WikiLeaks about to hit the fan

msolga

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 02:29 am
@hawkeye10,
However, the current thinking of the Chinese leadership is now on world-wide public record. Due to Wikileaks.
Let the North Korean leadership make of those statements what it will.
I seriously doubt they'd feel encouraged, or anywhere near as confident of automatic Chinese support, as they did before the leaks.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 02:40 am
@msolga,
Quote:
However, the current thinking of the Chinese leadership is now on public record. Due to Wikileaks
What makes you so sure that the current thinking is on record? It could be that the current gibberish directed at the ROK and USA are now on record, and nothing else.
msolga

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 02:41 am
@hawkeye10,
Because they were leaked, from official sources, silly! Wink
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 02:43 am
Once again, from the Guardian site:

Quote:
US embassy cables: browse the database

Use our interactive guide to discover what has been revealed in the leak of 250,000 US diplomatic cables. Mouse over the map below to find key stories and a selection of original documents by country, subject or people.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/interactive/2010/nov/28/us-embassy-cables-wikileaks
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 06:23 am
is it just me, or does the US have it's panties in a bigger twist over these leaks than it did the mostly military ones of the first round

look, everybody said some **** about everybody else lets just man up and move on, as i stated before, i believe most of the portrayals of foreign powers are correct, and any country who doesn't know what other countries thinks about them are either stupid or in denial (after all they think the same way about others)

this all reminds me of a girl i worked with, who talked about everyone we worked with, but claimed not to never talk about you while she was bad mouthing everyone else
Ionus

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 06:31 am
Not sure what was said on previous posts here, but just on our news tonight they have released the name of the man held responsible. I think he worked in a sig center but they only say he worked in intelligence. I find it hard to believe it was all done by one person. The range and the volume speak of several positions or people.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 09:56 am
@djjd62,
Oh oh, sounds as if you're living with an "Alice in Wonderland" attitude. You gotta buck up and grab a pair of balls to play with the big boys... lol
JPB

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 10:16 am
@msolga,
Something you didn't bold, msolga, is the thing I think is key here.

Quote:
If anything endangered confidential informers, it was the decision to disseminate their information on an intranet with a potential audience of 3 million.

Indeed.

Also, I'm not the least bit surprised that Hillary is trying to make hay out of the leaks.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 10:40 am
@Ceili,
unless i'm missing something in your comment, i think my way is having the balls, man up to the fact that you talked smack about folks, and either don't do it anymore, do it in the open or do it in such a way that you don't get caught in the future
Ceili

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 10:59 am
@djjd62,
I was referring to all us Canucks... re: today's headlines.
djjd62

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 11:04 am
@Ceili,
oh, out of the loop news wise this morning
Ceili

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 11:05 am
@djjd62,
No worries.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 11:06 am
@djjd62,
Here you go...

Quote:
Ottawa, Canada (CNN) -- Scrupulously silent in public but colorfully candid in person, the former head of Canada's spy agency didn't hold back in a meeting with a senior U.S. State Department official in July 2008. It was a meeting that he had assumed would stay private and the content classified.

According to the cable marked "secret," but now part of the WikiLeaks document dump, Jim Judd admits his spy agency, the Canadian Security Intelligence Service, or CSIS, was "increasingly distracted from its mission by legal challenges that could endanger foreign intelligence-sharing with Canadian agencies."

According to the cable, he complains about Canadians having an "Alice in Wonderland' world view and goes on to describe Canadian courts "whose judges have tied CSIS 'in knots,' making it ever more difficult to detect and prevent terror attacks in Canada and abroad." More
djjd62

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 11:11 am
@JPB,
i guess i did hear that this morning on the news (i forgot), i've always felt CSIS was a completely useless organization, let the RCMP handle the terrorism cases in my opinion
Irishk

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 12:00 pm
Assange is threatening to leak on the Russians. He must have a death wish. Of course, we'll be blamed.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 12:06 pm
@Irishk,
His next target (per an interview in Forbes, I believe) is a major American bank. And he says it's a doozy.

http://blogs.forbes.com/andygreenberg/2010/11/29/wikileaks-julian-assange-wants-to-spill-your-corporate-secrets/

Quote:
Early next year, Julian Assange says, a major American bank will suddenly find itself turned inside out. Tens of thousands of its internal documents will be exposed on Wikileaks.org with no polite requests for executives’ response or other forewarnings. The data dump will lay bare the finance firm’s secrets on the Web for every customer, every competitor, every regulator to examine and pass judgment on.

When? Which bank? What documents? Cagey as always, Assange won’t say, so his claim is impossible to verify. But he has always followed through on his threats. Sitting for a rare interview in a London garden flat on a rainy November day, he compares what he is ready to unleash to the damning e-mails that poured out of the Enron trial: a comprehensive vivisection of corporate bad behavior. “You could call it the ecosystem of corruption,” he says, refusing to characterize the coming release in more detail. “But it’s also all the regular decision making that turns a blind eye to and supports unethical practices: the oversight that’s not done, the priorities of executives, how they think they’re fulfilling their own self-interest.”
[...]

Already U.S. laws wrapped into financial reform this year expand whistleblower incentives to offer six- and seven-digit rewards to staffers in any industry who report malfeasance.(1) Wiki­Leaks adds another, new form of corporate data breach: It offers the conscience-stricken and vindictive alike a chance to publish documents largely unfiltered, without censors or personal repercussions, thanks to privacy and encryption technologies that make anonymity easier than ever before. Wiki­Leaks’ technical and ideological example has inspired copycats from Africa to China and rallied transparency advocates to push for a new, legal promised land in the unlikely haven of Iceland. It’s also fueling a race in the cyber­security industry and in Washington to find technology that can plug information leaks once for all…

Wikileaks is going to mean the end of casual information security for a lot of groups. It has the potential to fundamentally change our society. I have zero problem with their mission or anything that they are doing, because the 'secrecy' they protect is generally embarassing for the countries and companies involved.

The culture of perpetual secrecy has grown, and grown, and grown... it's nice to see society finally fighting back against the perpetual tide of control that the rich and powerful would like to impose on all of us.

Cycloptichorn
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 12:13 pm
@Irishk,
Quote:
He must have a death wish.
He knows that he is a target...he has long taken elaborate defensive measures. I suspect that it will not matter, that he will be dead soon. Secrecy is a requirement for civil functioning, and this fool has become very disruptive of civilization. He has to go.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 12:15 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
He must have a death wish.
He knows that he is a target...he has long taken elaborate defensive measures. I suspect that it will not matter, that he will be dead soon. Secrecy is a requirement for civil functioning, and this fool has become very disruptive of civilization. He has to go.

Haha, nothing - nothing - tells me that my opinion is correct as much as seeing you disagree with it, Hawk.

Cycloptichorn
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 12:37 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Haha, nothing - nothing - tells me that my opinion is correct as much as seeing you disagree with it, Hawk
It does not matter how highly you esteem your opinion, or lowly you esteem mine.....facts are outside the influence of opinion, we will either soon have a corpse or we will not.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 12:41 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Haha, nothing - nothing - tells me that my opinion is correct as much as seeing you disagree with it, Hawk
It does not matter how highly you esteem your opinion, or lowly you esteem mine.....facts are outside the influence of opinion, we will either soon have a corpse or we will not.

Are you really cheering for the guy to get killed?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies