in Sweden for questioning over allegations of rape.

Justice Duncan Ouseley agreed with a decision by the City of Westminister earlier in the week to release Assange on strict conditions: £200,000 cash deposit, with a further £40,000 guaranteed in two sureties of £20,000 and strict conditions on his movement.

Assange stood in a dark grey suit in the courtroom dock as Ouseley began hearing an appeal by British prosecutors acting on behalf of Sweden.

There was an early sign that the day would go in Assange's favour when Ouseley said: "The history of the way it [the case] has been dealt with by the Swedish prosecutors would give Mr Assange some basis that he might be acquitted following a trial."

The 39-year-old Australian arrived at the high court in a white prison van. Photographers swarmed around the vehicle in an attempt to get a picture. Amid intense media interest, a queue of journalists had formed as early as 6am.

Mark Stephens, one of Assange's lawyers, said before the proceedings that the bail money had been raised from Assange's supporters and "appears to be in the banking system". Stephens again complained about the conditions in which Assange had been held, describing them as Victorian.

Assange has been held in solitary confinement, released from his cell for only one hour a day, and his mail has been heavily censored, according to his supporters.

Today's hearing followed a decision by senior district judge Howard Riddle to grant Assange bail, but he remained in Wandsworth prison, where he has been held for a week, as prosecutors gave notice they would appeal. ...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/dec/16/julian-assange-wikileaks
spendius

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 08:16 am
@msolga,
Latest here is that Mr Assange was granted costs and the word is that Sweden should pay them plus the usual 10% for the CPS's trouble. Not for the time I mean which is £10 grand a minute.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 09:01 am
I'm pretty sure it's hell being a woman in a rape case or in any case involving sexual conduct. It's probably harder when people are calling you a liar. Harder still when you're being accused of being a pawn in a larger international conspiracy. Lots of women drop accusations without their case going ultra public or their names dragged through the mud.

How should one of the women dropping her allegations be read if at all? Granted Assange is innocent until proven guilty on this matter, but it seems like no restraint is being held on judging these women as being conspirators. They seem guilty in the minds of many who demand others to be viewed as innocent until proven otherwise.

A
R
T
spendius

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 09:11 am
@failures art,
Quote:
I'm pretty sure it's hell being a woman in a rape case or in any case involving sexual conduct.

I wouldn't agree that applies in every case by any stretch.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 09:16 am
@failures art,
Your response ignores that this woman dropped the charges before the international bruhaha over Assange began.
BillRM

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 09:21 am
@failures art,
Given that this charge is call sex by surprise and have something to do with him lying about wearing a condom it must be hard on a woman who bring such bullshit charges forward indeed.

One wonder if a woman lie to a man about being on birth control she could be charge with sex by surprise also.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 09:29 am
The primary issue of the rape charge is nothing but government intimidation. Any woman can charge rape; how many innocent men have been charged? How will the government prove their case?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 09:32 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Your response ignores that this woman dropped the charges before the international bruhaha over Assange began.

I believe only one of the two women dropped charges. The details of the charges may be made public at the extradition hearing. Until then, it is unfair to criticize Assange's accuser.

Quote:
An initial hearing on Assange's extradition will be held on January 11, largely for administrative purposes.

The more substantive hearing is scheduled for February 7-8.

-Associated Press
JPB

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 09:40 am
@dlowan,
Thanks for posting those articles, deb.

Quote:
The steady decline of investigative journalism caused by diminishing funding is an undeniable fact. Journalism these days amounts to little more than outsourced PR remixing. The continuous acceleration and over-crowding of the so-called attention economy ensures there is no longer enough room for complicated stories. The corporate owners of mass circulation media are increasingly disinclined to see the workings and the politics of the global neoliberal economy discussed at length. The shift from information to infotainment has been embraced by journalists themselves, making it difficult to publish complex stories. WikiLeaks enters this state of affairs as an outsider, enveloped by the steamy ambiance of "citizen journalism", DIY news reporting in the blogosphere and even faster social media like Twitter.

If there's any single thing that wraps up what is key to me in all of this it's the dependency that free peoples have on a free press (alluded to previous in the articles about how undeniable it is the our elected leaders have been deceiving us). What's becoming more clear is that there is very little free press in the world and if a free people can't trust their elected leadership or their supposed watchdogs (the press), then where do they turn to? Unadulterated leaks - which may or may not be a good thing in the details, but it's apparently necessary to get even the slightest bit of truth out of the big picture.
0 Replies