WikiLeaks about to hit the fan

wandeljw

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 11:46 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Thanks for all your help, Walter.

I just noticed the joke that you made earlier:
Quote:
@wandeljw,

Well, I'm not sure about the legal (sic!) possibilities.
But there might be some secret agreements as we've read in .... oooops, sorry.

Good One!
BillW

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 12:24 pm
Don't forget the US is at war against Terrorism. It can declare Assange an enemy combatant and hold him indefinitely. Real, real vague, slippery slopes.........
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 12:28 pm
@wandeljw,
I'm not sure, of wandel or failures art are allowed to have a look at it, but for all the others:
http://i54.tinypic.com/28wgyty.jpg
WikiLeaks: The Game

High Seas

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 01:22 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Clicking on a Google News link entitled http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/wikileaks/8199545/Julian-Assanges-online-dating-profile-I-am-danger-achtung.html brings up the following:
Quote:
Sorry
We cannot find the page you are looking for. The page may have been moved, updated or deleted.

The same Google news item contains also a link to " http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1338239/WikiLeaks-boss-Julian-Assange-Im-87-slutty-physically-pugnacious.html?ito=feeds-newsxml "which works.

That was as of 3 minutes ago - can somebody outside the US check it? Google's news sweep is usually real-time. Thanks.

Edit: on a separate, private, very high speed network, the first link works:
Quote:
Wikileaks
Julian Assange's online dating profile: 'I am danger, achtung'
An online dating profile created by Julian Assange has been unearthed, disclosing that the WikiLeaks editor sought "spirited, erotic" women "from countries that have sustained political turmoil".
An online dating profile created by Julian Assange has been unearthed, disclosing that the WikiLeaks editor sought 'spirited, erotic' women 'from countries that have sustained political turmoil'
Mr Assange said viewers should contact him if they were 'spirited, erotic, nonconformist'
Jon Swaine
By Jon Swaine 5:50PM GMT 13 Dec 2010

Using the name Harry Harrison, Mr Assange created a page on the site OKCupid, the self-proclaimed "best dating site on Earth", which he last accessed in December 2006.

"WARNING," he began. "Want a regular, down to earth guy? Keep moving. I am not the droid you're looking for. Save us both while you still can."

Describing himself as a "passionate, and often pig headed activist intellectual", he said he was seeking a "siren for [a] love affair, children and occasional criminal conspiracy", He told visitors he was "directing a consuming, dangerous human rights project which is, as you might expect, male dominated" and added enigmatically: "I am DANGER, ACHTUNG".

Related Articles

The Scarlet Pimpernel of cyberspace
07 Dec 2010
WikiLeaks: new diplomatic cables contain UFO details, Julian Assange says
13 Dec 2010
Julian Assange - the Scarlet Pimpernel of cyberspace
13 Dec 2010
WikiLeaks' Julian Assange 'taking precautions' after death threats
13 Dec 2010
WikiLeaks: British police asked to join hunt for Julian Assange
13 Dec 2010
WikiLeaks: Amazon stops hosting website publishing leaked US diplomatic documents
13 Dec 2010

While declaring himself "pretty intellectually and physically pugnacious," however, he was careful to stress he had a caring side. "I am very protective of women and children," he said.

Among Mr Assange's listed interests were the "structure of reality" and "chopping up human brains" – although he added the caveat "(neuroscience background)" lest the latter put off potential admirers.

He said applicants should be "of high intelligence, though not necessarily formally educated" and "be able to think strategically about the world and the people she cares about".

"I like women from countries that have sustained political turmoil," he wrote. "Western culture seems to forge women that are valueless and inane. OK. Not only women!"

Asked for the "most private thing" he was willing to admit, Mr Assange said he had "Asian teengirl stalkers". He said viewers should contact him if they were "spirited, erotic, nonconformist".

A section of Mr Assange’s profile detailing online quizzes he had completed showed he had been ranked strongly Left-wing and atheist, as well as “87 per cent slut".

Mr Assange, 39, is currently being held in Wandsworth prison awaiting potential extradition to Sweden. He is accused of rape and sexual molestation, which he denies.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 01:41 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Both links work here fine.

From the Telegraph (see link above):
Quote:

WikiLeaks: Julian Assange's online dating profile: 'I am danger, achtung'
An online dating profile created by Julian Assange has been unearthed, disclosing that the WikiLeaks editor sought "spirited, erotic" women "from countries that have sustained political turmoil".

http://i52.tinypic.com/6ektmo.jpg

Using the name Harry Harrison, Mr Assange created a page on the site OKCupid, the self-proclaimed "best dating site on Earth", which he last accessed in December 2006.
"WARNING," he began. "Want a regular, down to earth guy? Keep moving. I am not the droid you're looking for. Save us both while you still can."
Describing himself as a "passionate, and often pig headed activist intellectual", he said he was seeking a "siren for [a] love affair, children and occasional criminal conspiracy", He told visitors he was "directing a consuming, dangerous human rights project which is, as you might expect, male dominated" and added enigmatically: "I am DANGER, ACHTUNG".

While declaring himself "pretty intellectually and physically pugnacious," however, he was careful to stress he had a caring side. "I am very protective of women and children," he said.
Among Mr Assange's listed interests were the "structure of reality" and "chopping up human brains" – although he added the caveat "(neuroscience background)" lest the latter put off potential admirers.
He said applicants should be "of high intelligence, though not necessarily formally educated" and "be able to think strategically about the world and the people she cares about".
"I like women from countries that have sustained political turmoil," he wrote. "Western culture seems to forge women that are valueless and inane. OK. Not only women!"
Asked for the "most private thing" he was willing to admit, Mr Assange said he had "Asian teengirl stalkers". He said viewers should contact him if they were "spirited, erotic, nonconformist".
A section of Mr Assange’s profile detailing online quizzes he had completed showed he had been ranked strongly Left-wing and atheist, as well as “87 per cent slut".
Mr Assange, 39, is currently being held in Wandsworth prison awaiting potential extradition to Sweden. He is accused of rape and sexual molestation, which he denies.

0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 01:47 pm
@High Seas,
P.S. all links including the 2 posted now work on public and private US networks. Maybe an internet hiccup? Walter - thanks from me also for update on international law, but internet laws move much more slowly than the net. US law generally prohibits prior restraint; here's one precedent:
Quote:
The United States went to court to enjoin publication of an article scheduled to appear in the left-wing magazine, The Progressive. The article, "The H-Bomb Secret: How We Got It and Why We're Telling It," was essentially a how-to-do-it account for anyone wanting to build an atomic bomb. Reasoning that the article presented a clear and present danger of speeding the efforts of foreign nations or terrorist groups interested in developing atomic weapons, a Wisconsin federal district judge issued an injunction against publication. (Later, the story was published outside the United States, making the case moot. To date, no direct harm has been traced to the story.....")
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 02:03 pm
Quote:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6BB1LG20101213?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews&rpc=76

Special Report: Julian Assange versus the world

By Mark Hosenball
WASHINGTON | Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:40pm EST

(Editing by Jim Impoco and Claudia Parsons)
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 02:09 pm
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
To be honest, it's unclear if it is Ted Rall who writes this as an editorial or if he just posted a cable of an U.S. staffer. Usually only wikileaks staffers can post on facebook.com/wikileaks.

It's pretty clear to me. Ted Rall is a published author and political cartoonist who
wrote this piece for Commondreams.org that references some WL material.
CommonDreams.org is a pretty well known collective of progressive writers
Quote:
About Us
Who we are.

CommonDreams.org is a national nonprofit, progressive, nonpartisan citizens' organization founded in 1997 by political activists Craig Brown and his late wife, Lina Newhouser.

I was railing against the idea that you could denigrate content just because it appeared on Facebook. A silly idea.

We are a powerful online voice for change in America.

With millions of monthly readers, we have become one of the top progressive websites.

The wikeleaks facebook page simply put in a link the piece because it thought it was relevent.

roger

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 02:18 pm
@BillW,
BillW wrote:

Don't forget the US is at war against Terrorism. It can declare Assange an enemy combatant and hold him indefinitely. Real, real vague, slippery slopes.........

I gotta tell you something, Bill. Terms like 'terrorism' and 'weapons of mass destruction' have been stretched to the breaking point and beyond.
BillW

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 02:23 pm
@roger,
Doesn't matter we are still at war - declared by that bastion of conservatism - GWB -
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 02:28 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

Quote:
To be honest, it's unclear if it is Ted Rall who writes this as an editorial or if he just posted a cable of an U.S. staffer. Usually only wikileaks staffers can post on facebook.com/wikileaks.

It's pretty clear to me. Ted Rall is a published author and political cartoonist who
wrote this piece for Commondreams.org that references some WL material.
CommonDreams.org is a pretty well known collective of progressive writers
Quote:
About Us
Who we are.

CommonDreams.org is a national nonprofit, progressive, nonpartisan citizens' organization founded in 1997 by political activists Craig Brown and his late wife, Lina Newhouser.

I was railing against the idea that you could denigrate content just because it appeared on Facebook. A silly idea.

We are a powerful online voice for change in America.

With millions of monthly readers, we have become one of the top progressive websites.

The wikeleaks facebook page simply put in a link the piece because it thought it was relevent.

That's funny, hingehead. One of the sentences in the Common Dreams mission statement is a non-sequitor. Can you see which one I am talking about? Smile
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 02:37 pm
A lot of action last night boys and girls.

Daniel Ellsberg, a US citizen, working for the Rand Corporation, on US soil, released Top Secret documents and was charged with espionage. The case was dismissed. No-one was charged for the described in the information that Ellsberg leaked.

The wikileaks organisation received 251,287 US diplomatic cables. Of which over 130,000 of the documents are unclassified, some 100,000 are labeled "confidential", about 15,000 documents have the higher classification "secret", and none are classified as "top secret".

It's hard not to see the flailing about on this issue as largely about face saving. Targeting Assange distracts and mollifies the public.

Why hasn't there been more outcry from you about this:
Quote:
In July 2009, a confidential cable originating from the United States Department of State, and under U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton's name, ordered U.S. diplomats to spy on Ban Ki-moon, Secretary-General of the United Nations, and other top U.N. officials. The intelligence information the diplomats were ordered to gather included biometric information, passwords, and personal encryption keys used in private and commercial networks for official communications. The targeted information was requested in a process known as the National Humint Collection Directive, and was aimed at foreign diplomats of U.S. allies as well.

Is the State Department currently rifling through any law books to bring charges against Clinton with the same fervour as they are for Assange? It would be a lot easier to make something stick to the former for this clear illegality.
JPB

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 02:44 pm
@hingehead,
More outcry from us? Why isn't there more outcry from those targeted?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 02:49 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Perhaps because UN officials expect to be spied upon.

Considering the way many of them acted with the corrupt Oil for Food program, I don't think keeping an eye on them is such a bad thing.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 03:31 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Perhaps because UN officials expect to be spied upon.

Considering the way many of them acted with the corrupt Oil for Food program, I don't think keeping an eye on them is such a bad thing.

Well, that's why all nations of some kind of secret service and spy organisations.

But mentioned above are normal diplomats ... you know, Finn, those with a diplomat passport, CD-number plate, immunity etc
hingehead

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 03:59 pm
@JPB,
Quote:

Because it was breaking your law in your country. Rolling Eyes
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 04:02 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Half the "diplomats" in the UN are spies.

Are you suggesting that there is a class of people who should be exempt from being spied upon?
hingehead

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 04:03 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:

Thank you for that fine legal opinion. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 04:04 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Are you suggesting that there is a class of people who should be exempt from being spied upon?

I'm suggesting both your law and international law say it's illegal.

Sometimes I can't tell if your head is in the sand or up your arse.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 04:14 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Half the "diplomats" in the UN are spies.

I don't know from where you got such knowledge. But since you seem to be an expert, I take your word for it.

I'm not saying who should be exempt from spied on or why.
But that's usually not what diplomats do - you certainly remember that from the training for Foreign Service Officers.